Zuiderdam New Years Cruise Review

asailingnowwego

My DW and I selected the New Year’s cruise since we had enjoyed the same cruise on the Zuiderdam a few years ago. We also brought our 11-year-old son along. We very much enjoyed our wonderful Veranda Suite and the Neptune Lounge. The concierges were very helpful in every aspect of the voyage.

The suite was lovely and had far more storage than we needed for a 7-day cruise. It was especially nice to have both a tub/shower combo plus a separate shower. Upon entering the suite, my wife mentioned that she wished that the windows and deck glass was clean so that she could enjoy the scenery. I mentioned it to our steward Rachmat and he immediately went for his cleaning solution and squeegee and had them spotless in no time.

The public rooms were almost as I remembered, but were ready for a little dry-dock attention. In the Vista lounge the glass was cracked in the two “box” viewing areas. In the dining room many of the lights in the ceiling fixtures were not working making the gold leaf look dull and lifeless.

All three of us thought that the food was mediocre at best with the exception of the Half Moon Cay BBQ and Pinnacle Grill (we went twice and daily for breakfast). The service was terrific in all aspects - our main server Budi was terrific.

We thoroughly enjoyed the shows and saw them all. The New Year’s Eve celebration was a blast! The Vista Lounge was packed with happy smiling people just having a great time. DW thought that CD Parker was the best cruise director we have ever had – lots of energy and corny jokes.

I grew weary hearing about Parker's performance experiences and found myself thinking that he really wished he were still doing that. Shipboard activities were fun and there was always something to do.

The weather was not the greatest for the last couple of days and we ended up with the last two days at sea since the wind was so fierce that we couldn't dock at Grand Turk. However, sea days are great and gave more time for spa treatments ;)

This was our 3rd cruise on HAL and we have become loyal Mariners. We love the mixture of ages that want to have a good time without being rowdy. Our son loves cruising, but finds Club HAL boring and would rather just explore and get to know the staff.

A nice bonus was a CC Meet and Greet held in the Oak room the 1st sea day at 11:00 a.m. The Hotel Director attended and spent an entire hour chatting and answering questions. Champagne and hors d'oeuvres were served.

The Mariner's Party was a brunch held at 11:00 a.m. in the lower level of the dining room on the last sea day. I was a bit disappointed that there was not any ceremony for those receiving medals, but it was nice to see so many Mariner’s (and suite guests?) at the well-attended event. Those receiving recognition had a specific table assignment – others (like us) just self-selected a table. The HAL tiles were at each seat with the “Thanks for being loyal to HAL” note. It was a nice touch that wine was served. The food was better than average.

Great review to get future cruisers excited and looking forward to taking our trip after the dry docking you refer to. Did you eat breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill on your own or as part of the suite package? What were the breakfasts like in the Neptune Lounge? Thanks

Great review to get future cruisers excited and looking forward to taking our trip after the dry docking you refer to. Did you eat breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill on your own or as part of the suite package? What were the breakfasts like in the Neptune Lounge? Thanks

I'm not the OP, but I think I can clarify a bit. Breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill is a perk available to all passengers in suites that have Neptune Lounge access. It is free, but most people tip the servers (in cash). Same menu as the dining room, but a more intimate ambience - and you get to eat in the Pinnacle without paying for it.:D

The Neptune Lounge doesn't really "serve" breakfast, or any other meal. They do, however, have a very ample spread of continental breakfast fare - pastries, cereals, fruit, etc. - and the famous coffee machine, so you can easily put together a light breakfast from what they offer. But it's not a full breakfast menu, so if you want eggs and breakfast meats, etc., you have to go elsewhere.

PS to the OP: Very nice review. Glad you and your son had a good time!

Glad you enjoy your cruise. Someday I have to try a suite.

While the suite life is nice, just cruising is enough when it comes right down to it. As a relatively new CC poster/reader it seems as if those in regular cabins have just as much fun for a lot less money!

Archived