suggestions for excursions China and Japan APril 2008 HAL Statendam

gypsyjennifer

We will be traveling on HAL Statendam in april 2008 stopping in Shanghai, Xingang (Beijing port), Dalian, Pusan, Nagasaki and Kobe.

Has anyone used the train from Xingang to Beijing return and what was easy of doing this trip.

Does anyone know what the situation is when arriving at any of these ports as to what sort of taxis and vans are available to do our own excursions. Is there a mad rush at these ports to get transport. I am having problems trying to get private tours organized, so any info that you cruisers could give us would be very wonderful. On our SOuth America tour we had no problems to get excursions when we arrived and at about 25% of what the cruise company was charging.

Many thanks Jennifer

When we were on the Statendam [spring '06], there were no private taxis available at the dock. Keep in mind that Shanghai is a tremendous port and that often cruise ships have to dock an hour's drive from downtown. You might want to research Beijing Services which offers tours in both Beijing and Shanghai.

We didn't know any better and used HAL's shore excursions. The drive from the port to Beijing is 2 - 3 hours, depending on whether you are going to the city or the Badaling section of the Great Wall. If we had realized that, we probably would have stayed overnight in Beijing. HAL and private tour operators offer this as an option. In fact, we are planning on doing that in Bangkok on the Amsterdam this Fall to avoid an extra round-trip from the port to the city.

Most of the tour operators off the same "introduction to Shanghai" -- the Bund, the Jade Buddha, the Museum, the Yu Yuan Gardens. We did it with a private driver and guide as part of the HAL Signature program, but it was affordable 2 years ago. We skipped the Museum and went instead to a pearl emporium, watched women stringing pearls, and, of course, bought some things for our daughter and d-i-l. But we did all of this on our schedule, in a Buick, not on one of those !#$^#^*$* buses.

I hope this helps.

HI Jennifer

We are also travelling on the Statendam on the same cruise

I think they have a new terminal in Shanghai close in to the city anyone know about this??

We also will do our own thing in Beijing and were thinking about an overnight stay but I also have been finding it hard to get info on taxis etc at the port Xingang as the overnight tours very expensive from the boat

This is our first big cruise we did a Russian river a couple of years ago

We will be traveling on HAL Statendam in april 2008 stopping in Shanghai, Xingang (Beijing port), Dalian, Pusan, Nagasaki and Kobe.

Has anyone used the train from Xingang to Beijing return and what was easy of doing this trip.

Does anyone know what the situation is when arriving at any of these ports as to what sort of taxis and vans are available to do our own excursions. Is there a mad rush at these ports to get transport. I am having problems trying to get private tours organized, so any info that you cruisers could give us would be very wonderful. On our SOuth America tour we had no problems to get excursions when we arrived and at about 25% of what the cruise company was charging.

Many thanks Jennifer

HI Jennifer

I think they have a new terminal in Shanghai close in to the city anyone know about this??

When we docked in Shanghai this past October on Regent Seven Seas Mariner we docked right in town; the views of the skyline at night were fantastic. Short taxi or shuttle ride in for shopping and sightseeing.

For Beijing, the ship bussed everyone into Beijing for an overnight at no cost including all tours and meals so I can't help you there. I would definitely either take the ships overnight tour or go through a reputable tour company for a private tour; do not try to do this on your own via taxi. We have arranged a private guided 19 day tour of China for later this year using Explorient as others have had good experiences with them.

marc

Many thanks Jennifer

Hi Jennifer:

We got back at the end of December on a 16 day Asia cruise on Sapphire Princess. There were three of us, all adults, and we arranged a private tour at each of our ports. It worked out great and we had no problems.

You are asking about Shanghai. We went thru Asia Travels and was in contact with Polly who arranged a wonderful tour guide by the name of Jeffrey. I would highly recommend him. You can email Asia Travels or Jeffrey's email address is: jeffreyzhouping@gmail.com. We had a minivan and saw so much.

What we did at each port we told them we wanted to see everything possible in our time span. All of them did it.

Nagasaki we went thru Big Step Tours and we had a guide by the name of Tai Eno. He was good although he was 20 min. late meeting us. This was a walking tour and also we were on their bus system.

We flew into Beijing 4 days before starting the cruise and had a private tour for those 4 days by going thru www:Botrip.com manager aj_yinfan@yahoo.com.cn He arranged for us to have Tina. Of all the ports, we would have to rate her #1.

Hope this will help. If you go thru one of them please tell them you heard about them from David, Arlene & Tammy Grimm--Sacramento, CA.

Arlene

Archived