food allergies???

zippnby

We are booked on the Glory in August and I just found out that I have developed some serious food allergies (Wheat, Corn, eggs & Soybean). I am worried about eating on the ship. Has anyone with food allergies cruised before and how did you handle the food situation????

Thanks in Advance!

You'll have no problems. Call Carnival's Special Needs Department using the toll-free number on the Carnival website...tell them what you're telling us. You might want to remind your waiter when you embark

We are booked on the Glory in August and I just found out that I have developed some serious food allergies (Wheat, Corn, eggs & Soybean). I am worried about eating on the ship. Has anyone with food allergies cruised before and how did you handle the food situation????

Thanks in Advance!

You just found out? HMMmmm..

My husband was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease, can't have anything with wheat, barley, or malt. We were on the Liberty last August and the Carnival staff was wonderful. We did fill out a form and faxed it before the cruise. We went to our dining room as soon as we got on the ship and we were told to talk with the hostess when we came to dinner. The first night at dinner, the hostess sat down with us after dinner to plan the next nights dinner. Carnival even had gluten free bread and made sure my husbands food was cooked right. We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffets and my husband had no problems. I was worried that he would not be able to eat well, but he actually gained weight from this cruise. He was very satisfied and the Carnival staff was very attentive to his needs. We were very pleased!

I have asthma. Over the past year or so it has become worse to the point it has almost landed me in the hospital 2 in the past 3 months. So now they are saying that my food allergies are the cause. no no wheat , eggs , soybean or corn for me.

Wow- I never have called the Special Needs Department... I am allergic to nuts, fish/ shellfish, and can have limited dairy.

In the past, I have just let my waiter know in the main dining room and the first night and ALWAYS ask questions- even in the buffet lines- don't be afraid to hunt a crewmember down and ask what is in something- they will find out for you! Also, if you want soymilk, it is not on the bar, but ask and you shall recieve! Never have had an issue, but I will call that department and see what happens differently....

Sorry, but it is highly unlikely, and it does not happen all the time..

One can develop allergies at any time. Many times the allergies have been present for much longer than the suffer knows, but the severity/level of sensitivity of the allergies can worsen over time. Often in cases like this, the earlier reactions are minor, or are secondary type reaction that are classed as other ailments (eczema, IBS, general headaches & migraines). The medical community is now learning that allergies are the cause of many of these issues and are more frequently turning to allergy testing to determine the cause of these skin, stomach and headache problems. You'll be hearing a lot more about allergies in the years to come.

To the original poster. Both my son & I have food related allergies (peanuts, nuts, eggs & some fruits). I told our TA about it when we booked, and he noted it on our reservations. A couple of weeks ago CCL contacted me to get more information about our allergies, and seem to have taken the issue quite seriously (which I appreciate). When we get onboard we are to visit with the maitre de and infirmary to refresh them. We will be given assistance in the dining room to ensure that we can make safe selections from the menu, and our meals will be specially handled. In addition, the steward will be told not to put any food in our minibar, and not to put chocolates/cookies out in the evening.

I have yet to see the plan in action, but the approach that Carnival has taken has been great and put my mind at ease. I hope you're able to have a safe and enjoyable cruise while you learn about coping with your allergies.

My 8yo is allergic to tree nuts and coconut and is lactose intolerant and we just told the maitre'd and our server. They brought the menu to us every night for the next night's meal and helped us make appropriate choices. Where they didn't have something they would make or get something for him. One night he wanted to try creme brule and it was a macadamia nut one - they made him a plain one.

KroozNut;

Yes, it is highly likely, and does happen all the time. And, that is the fortunate part, when they finally find out what people are allergic to. We just had this happen in our family and found out a lot of information we weren't aware of. Our daughter, age 40, was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Takes quite of bit of research and time to find out where are these gluten items are in, amazing, even in ketchup!! She, along with her Dr., have done a great job in their research and she has made quite a turnaroun.

Op-It sounds as this may be the same problem for you. But, whatever it is, you still have plenty of time to do research, educate yourself, and things will be okay. As others have stated Carnival will be right there helping plan things for you. Have a great time. Welcome to CC

KroozNut;

Yes, it is highly likely, and does happen all the time. And, that is the fortunate part, when they finally find out what people are allergic to. We just had this happen in our family and found out a lot of information we weren't aware of. Our daughter, age 40, was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Takes quite of bit of research and time to find out where are these gluten items are in, amazing, even in ketchup!! She, along with her Dr., have done a great job in their research and she has made quite a turnaroun.

Op-It sounds as this may be the same problem for you. But, whatever it is, you still have plenty of time to do research, educate yourself, and things will be okay. As others have stated Carnival will be right there helping plan things for you. Have a great time. Welcome to CC

Okay, I guess we can agree to disagree; and I will now bow out of this one.. ; )

Okay, I guess we can agree to disagree; and I will now bow out of this one.. ; )

Good idea...:rolleyes:

I'll agree with Harvard and every other medical institute that says allergies, especially shellfish allergies, can develop any time in a person's life.

And, as a person who has treated many new allergy emergencies, I'll say it happens all the time.

Good idea...:rolleyes:

I'll agree with Harvard and every other medical institute that says allergies, especially shellfish allergies, can develop any time in a person's life.

And, as a person who has treated many new allergy emergencies, I'll say it happens all the time.

I agree with you. I have allergies come and go all the time. I develop new allergies and some leave. There is a worse allergy than to shellfish, Frank from Boston.;) How about chocolate ? :eek:

I agree with you. I have allergies come and go all the time. I develop new allergies and some leave. There is a worse allergy than to shellfish, Frank from Boston.;) How about chocolate ? :eek:

Chocolate????!!!! Oyyy, that would be a deal-breaker for me. Although I have to be really careful of how much chocoate because of the caffine, which does cause problems for me.

Chocolate????!!!! Oyyy, that would be a deal-breaker for me. Although I have to be really careful of how much chocoate because of the caffine, which does cause problems for me.

I wouldn't be able to survive if I was allergic to chocolate! I am such a chocoholic. I am allergic to nuts, not severly, so if the food was in contact with nuts, nothing will happen, but if there's nuts in my food, my face gets all swollen, and depending on the nut/amount of nuts, my throat can close up. But it would take a lot of nuts for that to happen, and I would have to ignore my really itchy tongue and lips. I do have to avoid caffeine as that brings on really bad migraines, but I don't know if I would call that an allergy, per se.

They're generally really accomodating for food issues. My grandma is a diabetic, and she has to eat right after she injects insulin, so when she cruised, she told the waiter, and he always had a cheese plate and some other munchies at the table before they got there, so she could eat something right away. They also helped pick out appropriate choices, with the least amount of sugar.

I'll have to agree with everyone else and say that food allergies can develop at any point in life, although sometimes they are always there, but just strengthen in severity. My son has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts and tree nuts, and we have been dealing with this for about 10 years now. This is our first Carnival cruise, although we were booked on one that we cancelled last summer. I had done all the paperwork with the special needs dept. and was told to go to the dining room right away to speak to the head waiter. I was also told the infirmary carried epinephrine and was prepared to deal with allergic emergencies.

For the poster who said they were just a little allergic to nuts, beware. This thing can get worse and escalate to an allergic emergency at any point in your life. As with all anaphylactic food allergies, sometimes you may just have a little episode but the "Big one" is always lurking around the corner. I hope you carry epinephrine with you.

It's very common for both food and medicine.

I had been on Penicillin many times for sinus infections ect. All of a sudden I had a major rection to it and ended up in the hospital.

I had a friend that at wheat for anout 40 years and in the course of 3 months found he was all of a sudden allergic to it.

I'm allergic to tree nuts. I did call Carnival and let them know ahead of time. They were good to me about it. My waiter always made sure my food was free of nuts. If a dessert had nuts, he would start with those and look right at me and say " You can't have the following...".

Carnival will also work with you if you have an allergy, such as shellfish, which is airborne. They have assisted us with accelerating our dinner service so we can be done before the shellfish (really is the worst on lobster night) comes out in force in the dining room. The always send dessert to the cabin for us so we don't feel left out.

Truly wonderful personnel!

I am severley allergic to peanuts/peanut butter/peanut oil... I think you get the point... lol...and I stay away from all tree nuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts.... blah blah blah.

I go into to anaphylictic (spelling) shock. I alway carry and epi pin and benadryll. I have been dealing with this for 30 years, ever since I was two. Haha when I was younger they said I might grow out of it.. No such luck.....

I have been on two cruises. Both Carnival and have not had a problem yet. I did not call the special needs, I just take care to ask the staff members about the food. And if it looks suspicious I don't eat it. If I am not sure then I don't eat it. I don't mind asking.

You know what I didn't have any problems on ship but I have a lot of trouble with Chinese food places to the point where I don't eat at them anymore. Has anyone else with peanut allergies had this problem.

Anyway I say just be viligiant about what you eat and ask ask ask....

I am severley allergic to peanuts/peanut butter/peanut oil... I think you get the point... lol...and I stay away from all tree nuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts.... blah blah blah.

I go into to anaphylictic (spelling) shock. I alway carry and epi pin and benadryll. I have been dealing with this for 30 years, ever since I was two. Haha when I was younger they said I might grow out of it.. No such luck.....

I have been on two cruises. Both Carnival and have not had a problem yet. I did not call the special needs, I just take care to ask the staff members about the food. And if it looks suspicious I don't eat it. If I am not sure then I don't eat it. I don't mind asking.

You know what I didn't have any problems on ship but I have a lot of trouble with Chinese food places to the point where I don't eat at them anymore. Has anyone else with peanut allergies had this problem.

Anyway I say just be viligiant about what you eat and ask ask ask....

Chinese food isn't so much of an issue for us as Thai & Philippino foods. I just stay clear when with my son, the peanut allergy is his.

Archived