back to back cruise

jsds

We are booked on Golden Princess from Los Angeles ending in Vancouver,

we wanted to book the Golden back to Seattle on their one day cruise that night, they told us we could not, something about not reaching foreign ground? How does everyone else book back to back cruises?

Thank you :confused:

Your choice for a b2b is unusual. Normally, people book two complete cruises and not just a one dayer after a cruise. You cannot book a cruise that either starts or ends in a US port, without going to a foreign port. When people book true b2b's, it's generally longer cruises where there's a foreign port in each of the segments. Without going to a foreign port, you're in violation of the Passenger Services Act and will incur a large fine for breaking that law.

What a minute!

Vancouver is a foreign port ...............well not to me as I'm Canadian :) but isn't booking a cruise from Canada to Seattle well within the letter of the law? I'm far from an expert but I do know that certain laws state that a cruise out of the US must reach a foreign port before coming back so that's why it's not so unusual for a cruise to stop off at Mexico or Canada before heading home. I am not sure how a one-day cruise from Vancouver to Seattle would be in contravention but maybe someone can clarify!:confused:

David

Thank you for the replies, I thought Vancouver was a foreign port, but I am confused as ever. We are going to take the train back to Seattle, we thought it would be nice to stay on the ship and take it back!:(

Thank you for the replies, I thought Vancouver was a foreign port, but I am confused as ever. We are going to take the train back to Seattle, we thought it would be nice to stay on the ship and take it back!:(

The key word is "DISTANT" foreign port. Vancover does not qualify.

Dave

The Jones Act prohibits "non-American" ships from transporting passengers from one US city to another without stopping at a distant foriegn port. Since the b2b you want starts in LA and ends in Seattle, it would violate this act.

The Jones Act, which was enacted in 1920, was intended to protect American jobs. In the case of passenger cruises, it seems to have had the opposite effect.

Archived