Accra, Mullins, Boatyard/Lobster Alive, pros and cons

Qino2

Hello,

I have taken a lot of helpful info from this board and have narrowed it down to 3 beaches when we are there for 1 day on a cruise. Please correct my info if its wrong.

1) Accra: 10-15 minutes taxi ride from pier

2) Mullins: 45 minutes taxi ride from pier

3) Boatyard/Lobster Alive: 5 minutes from pier

There are 4 people in my group, we need chair and umbrella rentals, or at least a beach with some shade. Do all of these beaches have chair and umbrellas or chairs with shade?

Do all allow you to bring a cooler with your own food and drinks?

Which one is less likely to be crowded with 3 ships in port that day? We like some activity but do not really need water sports, trampolines, etc and would prefer a more peaceful beach.

Do all have beach bars and restaurants and restrooms?

If it were your choice, which one would you go to and why?

I am especially interested in comparisons between Accra and Mullins.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Quino2

We went to Paynes Bay beach, approx fifteen minutes taxi, about six, seven dollars each, will collect you at agreed time, great beach bar & restaurant with changing facilities, The Blue Monkey, local beer is always good & cheap, we went on boxing day & one of the other main beaches was closed so it was quite busy but plenty of space, plenty of loungers & sun shades, bout ten usd, would go there again,whichever beach you choose you'll enjoy.

Have fun Rob & Brenda

• 11 months later...

We will be in Barbados in February and also have narrowed our beach choice to either Mullins or Accra. At the moment I vote for Mullins and the wife picks Accra, so if we don't get some helpful advice here this will end in a big argument:) Better snorkeling is more important to me, being closer to the ship is more her concern. We went to Payne's Bay 3 years ago and would not go back. There have been a number of negative posts on these boards regarding this beach and I would agree. It's beautiful, but it was way too crowded and aggressive vendors were constantly bothering us. Anyone out there have experience with both beaches? We're looking for a beautiful sandy beach, some waves are ok, the ability to get a few beers and a quick bite to eat that is not too expensive, and some fair snorkeling. Is the cost and time it takes to get up to Mullins worth it? Thanks anyone who can help.

We will be in Barbados in February and have narrowed our beach choice to either Mullins or Accra.

At the moment I vote for Mullins and the wife picks Accra

so if we don't get some helpful advice here, this will end in a big argument:) ===> Some husbands never learn.. :cool:

Better snorkeling is more important to me, being closer to the ship is more her concern.

We went to Payne's Bay 3 years ago and would not go back. ===> OK at least you got that right!:D

There have been a number of negative posts on these boards regarding this beach

and I would agree. ===> Thanks for backing us all up.

It's beautiful, but it was way too crowded and aggressive vendors were constantly bothering us.

Anyone out there have experience with both beaches?

We're looking for a beautiful sandy beach, some waves are ok

the ability to get a few beers and a quick bite to eat that is not too expensive

and some fair snorkeling. ===> Sounds like (the wife's) Accra to me...

Is the cost and time it takes to get up to Mullins worth it? ===> If it weren't for Accra much closer and 'brighter'

I'd say yes, but you want to stay married..

As an experienced married man you should know by now that wives are always(uncannily!) right.

Don't ask me how they do it, but I've been married twice now

and they are always right. That's why you married her!

Now...

The move is Accra.

-and yes, you'll get in some snorkelling there too,

because there's an offshore man-made barrier reef of large boulders

-about 150yds. offshore- not a long swim...

it's been there now about 15 years and so it has all sorts of fish and coralline growth on it.

Quite interesting, it has a calmer facing-inshore edge you can work your way along

and a rougher outer-edge too, for the adventurous.

Food and drink are very close by, Chefette fast food right across the street with nice Pizza and Roti(curry chicken 'wrap' of sorts)

Accra-34.jpg

How is Mullins going to beat this? Just ask your wife, OK?

Plus.. you've now got the South Coast boardwalk too.

Boardwalk-08.jpg

that runs from Accra/Rockley, Westward for about a mile..

a pleasant stroll to see a fair chunk of the coastline

(Mullins doesn't have that!)

Dude...you're doing Accra..

Rockley-037.jpg

..because you're simply not going to catch this kinda scenery at Mullins..

We will be in Barbados in February and also have narrowed our beach choice to either Mullins or Accra. At the moment I vote for Mullins and the wife picks Accra, so if we don't get some helpful advice here this will end in a big argument:) Better snorkeling is more important to me, being closer to the ship is more her concern. We went to Payne's Bay 3 years ago and would not go back. There have been a number of negative posts on these boards regarding this beach and I would agree. It's beautiful, but it was way too crowded and aggressive vendors were constantly bothering us. Anyone out there have experience with both beaches? We're looking for a beautiful sandy beach, some waves are ok, the ability to get a few beers and a quick bite to eat that is not too expensive, and some fair snorkeling. Is the cost and time it takes to get up to Mullins worth it? Thanks anyone who can help.

Hi,

I would suggest Accra Beach, it's a bigger beach than Mullins, so it shouldn't be too overcrowded. The closest to the ship would be the boat yard, crowded, but not far from a couple of shipwreck sites for snorkelling.

Good Luck

Landlocked Barney

We just returned yesterday from our cruise and we went to the Boatyard. If you are in your 20's, you would enjoy it, but for us, it was a mistake.

I didn't mind the loud music, but the constant calling of names for the lunch orders was annoying. Plus it got rowdy in the afternoon and they were inviting girls to dance on the bar. (think Fort Lauderdale on Spring Break)

The water and sand were very nice, and the kids did enjoy the water trampoline and rope swing, but personally it was not for us.

• 1 year later...

The beach bar at Mullins, whilst open to the public, is not a public facility, it is now owned by Royal Westmoreland & is for their clients primarily. It is not a cheap beach bar selling local stuff, more an extension of the hotel. The beach chairs are for hotel guests too, BUT local lads have started up a rival business alongside on what is after all a public beach. Mullins itself can be crowded as there isn't that much room, we always stayed in the area but walked past Mullins, we prefer wilder beaches. So where are we...Boatyard or Accra? with x3 ships in both are likely to busy especially the Boatyard..another thought could be Crane hotel, one of the best beaches in the world according to some, with facilities too. But from what you suggest Accra/Rockley beach may be best. Some of the beaches on the South East corner are good but rougher with few if any facilities.

• 1 month later...
As an experienced married man you should know by now that wives are always(uncannily!) right.

Don't ask me how they do it, but I've been married twice now

and they are always right. That's why you married her!

Now...

The move is Accra.

-and yes, you'll get in some snorkelling there too,

because there's an offshore man-made barrier reef of large boulders

-about 150yds. offshore- not a long swim...

it's been there now about 15 years and so it has all sorts of fish and coralline growth on it.

Quite interesting, it has a calmer facing-inshore edge you can work your way along

and a rougher outer-edge too, for the adventurous.

Food and drink are very close by, Chefette fast food right across the street with nice Pizza and Roti(curry chicken 'wrap' of sorts)

Accra-34.jpg

How is Mullins going to beat this? Just ask your wife, OK?

Plus.. you've now got the South Coast boardwalk too.

Boardwalk-08.jpg

that runs from Accra/Rockley, Westward for about a mile..

a pleasant stroll to see a fair chunk of the coastline

(Mullins doesn't have that!)

Dude...you're doing Accra..

Rockley-037.jpg

..because you're simply not going to catch this kinda scenery at Mullins..

thanks , photos are real convinving, and like idea of boardwalk walk. Is boardwalk safe? Also does Accra have any bathroom facilities?

Chair/umbrella rentals?

One thing I must say is if you go to the commercial South Coast beaches remember it ain't a desert island paradise, even though they can appear so in photos. On the land side, not featured, the whole area is basically a busy commercial area bordering probably the busiest road on the island, the footprints in the sand will be someone else's!

Archived