Why does your deck matter?

shallow sea

When I look at booking a cruise through my eyes, there are 4 choices...

...Inside, Outside, Balcony, and Suite. More power to them if they can make people pay for a different deck, but on our side of the coin is there really any benefit? I know that some people prefer and are even willing to pay extra for a specific deck? Why?

disclosure- the first cruise of my adult life my cabin was on the bottom deck. I guess I just had so much fun with no complaints that it seemed silly to ever pay extra or even care which deck I was on.

I like being down lower because it seems like if you hit rough water it's not so bad down there! I also LIKE having a long way to go to get places - it's a real butt buster going all the way from camp carnival to the room and back sometimes I'll tell ya - but at least I can eat myself silly and not worry about gaining weight! Ha!

Anni

I like being higher because of the rocking of the ship. It's a soothing feeling and if it gets really rocky it can be fun. On the Triumph last year it was so bad that the bed moved and stuff was falling off of the table. I'm probably the only one that liked it, but that's ok! :rolleyes:

I like being in the middle of the ship. Deck 5,6 or 7 and midship. I have found if you on the lower levels, you can hear the engines and if your up high you can feel the ship rock. If you are sandwiched between 2 decks of staterooms its really quite.

I like being higher because of the rocking of the ship. It's a soothing feeling and if it gets really rocky it can be fun. On the Triumph last year it was so bad that the bed moved and stuff was falling off of the table. I'm probably the only one that liked it, but that's ok! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I like that too. My DH thinks I'm nuts. . .:D

If you ever get a balcony... you are hooked !!!!!!!:)

Not true, I have sailed balcony, inside, outside, forward, mid, aft, under the kitchen, above the kids, and under the pool.

Under the kitchen and under the pool I had no choices as those were the only cabins left. But the first thing I do when I'm talking to a sales rep about a cabin is finding out what is above and what is below my cabin.

I'm the same way. I love the rocking motion you get on the higher decks. It seemed like to me that there was more of a vibration type movement when I stayed on lower decks.

Terri

I have a funny story about deck snobs.

Back in 2001 I booked Voyager of the Seas.

We met a couple who also lived in VA.

We started talking about our staterooms etc.

She so proudly announced she was in a balcony room on DECK 10 port side. And I wish you could have seen it. She threw her nose in the air as she said it was almost laughable.

Little did she know I was in the same cat stateroom on deck 7 all the way aft with wrap around balcony.

She spent her cruise on a shoe box sized balcony, I was entertaining on my wrap around.

Lower deck better room. Higher deck with an attitude and nothing to show for the extra money lol.

When I look at booking a cruise through my eyes, there are 4 choices...

...Inside, Outside, Balcony, and Suite. More power to them if they can make people pay for a different deck, but on our side of the coin is there really any benefit? I know that some people prefer and are even willing to pay extra for a specific deck? Why?

disclosure- the first cruise of my adult life my cabin was on the bottom deck. I guess I just had so much fun with no complaints that it seemed silly to ever pay extra or even care which deck I was on.

Higher prices for higher decks dates back to the early days of ships. Its not in any way relevant today. If fact, today lower decks, should command more money as many believe there is less movement in rough water on the lower decks. My opinion is that it doesn't matter, but I don't get seasick.

In the old days, ships did not have air conditioning. The lower down you went the more and more uncomfortable it became. The last few passenger decks did not even have portholes so there was no ventilation. Also ships then were built with the nicest cabins topside and as you went lower down the cabins became smaller and smaller until they became dormitory style with community toilets. The price difference was enormous, as low as $30. for steerage and as high as $5 to $10,000. for a top suite.

Today, they charge more for higher decks because some think there is some status to being higher up. But IS, OV, or balcony all get the same service and amenities.

Dan

I don't really care which deck I'm on. I care more about what's above and below me.

I've sailed on Riveria up to Panorama and OV to Cat 12 (thanks upgrade fairy!!!).

I've booked IS and was upgraded so never stayed in one of those. But I'm not too good to do that either!

Personally, I like being up higher whether it was an IS or Cat 12. I like the movement, too!

There's advantages and disadvantages to placement of the cabins, depending on your prefernce, but the service is the same.

Just put me on a ship and I'm a happy girl!!!

Bottom/aft cabins on some ships, have horrible noise and vibration from the thrusters, when stopping.

I, too, love the motion of the ocean! :p

I've been in every type of cabin and none of them are "habit forming!" Like someone else said.....being on the ship and on a cruise is the best part. That being said......If I'm in an inside cabin, it can be very weird because your concept of what's going on is very deceiving!

I know of people who have slept through lunch, in their inside cabins and other's who get very disoriented if they don't have ambient light!

We started our first cruise in a room so small it was shaped in a triangle, with two small portholes, looking out, onboard the Sun Viking, in 1985. We couldn't stand and walk at the same time! I thought all the cabins were like this and I had an amazing time!

My recommendation: Try them all.....

Bottom/aft cabins on some ships, have horrible noise and vibration from the thrusters, when stopping.

I, too, love the motion of the ocean! :p

I've been in every type of cabin and none of them are "habit forming!" Like someone else said.....being on the ship and on a cruise is the best part. That being said......If I'm in an inside cabin, it can be very weird because your concept of what's going on is very deceiving!

I know of people who have slept through lunch, in their inside cabins and other's who get very disoriented if they don't have ambient light!

We started our first cruise in a room so small it was shaped in a triangle, with two small portholes, looking out, onboard the Sun Viking, in 1985. We couldn't stand and walk at the same time! I thought all the cabins were like this and I had an amazing time!

My recommendation: Try them all.....

I find it hard to keep track of time with an inside cabin. The first time I had one, I over slept. I know have a backlighted alarm clock that I carry with me. I set the time for a 7 am alarm. Another trick I learned in using the ships tv station as my window. I turn the volume down at night and leave it on. Since it's a black screen there is no light to bother me. When the sun comes up, I have sun light in my room.

If you ever get a balcony... you are hooked !!!!!!!:)

I have to disagree. I'm probably in the rarity here, but I didn't see the big deal of a balcony. We hardly used it, because who wants to spend time in your room all day when there's food to eat and water to lay by and things to do? I'll keep my little inside cabin and save almost half the cost of the cruise thank you very much!

I find it hard to keep track of time with an inside cabin. The first time I had one, I over slept. I know have a backlighted alarm clock that I carry with me. I set the time for a 7 am alarm. Another trick I learned in using the ships tv station as my window. I turn the volume down at night and leave it on. Since it's a black screen there is no light to bother me. When the sun comes up, I have sun light in my room.

That is actually a great idea!

And you will always have view from the front!

Thanks for the tip.

That is actually a great idea!

And you will always have view from the front!

Thanks for the tip.

Your welcome. I sailed in my first inside cabin last Sept. It was something I swore I would never do, but the cruise was something I really wanted to do and it was my only option. Having the tv on really helped me.

Loved my first-ever balcony on the Miracle last month.

Was convinced I needed to sail on Legend next December and was going to book a balcony guarantee (because ginger/bonine combo also seems to have cured my motion sickness, so I'm not so concerned about location now).

But I discovered I can sail on Victory out of San Juan and have ALL PORTS for hundreds of dollars less by booking an inside.

Even with the additional airfare to SJU, I'll come out enough ahead that I may be able to take a short cruise in the fall.

THAT is what is important to me. I'm not a snob about anything. If an inside on the Riviera deck means I can sail again sooner or that I can sail more often, I'm fine with that!

And as has been noted, the exercise climbing those stairs is great for the butt and burns the calories I consume during the week.

If I'm ever in the situation that money is no object, I bet I'll be sailing one of the smaller, luxury lines, not bragging about my 40 sq ft balcony cabin on Carnival!

But until I get there, I'll save money on the cruise any way I can. If I don't put that money into another cruise immediately, I'll add to my 401(k) contribution and maybe I'll actually be able to cruise when I retire!

Archived