Suggestions on Mediterranean Cruises

Just want to say "Hi" first; I am new to this board.

We have cruised four times in the Caribbean (Disney, Carnivals, RC). Thanking to go to Mediterranean this summer.

My goal is to go to the places that you are not likely to make a land trip. Therefore the ports, like Rome etc. these famous European cities, should be excluded. Because I think they deserve to be visited for a longer time, not like cruise for 10 hours. Which one will be able to visit the Pyramids in Egypt?

Can you please recommend some routes and ships, RC level would be fine. BTW, we have two teenager girls.

Thanks

Just want to say "Hi" first; I am new to this board.

We have cruised four times in the Caribbean (Disney, Carnivals, RC). Thanking to go to Mediterranean this summer.

My goal is to go to the places that you are not likely to make a land trip. Therefore the ports, like Rome etc. these famous European cities, should be excluded. Because I think they deserve to be visited for a longer time, not like cruise for 10 hours. Which one will be able to visit the Pyramids in Egypt?

Can you please recommend some routes and ships, RC level would be fine. BTW, we have two teenager girls.

Thanks

I took a look around and found this ship does go to Egypt. Holland America

Ship: Rotterdam

Ports of Call: Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Istanbul, Turkey; Varna, Bulgaria; Odessa, Ukraine; Constanta, Romania; Haifa (Nazareth/Galilee), Israel; Limassol, Cyprus; Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt; Piraeus (Athens), Greece

2008 Departure Date(s): May 2, 14; Sep 17, 29

Princess also goes to Egypt.

Another one to look at are the smaller Princess ships. They go to alot of the smaller ports. We sailed on the Royal Princess in November for 12 nights. Cruise was from Venice to Rome. It visited Ravenna It; Croatia, Montenegro, Corfu Greece, Malta, Sicily, Sorento It, Cosica, Monaco & Portofino It.

RCI "Legend of the Sea" has a nice itinerary. You could fligh into Rome and spend two or three days there before boarding the ship in Civitavecchia (Romes Port). I wish I could be more positive but with summer Airfares well above the $1200 level and the dollar plunging going to Europe these days is getting very expensive. Tim

Hi JB,

I agree that cities like Rome, Barcelona, Venice, etc. warrant more than a day in port....but my feeling is that one day there is better than none, esp. if you haven't already visited these cities, or aren't likely to return soon. They are fascinating cities and even just one day there will leave you with some pretty amazing memories.

Reading a cruise guide for the Med (e.g. Mediterranean by Cruise Ship or Cruise Guide to Europe and the Mediterranean) to see which ports interest you would probably help with your choice of itinerary.

With the cost of the cruise, airfare and excursions, a Med cruise for 4 will be quite an investment, which I feel makes it important to choose carefully.

Once you have narrowed down your selection, go to the Review section of CC http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/ and check out reviews from others who have been on that ship in the Med.

We took a 14 day Ancient Empires cruise on Celebrity Galaxy in November, but I realize that with teenagers in school, this may not be an option for you, unless you use the cruise as part of their curiculum. It certainly would be an excellant learning experience!

We sailed from Rome, where we spent three days pre-cruise and finished in Athens, where again, we spent three days. Our intinerary included Naples (Amalfi Coast Drive and a private villa unearthed as a result of Vesuvius), Santorini, where we arrived at the island, but weren't cleared for tendering, so we sailed on to Rhodes, where we spent an overnight. We stopped at Cyprus, Alexandria, (Cairo abd Giza), Egypt, Kusadasi (Ephesus) and Istanbul, Turkey.

The intinery was wonderful and the sites were amazing. Good luck with your research, and your ultimate cruise.

Mary

Archived