Alcohol in your room

sharon j

we just got off the Radiance on 1/13 a few days before we got back I purchased a few small bottles of tequila (gift set) for my son (he's 21) anyway, they put it in a bag and gave it to me to take to my room. No problem. Since they allow that, I wonder why they would confiscate a few little bottles that one would bring in their carry all?

Someone else mentioned that they were allowed to take the small bottles back to their room. This is puzzling because I don't remember them even having the small bottles onboard. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has this experience. The last few times we cruised, whatever we purchased onboard OR onshore was kept until the last nt. and delivered to the cabin.

My husband and I enjoy a quiet drink in our cabin on sea days and before going to dinner. To avoid the hassle that might ensue from smuggling a bottle on board, I phone the cruise line ahead of time and order a bottle for our room (at premium prices, not duty free). I've been cheerfully allowed to do this on virtually every other cruise line.

I just phoned Royal Caribbean to order a bottle for an upcoming cruise. I was finally transferred to someone who could "explain their policy to me". In short, we can not have a bottle in our cabin for two reasons: 1) They wish to maintain a family-friendly atmosphere; and 2) They can not monitor how much we drink. Does this seem just the wee-est bit intrusive to anyone else?

I am seriously thinking of cancelling, as a matter of principle. In any case, I will not cruise on Royal Caribbean again, as long as they have this policy.

Don't listen to all these goody-goodys on this site.

Just bring your own liquor.......They are most likely not to find it. the room steward will not take it, unless he doesn't want to be tipped. The whole issue is not a big deal. It's just some people on these threads try to make you feel like a criminal.

• 1 month later...

Right on Matj2000!!! I just got off the Vision of the Seas. We smuggled much wine in our suitcases. Never got caught. We bought wine at dinner and the "drink of the day". RCI's wine policy is stupid and insulting. Unless they change to a more reasonable bringing wine onboard policy like Princess has I will not cruise with them again. Diamond member says bye bye RCI.

Can you still buy a bottle of rum from Royal Caribbean bottle shop (pay a surcharge) and bring it to your room for consumption.?

Nope... gotta wait for the last night of your cruise!

but.. if you buy the minis of alcohol and put them in your checked luggage with your toiletries, you shouldn't have a problem having your own alcohol on board!

I've seen several posts raving about plastic "Rumrunner" flasks that can be ordered online. However, I don't see where those are any less detectable than bourbon that comes in a plastic bottle, or wine in a box. Seems this would be a way to bring some on board for having a drink in your room. We're going on a 14-nighter and would like to be able to bring enough on just for one pre-dinner cocktail each day in our room. The rest of the time, we'll purchase on the ship. Otherwise, our barbill will be higher than our cruise price! And they're putting some pretty nice wines in a box now!

I've seen several posts raving about plastic "Rumrunner" flasks that can be ordered online. However, I don't see where those are any less detectable than bourbon that comes in a plastic bottle, or wine in a box. Seems this would be a way to bring some on board for having a drink in your room. We're going on a 14-nighter and would like to be able to bring enough on just for one pre-dinner cocktail each day in our room. The rest of the time, we'll purchase on the ship. Otherwise, our barbill will be higher than our cruise price! And they're putting some pretty nice wines in a box now!

Wine in a box wont be detected. and you dont have to justify why you want to have a drink in your room...theres nothing wrong with that, you are paying loads of cash already..and I had a 12 pack of Bud in my carry on , the x-ray guy looked right at it on the screen and didnt bat an eye...dont sweat it.

...as a previous poster said...dont worry about what all these goody goodies say...its mostly scare tactics by RCI they just want to maximize their profits...and your cabin steward wont touch your booze either, mine was filling up my cooler everyday !!!

Enjoy your cocktails and have a great cruise !!!!!

does anyone know if you can bring wine on board, both when initially boarding for your cruise and when at ports, and bring it on board and maybe pay a corking fee to consume it on the ship? or do you have to buy all wine on board?

also, can you order beer from room service to be delivered to your cabin?

my sister brought a bottle of cashew wine in Belize, when we boarded the ship it was confiscated and she was given a receipt to have it delivered the last day. When people talk about bringing wine on board, they are smuggling, its wrapped in bubble wrap in their suitcases, not openly in a carry on bag. When I was boarding Empress this past January, the security guy, inspected a guys half empty water bottle that he had stuffed into his backpack. Some ships are looser than others, you'll have no problem smuggling, some will catch you. And the scrutiny gets tighters during Spring Break.

I'm trying to think how to put this in the best light.

Why do so many of you out there ask about liquor, when the stated policy is the RCCL can actually deny you boarding if you are caught with liquor in your possession upon boarding.

For anyone saying that RCCL will stock your bar..........including staying the RS or RFS is just NOT TRUE! Has not been since August of 2005!!

If you are idiotic enough to try to smuggle it onboard.........be prepared to pay the consequences.

I step down from my soapbox!!

Rick

Archived