Warning for smokers... MSC not for you

clivep

I have just sent the following message to CC feedback. MSC is still trying to misinform smokers only to infuriate them once onboard.

Please could you correct an error in your smoking policies section.

You are still showing MSC as allowing smoking in cabins. This had been banned before our cruise with them last May!!! Smoking was also strictly forbidden on the balconies. This was not mentioned in their terms and conditions and it was not until we boarded that we discovered the horrific truth in the daily newsletter!

We would not have gone with MSC had we known that smoking was not allowed. We had checked with our travel agent beforehand but they had also been misled by MSC. Even today MSC on their website fail to mention their true policy saying only "Smoking is only allowed in designated smoking areas and on deck. Smoking is not permitted in the restaurants".

I believe most lines now prohibit smoking on the balconies. And many are now banning smoking in the cabins. this is the result of the Princess ship that caught on fire a couple of years ago because someone was smoking on the balcony and flipped their butt off the balcony and it came back in a deck or so down and started the fire.

Most lines now only allow smoking in designated bars and on half of the exposed (Lido) deck. Although the latter is like allowing people to only pee in half of the pool.

When we were on the Lirica in Dec 2006 you could smoke in the cabin but not on balconies.

Now I'm a smoker but never smoked in the cabin, way to small for it. The only problem I had was in the evening not having ash trays and a place to sit up on the pool deck. But I did manage and will do so again next April when we are on the Lirica again.

:eek: :eek:

I have just sent the following message to CC feedback. MSC is still trying to misinform smokers only to infuriate them once onboard.

We would not have gone with MSC had we known that smoking was not allowed. We had checked with our travel agent beforehand but they had also been misled by MSC. Even today MSC on their website fail to mention their true policy saying only "Smoking is only allowed in designated smoking areas and on deck. Smoking is not permitted in the restaurants".

ALERT TO CLIVEP.....

the final two sentences in quotes above are very plain to me as to their intent. THEY MEANS NO SMOKING IN THE CABINS OR ON THE BALCONY.

Maybe it was your travel agent who mis-led YOU.

I am an ex-smoker with lung problems, even with that I do not mind smokers as long as they don't blow it in my face. BUT rules are rules and they are very plain....:)

ALERT TO CLIVEP.....

the final two sentences in quotes above are very plain to me as to their intent. THEY MEANS NO SMOKING IN THE CABINS OR ON THE BALCONY.

Maybe it was your travel agent who mis-led YOU.

I am an ex-smoker with lung problems, even with that I do not mind smokers as long as they don't blow it in my face. BUT rules are rules and they are very plain....:)

I don't quite understand you on this one. The MSC policy quoted does not say if cabins or balconies are included or excluded from the designated areas that smoking is allowed in. The restaurant is obviously going to be excluded but they still see fit to spell that out so why not say "Smoking in the restaurant, cabins and on balconies is strictly prohibited". It is certainly ambiguous enough to confuse the Cruise Critic smoking policy advisor into incorrectly showing MSC as allowing smoking in cabins. Even today the "At Your Service: Cruise Line Smoking Policies" states:

MSC Cruises

Where You Can Smoke: Smoking is allowed in cabins, on open decks and in designated areas of public rooms.

Where You Can't: Smoking is prohibited in the dining rooms and theaters.

MSC makes it crystal clear the true policy in the daily program once you are on board where it states "For safety reasons it is forbidden to smoke in the passenger cabins and balconies". So why not state this on their website and make travel agents aware of this?

I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been one. The purpose of my post was purely to advise those smokers who do still want to smoke in their cabins what the accurate MSC policy was.

Archived