Cruisin' with teenagers

We'll have 3 teens and my parents with us in Nov. 08 on the Mariner of the Seas. My question is in regards to on ship payment. I'm sure my girlfriend and I will use the same account with our onboard pass and my parents will use their own account. Is there a way I can give my children the freedom of using their passes on the same account as I but still limit the amount they can spend - either by day or in total?

We'll have 3 teens and my parents with us in Nov. 08 on the Mariner of the Seas. My question is in regards to on ship payment. I'm sure my girlfriend and I will use the same account with our onboard pass and my parents will use their own account. Is there a way I can give my children the freedom of using their passes on the same account as I but still limit the amount they can spend - either by day or in total?

Unless something has changed since I researched this, you can not limit the amount the kids can spend in any way except telling them there is a limit and keeping track of what they are spending.

Most of the cruise lines are the same. My teens were told on their last cruise that anything over x dollars that showed up on theri Sea Pass cards would come out of their bank accounts. They were really good about keeping track of what they were spending.

The ship gives you a nice itemized statement by seapass card, so there is no doubt which charges were by which person. I also believe some of the newer RCCL ships have a system where you can check your account via the TVs in the rooms. If not, you can call the front desk and get a daily report.

When we were on the Mariner, we gave each of our kids $100 limit for the week.

Just go to the purser's desk after boarding and they will set it up for you. My kids aren't really into the arcade so they mostly spent their money at Johnny Rockets and on fruity virgin drinks. They did not even spend the whole thing. :D

We told our daughter that anytime she made a purchase she had to get a receipt when they gave them. She was able to budget her own purchases and and knew how much she was spending.

We did check the account daily to make sure she wasn't taken advantage of.

We put a limit on both our teens last April, no problem at all. The only thing the purser explained was that if the limit is say $100 and they've spent $90 of it, their next purchase could put them over, but then stop them after that. Such as a $15 purchase would put them at $105 for a total, but then they couldn't charge anymore.

The problem here is they could make a $75 purchase and go way over. But my kids knew the card was for incidentals, anything large needed our ok.

Archived