Must do, should do, and where in caribbean

We've decided to do the following things on AOS on the March 30 cruise.....where would you do them? Our ports are St. Martin, St. Thomas, Cuacou (sp?) and Aruba

1 - dolphin encounter

2 - One full beach day, we dont mind people but dont want wall to wall ppl. We dont mind music as long as we can still enjoy the beach, some swimming, and we dont mind beach bar type atmosphere.....

3 - Pirates Ship - sail, snorkel and lunch

4 - Shopping (could be combined with some of the above) Exploring the surroundings, town...

Suggestions? I have some ideas:

1 - beach day orient beach in St. Martin.

2 - Jolly pirates snorkel/swim/lunch in Aruba - they snorkel over a ship wreck?

Other suggestions or MUST DO's?

We really enjoyed the beach in Aruba--there were restrooms, and a bar on a pier, and rentals--chairs, umbrellas, etc.. I'm not sure where we were, tho--got in a taxi and they took us! It was near some hotels.... But it doesn't really matter where--all the beaches are nice and offer the amenities!

THere is an awsome pirate ship in St. Martin. You can find it on the web. It's the Lord Sheffeld. You can walk to their pier from the cruise pier (about 10 minutes) and they take you out sailing on the pirate ship. After about an hour and a half sail, we put out the anchor, went swimming, went snorkeling, (they provide equpiment.) We were able to jump off of the front of the ship and it was great. THey provided all drinks and we had snacks on the way out. After we were done, we had a BBQ lunch of ribs and chicken that the captain cooks while you are snorkeling. They even let me drive the ship back part of the way. It is reasonably priced and a really great time. St. Thomas has lots of nice beaches where you can have a beach day.

If you're at all interested in sailing, you MUST do the 12 Metre Regatta in St Maarten. You'll be on an America's Cup yacht, racing another AC yacht. And the best part is you get to be part of the crew! You will be given one of several possible roles ranging from physically demanding to relaxing. It was the highlight of our cruise in June, 2005.

ooooh, that sounds like work, I really don't want to sing for my supper! With your suggestions and Jolly Rogers sold out in Aruba what about this itin:

1 - beach day in Aruba

2 - Beach day/shopping St. Thomas Orient Beach

3 - Lord Sheff. St. Martins

4 - ??? Cuoacou (sp. - gets worse every time I try to spell it:o )

Keep the suggestions coming.

Perhaps you are trying to spell Curacao?

LOTS of shopping there. You can spend an entire day if you wish. Just walk across the bridge, and shop til you drop!

Aruba has some good shopping too. When you leave the pier, just walk the short block out to the main drag. Across the street, and slightly to the right is a large bright pink shopping area. Nice and compact, some nice little stores there.

Have a great trip!

Joe

ooooh, that sounds like work, I really don't want to sing for my supper! With your suggestions and Jolly Rogers sold out in Aruba what about this itin:

1 - beach day in Aruba

2 - Beach day/shopping St. Thomas Orient Beach

3 - Lord Sheff. St. Martins

4 - ??? Cuoacou (sp. - gets worse every time I try to spell it:o )

Keep the suggestions coming.

Orient beach is in St Maarten not St Thomas - beach day in St Thomas I would highly suggest Meagens Bay or maybe a day trip to St Johns.

I was able to do Jollys in Aruba, what a fun excursion. sorry you can't get in so I am unable to tell you about the beaches but while waiting for the tour we were on the beach some. gorgeous. So I would do the pirate ship for sure in St Martin..

I would save some shopping for St Thomas as well as Curacao. Im not sure where the dolphin encounter would be on the Eastern side but if you have a choice in Curacao I would do it there.

This time around, since we're with others who are "newbies," we've opted to go with a couple of the suggested tour guides in St. Thomas and St. Martin. For about $25-30 pp they combine shopping, touring and some time at the beach. Personally, if it were just my DH and I, we'd probably go to St. John's Trunk Bay from St. Thomas.

I'd like to go to Playa Portomari, a beach in Curacao that has facilities and snorkeling. Last time we were there, we picked up a cab at the port and negotiated a tour (time and price) for our small group.

In Aruba, The Octopus is a trimirand that is a really nice snorkeling trip that can be booked independently. Jeep tours are fun, too, if you can take some rough riding.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Fury, you are letting us hanging here!!!! Where are you and what do you suggest??

We will be on some of the same islands in Sept when we do our first ever cruise on the serenade. I'm also spinning with all the suggestions. I have a complete file with just excursion ideas. We will have quite a bit of OBC so we will use the ships excursions at one or two ports. But the others we are still working on.

Keep the ideas coming.

Archived