HELP! Leave in 2 Days on Mariner: Personal Laptop or Internet Center

One of our pooches is quite sick and I need to be able to be in contact with our veterinarian while on board MARINER OF THE SEAS... how difficult is it to get to the PC's in the internet center and do they have "set fees"???

alternatively, how difficult is it to get the kit they have to use your personal laptop? Do you need to bring your own USB cables?

I don't wnat to lug mine with all the luggage on the bus if it's not too difficult to get access in the internet center to check once a day for 5 mins or so..

thanks in advance...

Caroline

Computers in the internet center are readilly available. It is 50 cents a minute. However not all mail systems work well with their computers, but Yahoo and Hotmail do. Set up a free account with them if you don't already.

The laptop setup is $100.00 for the week. You go to the pursers desk and get a special phone (go early, they only have so many and they go quick). Basically you use this phone to get a dial up connection. They provide cables.

Connections are slow using either system. When connecting on my laptop it would be in the 40-42k range, but it seemed much slower than that.

Host Caroline, I agree with all that was said in the post above mine. Personally, I like having the cybercabin because I can check at any time without having to get dressed and go out in a public area -- middle of the night, early in the morning....

If you do take your laptop, be sure to go to the purser's desk as soon as you board the ship to get the kit you'll need. It has a phone and all the cables, and no, you don't need a USB cable. Instructions are provided. I was able to use my own AOL account using cybercabin.

If you have a roommate, perhaps you could split the cost for the week and it might end up being less expensive for you than the Internet Cafe. It was for me, but I was also working when I was on the Mariner in Jan.

Host Caroline - Sorry to hear about your dog. We are also leaving a sick dog. He was not suppose to be here now, but he just keeps on ticking.

Thank you for asking about cyber net. We have used the ships internet room on all our cruises and have had no problems. I have thought about getting the in-room service, but honestly can't justify the cost. I also have the C&A coupons worth 10 free minutes each of internet use. I think we will just use those to keep up with the news of our children and pets. Hope we don't get any bad news.:(

we were on the Mariner of few weeks ago, and think the $100. for in cabin internet is well worth it. Loved just being able to e-mail family and friends and not have to worry about the time it takes to connect. Depending where you are, it is some times very slow. My husband is now spoiled and only wants to go on ships with in cabin service, maybe some of the other cruise lines will "wake up" to this service.

I have set up a "Yahoo" account and sent some test emails to ensure it works and may take my laptop with me. Haven't decided yet. I appreciate all the replies:) We are now supposed to embark in Canaveral but that could change with T/S Jean.. so I should be one of the early boarders and will head straight for purser's desk if I take laptop..

Thank you again!!! And good wishes for the other sick "Carolina" pooch

Host Caroline- I am so sorry about your dog.

HELP! Please don't think of me as a complete idiot but I am not sure if my laptop has a modem. I have a Dell Inspiron and have nothing that attaches on the exterior of the computer. I have to take ours so I can download pics from the digital camera and it would be great to have internet as well.

I am departing from the wisdom of the preceeding posts to give an alternate view. To get your money's worth using the cybercabin versus the internet cafe you must utilize the web for 200 minutes or more.That's over 3 hours and 20 minutes of internet usage. That's roughly 1/2 an hour per day on a 7 day cruise. Despite the convenience of having access to the web in your cabin , 30 minutes per day is more than enough to check and respond to email considering that you've set up an email account for a very specific purpose. Plus you have the added benefit of not having to lug around a laptop and cables. Just my dos centabos.

Good luck, best wishes.

-Azipod

Archived