Experimenting with wigs

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I so badly want to drastically color my hair, just to see how it will look, but I am so afraid in case I hate it. That being said, I thought of buying/ trying on a wig. Anyone ever do this? I'm afraid of being looked at like a weirdo if I just go into a wig store and just try but not buy. But if I really like a wig I may but it, I just think I will feel a little odd because I have no medical necessity. Anyone else ever have these same ideas? What did you do? And has anyone bought a wig when there was no medical necessity and worn it just because? And how do they stay on? Thanks!!

I felt just like you my first visit to a wig store, I try on several wigs I did not buy any that day, just said I had to think about it. A few months later I bought one, now I wear a wig just about every day. I have know medical reason to wear a wig, I just love how easy it is to get ready in the morning. Use to take me an hour doing my hair now I am ready in 5 minutes. On a cruise there wonderful, I don't like sitting in a cabin doing my hair for so long. Now I am ready in less then 5 minutes. There are some wonderful wig stores on line not to expensive. I have been wearing one for 5 years now and will never go back. Teresa

There are some online sites where you can do this and you don't have to waste the time of a salesperson in a store.

You go to the site, upload your photo and then they have dozens of different hairstyles in various colors that you can virtually try on.

Once you select a few that you like, you can print up the photos and take them to a good stylist to discuss if the look would work with your particular hair, coloring, etc.

I don't recall the url of the site, but I'm sure it would be easy to search.

And has anyone bought a wig when there was no medical necessity and worn it just because?

One of the women in my group on my Explorer cruise - we even ended up at the same dinner table - has several different wigs that she wears. One of the things we would wonder about while waiting for her to come to dinner (she ALWAYS seemed to be a little late) was - which hair is Marlo wearing tonight?

I don't know her well enough to say with certainty that there was no medical necessity, but I suspect there was not. She was on the older side but very much into fashion and cosmetics (and rather heavy-handed with the latter) - maybe her hair had not aged as gracefully as she felt the rest of her had :p so she got the wigs to keep up her "look"?

And has anyone bought a wig when there was no medical necessity and worn it just because? And how do they stay on? Thanks!!

Yes, I have.

I have dark redhair, almost shoulder length, and pale, pale skin.

Once for a Halloween party I wanted a very dramatic almost Goth look and bought a cheap black wig in a "China Chop" style. (bought it from Rickys) I wore heavy, heavy black eye make-up and bright red lips and my husband loved the look. At the party, people that knew me thought that it was my hair and that I had cut it into that style and put a dark rinse through it for the party.

Because of the positive comments, I then sometimes wore the wig when we went out to dinner - without the heavy eye make-up. My husband thought it was very cool looking and when I ran into friends I got very positive comments.

Someone borrowed it, never returned it, and I never looked for another. But now, I think you've inspired me to go buy another! ;)

Oh and no problem with it staying on. It fit snugly. (though I woudln't go sky diving in it!)

I'm an actress and I wear them a lot - it's so fun, I told my friend I was going to start wearing them going out... and I do! I have very short red hair, which I like a LOT - so this is just a super fun way to KICK IT UP a few notches...

I buy my wigs on ebay.

I love to experiment with different looks for my hair. Sometimes I wear my natural hair, sometimes a sew-in weave, sometimes clip-in extensions and sometimes wigs. I've worn all four looks on a cruise (not the same cruise though!) and since you asked about wigs I would definitely wear one on a cruise again. It was so easy getting ready in the morning and it was fun to test drive a new look. Go for it, be be careful when out on deck or anywhere else it's windy (although you shouldn't have any problems with it coming off but it was always in the back of my mind).

I have 5 or 6 clip in pieces I wear. Different styles, straight, curly, messy, and I took a few on our last cruise. Sure made life easier. I've been "growing out" for a while, but still have a "puny" tail instead of a pony tail. I never was brave enough to wear them out by the pool etc., just to dinner or a show. It was pretty windy on deck. I think I might get a full head wig too.

• 3 weeks later...

Wigs, extensions, etc. just look plain tacky (unless you are really shooting for the NASCAR-set look). Just color your hair....let a professional advise you about coloring, or it will stand out like a sore thumb. You will get used to it, and if not, you can change it or let it grow out.

Wigs, extensions, etc. just look plain tacky (unless you are really shooting for the NASCAR-set look). Just color your hair....let a professional advise you about coloring, or it will stand out like a sore thumb. You will get used to it, and if not, you can change it or let it grow out.

SMH This is a very wide generalization and I'd venture to say if it's a GOOD wig/weave you won't even know the difference. Maybe the women you have encountered have just been throwing any old kind of thing up on their heads. I know plenty of women that wear wigs or "falls" (half-wigs) on a regular basis and one doesn't even know the difference unless they volunteer the information.

MissSnoopy if you like it, DO IT! You're the one that has to feel comfortable in it. Make sure that however you wear your hair you're confident in doing so and I'm sure you'll look Fab!!! ;)

I just bought my first wig about a month ago, I wasn't happy with the volume it gave me(I have very thin hair) I sold it on ebay and bought another one, the first one was on final sale, the next one I think is great! On Sunday, I'm going to do up my own hair and take a good picture of it and then I'm going to take a picture of me in the wig and post it. I want every one to give me thier honest opinion. It feels great, and fits very well. My hair doesn't grow so I agree that a wig will let you try a color you think will work instead of recoloring it and damaging your hair. For the price of a professional color job, you can do the same with a wig or cheaper! Try beautytrends.com, you can return them unless you get the final sale ones. Good luck,

Happy cruising, Pam

Wigs, extensions, etc. just look plain tacky (unless you are really shooting for the NASCAR-set look). Just color your hair....let a professional advise you about coloring, or it will stand out like a sore thumb. .

I totally disagree and think you're overgeneralizing.

There are plenty of women wearing wigs, for fashion or loss of hair reasons, and we never know, unless it's someone we know.

Same with extensions. Often I only know because I saw the person recently and knew that it was impossible for their hair to grow 5 inches in a few weeks!

I have no idea what the NASCAR-set style is, but assure you that here in NYC, some of the most fashionable women look very natural and chic in their wigs and extensions. Not a sore thumb in sight!

I see you are from the Chicago area. If you feel up to it just go into a shop and talk with a salesperson or even call on the phone to get a feel for the place. I would definetly try the wig on to get the actual feel and look and then go from there. There are so many different tones, shades, colors and your own skin, eyebrow color, etc... You could have some fun really. If you have a good friend maybe take her along too. I think its a great idea before taking the plunge of coloring your hair and if you decide you might like to just wear wigs, well that is great too! Dont worry about "being looked at like a weirdo" when you go though. You go and you go with a purpose (no matter what it ends up being)!:D

I totally disagree and think you're overgeneralizing.

There are plenty of women wearing wigs, for fashion or loss of hair reasons, and we never know, unless it's someone we know.

Same with extensions. Often I only know because I saw the person recently and knew that it was impossible for their hair to grow 5 inches in a few weeks!

I have no idea what the NASCAR-set style is, but assure you that here in NYC, some of the most fashionable women look very natural and chic in their wigs and extensions. Not a sore thumb in sight!

Well said,Jane. I's sure you will agree that Robin from Good Morning America does not look tacky with her wig.And I'm always amazed when I see her with her bald head and then the wig about how natural the wig looks.

Laura

Well said,Jane. I's sure you will agree that Robin from Good Morning America does not look tacky with her wig.And I'm always amazed when I see her with her bald head and then the wig about how natural the wig looks.

Laura

Yes, I agree. And she looked inspiringly beautiful the other day in her red dress and bald head. But that's digressing to another issue entirely. darn that thread drift!

Archived