food and wine pairing seminar?

nicole9s

I saw on some dailies recently for Century that they offer a food and wine pairing seminar on certain days of the itinerary? Do these fill up quickly? I seem to remember that the registration was only open about an hour earlier than when it starts?

Is there any advantage being in a suite to be able to register in advance, if necessary?

It sounds like an interesting thing to do, has anyone ever done one?

We did a wine pairing on the Summit on our Alaska cruise last September. Our waiter gave us forms to sign up a few days before and then reminded us each night to be sure to come. It was nice - we got 4 different wines and then a small plate with several different foods - a bit of chicken, some fruit, chocolate, etc. to taste with the different wines. It was enjoyable - I think the charge was $10.

My husband and I, along with 6 other family members, did the Wine Pairing during our Alaskan cruise in June 2007. All of us enjoyed it and left with new knowledge (granted, none of us are wine "experts")...but, enjoyable and informative. And, if I remember correctly we booked it about 48 hrs in advance for the last full day of our cruise. Wishing you as memorable a cruise as ours!

There will be information in the daily stating where and when to sign up. However we have always been asked by the sommalier during the first or second night if we want to participate. We have a # of times. Its interesting and informative. I don't always agree with some of the pairings, but they do tell you everyone has their own pallet.

I'd do it once to try, again if I liked it the first time and there was not a whole lot to do on the ship that day that interested me.

Dave:eek:

We did this on the Galaxy...huge crowd, used 1/2 the lower dining room area. very interesting, and the servers refilled glasses, if empty, if asked. the pour was about 2-3 oz of 4 wines. so, 8 oz wine and a fun 'lecture' for $10 each.... not bad. Don't expect lunch...just tiny tidbits of food to taste compare with. (at a nearby table, the folks clearly had done this before, as they sat down, drank all the wines before the program started, got refilled and then asked for more after..I'm sure they had a bottle each. Rough sailing that afternoon...bet they got sea-sick:rolleyes:)

I do it again if nothing else was going on. We prepaid with the wine steward ....hi Adi.

Archived