St Barths and Virgin Gorda - what to do

seabreezer

Contemplating a Christmas '05 cruise that stops in St Barths for 2 days and Virgin Gorda for 2 days. We may disembark on Virgin Gorda and stay at Little Dix Bay for a couple more nights. We'll have our 11 year old son with us and we're interested in activities on both islands. Any suggestions ... good beaches, restaurants, any comments on Little Dix Bay? What's fun on st Barths? I sailed a bare boat to The Baths and the Bitter End Yacht club but that's all I'm familiar with on Virgin Gorda.

Virgin Gorda is a quiet place, but the beaches are spectacular. Bring some snorkeling gear and most any beach is like snorkeling in a fish tank - just lovely. Spring Bay and Devil's Bay near the Baths seem nice for kids - also Savannah Bay. We also hiked to the top of Gorda Peak. Views were marvelous and it was less than a 30 minute hike.

One thing we didn't get to do, but wanted to was rent a dinghy at Leverick Bay and explore the deserted little islands closeby. I hear it's marvelous, but you need to reserve the dinghy's in advance, especially around the holidays. Little Dix is really nice. Oh, and driving to see the Copper Mine Ruins was worthwhile also (we rented a jeep and explored the island, which we always enjoy). We loved Virgin Gorda - Haven't made it yet to St. Barts. Sounds like a marvelous itinerary.

Oh, as to restaurants, we enjoyed Giorgio's Table the most. A little pricey, but right on the water, excellent food, and the lights of Tortola twinkling across the bay. We also ate at Biras Creek and it was good. Bitter end was a buffet and just ok. Also heard that the Fat Virgin was pretty good, especially at lunch and Saba Rock seems to be a hopping place, though we didn't make it there.

Archived