Smuggling Alcohol and avoiding the so-called "Naughty Room"

LesterJLV

What about the little airline sized bottles? I have a couple scattered thru my luggage (in iwth my toiletries and in another bag of miscellaneous stuff like duct tape etc)

Do they pull you to the naughty room for airline bottles, or save the time and space for the "big time" offenders?

What about the little airline sized bottles? I have a couple scattered thru my luggage (in iwth my toiletries and in another bag of miscellaneous stuff like duct tape etc)

Do they pull you to the naughty room for airline bottles, or save the time and space for the "big time" offenders?

There have been some posts saying that worked. I haven't seen any saying that they were flagged for those small bottles. But I guess it could happen.

I'm sure we will! Just a little over a week till we go, so we've started finding clothes that don't work in the snow and thinking "but I'll wear it in Hawaii" ;)

Back to the smuggling discussion...We've been called to the naughty room once when the xray picked up our 6 pack of pepsi in plastic bottles. It wasn't a big deal, they looked and saw it was soda and said "oops, sorry". Usually we just bring some pop in our carryon-I don't remember why it was in our checked baggage this particular time.

To me, the smuggling is probably more hastle than it's worth (especially if a container should decide to break in my bags), but I personally don't care if someone decides to do it. But I don't like it when they come to the board to complain that they smuggled, got caught and the cruiseline sucks for enforcing the rule.

pretty much my view: there was a time when even though the policy was no booze to be brought on we din't pay much attention because it seemed to be theory only. Actually this has been the policy of all lines for 10 or more years. When it became apparent that NCL and a few others meant business we decided to stop playing games and just do the bar set up. I will add one thing: I know I will get slammed probably, I really don't care if you want to smuggle, I don't want to hear you bitch about getting caught and please confine the smuggled booze to your cabin. I really do have a problem with those who see nothing wrong with pouring a glass of wine they have smuggled onto the ship and taking it to the dining. I think that is pushing the buttom a bit too far.

Nita

I really do have a problem with those who see nothing wrong with pouring a glass of wine they have smuggled onto the ship and taking it to the dining. I think that is pushing the buttom a bit too far.

Nita

Yep, that's tacky, but if they buy a glass of wine and keep it (the glass) and refill it from their cabin-you & I won't even notice...but if they use a water glass, that's when we'll all know ;)

Yep, that's tacky, but if they buy a glass of wine and keep it and refill it from their cabin-you & I won't even notice...but if they use a water glass, that's when we'll all know ;)

I rather liked the discussion about a year ago about bringing the 5 liter box to the dining room. AS for not knowing if it is in a wine glass of course you are right, I still think iwe need to support the bars as well. I don't like to, but I do.

Nita

ps I think the 5 liter discussion was on RCI if I remember right.

Yep, that's tacky, but if they buy a glass of wine and keep it and refill it from their cabin-you & I won't even notice...but if they use a water glass, that's when we'll all know ;)

I rather liked the discussion about a year ago about bringing the 5 liter box to the dining room. AS for not knowing if it is in a wine glass of course you are right, I still think i need to support the bars as well. I don't like to, but I do.

Nita

ps I think the 5 liter discussion was on RCI if I remember right.

There have been some posts saying that worked. I haven't seen any saying that they were flagged for those small bottles. But I guess it could happen.

thanks, I guess I'll come back in 2 weeks and let you know how it worked!

I purchased a setup, but I bought little bottles to mix into the vodka.........kahlua for black russians and cointreau for cosmos (can't find a small triple sec so I'm going to try this sub)

If they should "catch" me, I certainly won't come back here to complain. That's the risk you take when you break the rules.

thanks, I guess I'll come back in 2 weeks and let you know how it worked!

I purchased a setup, but I bought little bottles to mix into the vodka.........kahlua for black russians and cointreau for cosmos (can't find a small triple sec so I'm going to try this sub)

If they should "catch" me, I certainly won't come back here to complain. That's the risk you take when you break the rules.

Good enough (but in 2 weeks I'll be on my cruise :D )! I hope you have a great cruise!!! I think since you're not overloading your bag with the small bottles you'll be fine.

I sure wish they offered bar setups on the Hawaii cruises-oh well, that's the breaks!

:confused: Can someone explain exactly how the "bar set-up" works. We will be going on our first cruise next month and I was a little concerned about this pay per drinks thing (we have always done all inclusive resorts in the past) Also it sounded like they allow you to bring pop or bottled water with you on board, just not alcohol??

:confused: Can someone explain exactly how the "bar set-up" works. We will be going on our first cruise next month and I was a little concerned about this pay per drinks thing (we have always done all inclusive resorts in the past) Also it sounded like they allow you to bring pop or bottled water with you on board, just not alcohol??
all the soda and water you want can be brought on board, as for the bar set up. It needs to be ordered at least 2 weeks prior to sailing. You can send an email to shipcoordinatorXXncl.com. Of course the XX is the name of the ship. They usually answer very promptly (maybe an hour or so) with prices for bottles. You choose what you want, give them a CC and the booze will be waiting for you. The charge for standard brands like Johnny Walker Red scotch, Absolute Vodka, etc is $40 for a liter bottle plus a $3 service charge.

Nita

Good enough (but in 2 weeks I'll be on my cruise :D )! I hope you have a great cruise!!! I think since you're not overloading your bag with the small bottles you'll be fine.

I sure wish they offered bar setups on the Hawaii cruises-oh well, that's the breaks!

Tell ya what, we're sailing on the 20th and going to Paradise Beach in Cozumel on the 22nd (where I can have 15 minutes free internet).

IF I get a chance, I'll come back an let you know how it worked out! :D

all the soda and water you want can be brought on board, as for the bar set up. It needs to be ordered at least 2 weeks prior to sailing. You can send an email to shipcoordinatorXXncl.com. Of course the XX is the name of the ship. They usually answer very promptly (maybe an hour or so) with prices for bottles. You choose what you want, give them a CC and the booze will be waiting for you. The charge for standard brands like Johnny Walker Red scotch, Absolute Vodka, etc is $40 for a liter bottle plus a $3 service charge.

Nita

Nita,

Thank you for the info!

Then he will pay whatever the ship charges per drink which is much more than if he had a bar set up. Giving someone an option may be a good thing. :)

To the Original Poster: Are you sure you can afford a cruise?

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

Winnie

I thought this response was rude and obnoxious. Exactly who are you to question the OP if he can afford a cruise. A lot of people scrimp and save very, very hard to have what may be a once in a lifetime experience for them. the OP said he was the dad of 3 kids. Instead of questioning his ability to afford the cruise he should have been praised for at least making the effort. I certainly hope he has a fantastic cruise and if he gets on with liquor then good luck to him.

Tell ya what, we're sailing on the 20th and going to Paradise Beach in Cozumel on the 22nd (where I can have 15 minutes free internet).

IF I get a chance, I'll come back an let you know how it worked out! :D

Thanks. I sent you an email - I hope you get it.

bring your own RUBBING ALCOHOL, pine sol and disinfectant to avoid getting the Norwalk Virus!

I have found every one of your posts to be quite rude and obnoxious. Please stop posting unless you are going to contribute to the cruise experience. If you were not happy with your cruise post a review listing both pros and cons that is understandable. Your one line posts aren't well balanced.

I never said I was going on a cruise with my 3 boys, I was just explaining why I have to scrimp and save to afford this cruise. By the way, I just wanted to have a few drinks in my room. I will be purchasing drinks at the bars and on the decks.

• Administrators
I never said I was going on a cruise with my 3 boys, I was just explaining why I have to scrimp and save to afford this cruise. By the way, I just wanted to have a few drinks in my room. I will be purchasing drinks at the bars and on the decks.

Good gracious... you'd think we were discussing tipping or jeans in the dining room! ;)

Here's the bottom line -- any "tips for smuggling booze" posted here are things NCL (among the strictest of cruiselines) and other cruiselines know already -- including Rum Runners.

It's a total crap shoot/luck of the draw/alignment of the stars as to the particular x-ray machine, x-ray machine monitor, security station monitor, etc. you happen to get on your cruise. That's why some report "no problem" and others report "2 hours in line in the naughty room." On POH this past summer the first bag delivered to our cabin (within 45 minutes) was our suitcase which contained nothing but (completely allowed) soft drinks, green tea, and water -- I mean a total of 72 bottles of this stuff. No questions were asked, no note, no naughty room visit so they could check it out. Our other luggage, which had diddly but clothes and toiletries, wasn't delivered until after sailing.

If it's important to you, try it. Expect that it might fail and have a backup plan. For us, personally, spending 1-2 hours of vacation time in the naughty room isn't worth the incremental cost difference between smuggling hard liquor and purchasing a bar setup, or paying the corkage fee for wine. Your balance of time/money might be different. All you can do is give it a shot!

Archived