Where/How To Cruise with Kids?

KidsInTow

I'm brand new to this forum, and we're brand new to the idea of cruising! You all seem so incredibly knowledgeable, I have no doubt that you'll be able to help us have a great time!

We're thinking of taking a cruise in 2009 (my husband is military, so we can't do anything too soon). At that time, we will have a 1 year old and 4 year old. So, I have some questions if you don't mind sharing your knowledge!

1) Where is the best place to go with kids? We like the idea of the W. Caribbean, but we're not totally sure what's best with children. We live in Baton Rouge, La and we'd like to be able to drive to our departure location if possible (so cruises leaving from FL or other southern locations would be fine).

2) What is the best time of year to go to the place you suggested above?

3) What ship/line? We would really like one with some type of Kid's Club for our older daughter. We'd also like one with a spa and some good restaurants. I think we'll probably want two conjoining rooms... is that possible?

4) What is the best way to plan your cruise? When should we start?

Once again, thank you so much in advance for any advice/insight that you may be able to offer!

1) Eastern Carib is actually more younger kid friendly. In the Western Carib, there are alot of things for tweens/teens to do...but the younger ones are kind of left out.

--Eastern Carib - dolphin encounters that actually allow infants, family friendly beaches with facilities and StThomas has Coral World

--Western Carib - climbing the falls, treetop canopy tours, ATV tours, river rafting in the jungle, swiming with stingrays are all for the tween to teen

2)Best time to go - since you don't have school to worry about (nothing more than pre-school)...go when the rest of the kids are in school and get a better price. You can go the last week of August/First week of Sept and get some steep discounts.

Another great discount time is the week after Thankgsiving.

3) Cruislines like CCL/Disney and Carnival are very family friendly. I know Carnival offers STEEP military discounts on certain sailings.

4) Where to begin, you might want to start with a TA if you aren't sure. Cruise prices range greatly. So it all depends on your budget. You can easily get a fam of 4 cruise for under $2,000. Just give them the type of budget you want to work with.

Cojoining cabins? For children that young try to go for a balcony cabin. Then when the kids go to bed early, you can head outside for a little adult quiet time. Kids that age don't need their own cabin.

Archived