Southampton - Typical sailing time?

tom_uk

The P&O brochure gives the sailing time for all Southampton cruises as 'Late afternoon'. Can anyone tell me what actual time the ships sail, typically?

The reason I ask is that I have just discovered that I can get to Southampton from Sheffield direct by train, quicker than driving; and thanks to the madness that is the UK railway system, I can buy two single tickets for a total fare of £30 instead of £80 + for a return. As a fully paid-up cruise ship nerd I am thinking of doing this some weekend this year to get some pictures of the ships leaving. However the most sensible train home leaves Southampton Central at 18:15, and if sailaway isn't typically until 6 pm then I'd be stuffed.

So what time do the ships cast-off at Southampton?

Tom,

A suggestion for you. As your Oriana and Venturer cruises are both from Soton then you could extend your holidays at both ends.

Arrive at Soton the day before the cruise and grab some pics as your ship returns to port and then remain in Pompey the day you return and grab some pics as it departs.

You could then swap the pics to the other end of your cruise portfolio and confound your friends with a shore-based sailaway and a shore-based arrival. Of course ideally you would need photgraphs of a Bond helicopter at Southampton and the same helicopter hovering over the ship. That might be a trick too far :).

I take it there is no Mrs Tom :)

I see on your blog you mention Queen Victoria and QE2 leaving for their world cruises. As another ship addict, I did as you are thinking of doing and travelled down for the day with a friend just to watch them leave, with the attendant fireworks. Boudicca and Oriana also left that day, although Oriana was delayed until 9pm as she arrived late that morning due to adverse weather. If you do go, it is worth taking the Hythe ferry, since its route takes it close by the QE2 Terminal and any ships that may be berthed there.

Some of my photos are at

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/QE2AndQueenVictoriaSailaway6thJan2008

As said above 5pm is the usual time; but they don't always leave on time

if you don't know it, this is the link to the Southampton cruise ship schedule - from memory it usually gives departure times (its empty at the moment as there are no cruise ships due - the message says the full list should be added soon)

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

if you come some time in April the 2 new ships should trigger lots of fireworks!

I take it there is no Mrs Tom

There certainly is a Mrs Tom! But her interest in the ship per se extends to the following points:-

It must have the following: Nice restaurant

Bar with friendly people

Good service

It must not be: too scruffy

too big (even though we're going on Ventura....)

The toilets must work!!!

So she's quite happy to tolerate my nerdy enthusiasms, but would have no real interest in doing this sort of thing herself. Which suits both of us just fine.

Tom,

A suggestion for you. As your Oriana and Venturer cruises are both from Soton then you could extend your holidays at both ends.

Arrive at Soton the day before the cruise and grab some pics as your ship returns to port and then remain in Pompey the day you return and grab some pics as it departs.

You could then swap the pics to the other end of your cruise portfolio and confound your friends with a shore-based sailaway and a shore-based arrival. Of course ideally you would need photgraphs of a Bond helicopter at Southampton and the same helicopter hovering over the ship. That might be a trick too far :).

I take it there is no Mrs Tom :)

Hi Pontius navigator

Absoloutely nothing to do with departure times, but were you on the inaugural panama canal transit in 2005 as we were also there. let us know.

Stitch

Hi, the link to the list of Ships into Southampton is now full of the ships up until early 2009!

Every time we have sailed from Southampton, seen other off & gone to watch them sail its usually 5pm.

Have a great holiday,

E201 :)

Hi, the link KARENR UK gave has now been updated till early 2009!

Everytime we have sailed, seen friends/family off & to just see them sail away its usually 5pm.

Have a great cruise, E201 :)

Archived