Bermuda questions

terri1020

We'll be going to Bermuda on the June 8 NCL Dawn cruise. My 23, 21 & 18 year olds want to rent scooters. Does anyone know of; 1. Age requirements, 2. Best prices for rentals?

Also, we will be traveling with db and wife. It is my sister-in-laws "special" birthday. We were thinking of giving her a swim with the dolphins as a "special" birthday gift. Advice on this would also be appreciated. Price, book through NCL?, fun factor?

Any help, advice or information would be appreciated.

Terri

A Quick Answer. DON'T DO IT. We have been visiting Bermuda for several years both on land and cruise vacations . The frquency of accident from mior to FATAL have increased with each visit. The traffic and road conditions are a recipe for disaster.

A Quick Answer. DON'T DO IT. We have been visiting Bermuda for several years both on land and cruise vacations . The frquency of accident from mior to FATAL have increased with each visit. The traffic and road conditions are a recipe for disaster.

Add to that the fact that you have to drive on what we consider the wrong side of the road. The round abouts can be very confusing for those who are not used to them as well.

That being said, there are plenty of people who will say it's perfectly safe but there are some real horror stories as well so it's up to you to decide what risk you want to take.

We've rented them the three times we were in Bermuda and had no issues. On our last cruise my 22 year old son and his girl friend had one as well. Yes we've heard about the issues and we did worry about my son and gf but love the freedom to go when and where we wanted and the fun of the mopeds.

Heres where we got ours as they have offices within walking distance of all three ports! Good luck and be careful!!

http://www.oleandercycles.bm/

I appreciate the link to the moped rental place (prices good to 2006?). The faq answered many of my questions and concerns. Since the mopeds can only go up to 22mph, and helmets are required (as they are here in NJ), I do feel a bit better. This will be our second trip to Bermuda and the 18-23 year olds are pretty set on getting mopeds to be able to explore on their own. Since they will all be together and are quite responsible young adults, I think my dh and I will give them our blessing.

I also appreciate the input on how dangerous they can be. We will be sure to remind them (frequently) the opposite side of the road driving requirements as well as the round about concerns.

Keep the information coming, good or bad. It's so much better to be informed than not! And I DO appreciate ALL of the info!

Terri

The official speed limit is 35K or 22mph but truthfully, virtually nobody does that. Unofficially most people go about 50K and many much higher. Tailgating is also the norm here. To be honest, if I was a visitor, I wouldn't take the chance and ride a cycle. However, lots of people do. With many accidents, it's not the person driving safely that gets hurt, it's the idiot in/on the other vehicle who thinks he/she is invincible! Having been at the scene of a cycle fatality about 5 years ago, it's hard not to worry about people on bikes. Especially visitors. it's something I will never forget.

The official speed limit is 35K or 22mph but truthfully, virtually nobody does that. Unofficially most people go about 50K and many much higher. Tailgating is also the norm here. To be honest, if I was a visitor, I wouldn't take the chance and ride a cycle. However, lots of people do. With many accidents, it's not the person driving safely that gets hurt, it's the idiot in/on the other vehicle who thinks he/she is invincible! Having been at the scene of a cycle fatality about 5 years ago, it's hard not to worry about people on bikes. Especially visitors. it's something I will never forget.

BermudaMom,

Good input. I guess people don't think it could happen to them.

• 3 weeks later...
The official speed limit is 35K or 22mph but truthfully, virtually nobody does that. Unofficially most people go about 50K and many much higher.

Well, I disagree about the "many". More like very few. Most people stick to 48-50 kph which is usually quite comfortable on the winding roads. Going slower on scooters may cause the rider/driver to wobble more.

The police here start booking riders for speeding if they go 51kph or higher. This is why we stick to just under 50 kph.

Just a few idiots go way over 50 kph. They are often young and like to brag about being caught. Wiser people would not want to be caught because it means heavy fines and, if it's your 2nd or subsequent offence, a road ban for at least a year.

On this board I've seen nothing but praise for our public transportation system. I have never heard of anyone dying in a bus or ferry crash here, but I have heard of locals and visitors alike dying in road traffic collisions which saddens all of us. My advice is leave the two wheeled vehicles to those of us born and raised on Bermuda roads, on Bermuda road rules - written and unwritten.

Terri, I agree with the other posts. If you can discourage the kids from renting cycles, you should. It has the potential to ruin your vacation.

Regarding your SIL, I would recommend Dolphin Quest for her present. It's right in Dockyard where you'll be anchored, and every guest I've had do it has loved it. I would book it with NCL. It may be a little more expensive but spaces are very limited and you would probably be shut out if you waited til you got here.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived