Need Recommendations for transport from pier-downtown hotel-airport

We are staying in Vancouver one night (June 20) after our RCI cruise. I am still looking at activities to do there such as Stanley Park/Capilano Suspension Bridge/Grouse Mountain but just started my search.

This will be the last day of an wonderful but expensive trip (7 day land tour/7 day cruise) so am looking for a nice way to experience the wonders of Vancouver w/o breaking the bank (even more than we are already!:o).

I have read that the hotels at the airport are cheaper than downtown. Considering all the luggage we will be carrying, is there a place to store this downtown while we visit there and then proceed to the cheaper hotels at the airport? Rent a car for the day? Or taxi from pier (which one is RCI?) to downtown hotel, store bags there, take local buses to downtown areas listed above, then take another taxi to airport the next day? We have a 7:45 a.m. flight on the 21st.

I would so appreciate any help you can provide!!!:)

We are staying in Vancouver one night (June 20) after our RCI cruise. I am still looking at activities to do there such as Stanley Park/Capilano Suspension Bridge/Grouse Mountain but just started my search.

The RCI ships dock at Ballentyne Pier, which is not in the downtown core. You will have to take a taxi (approx 10-15 minutes). It is situated in an industrial area.

This will be the last day of an wonderful but expensive trip (7 day land tour/7 day cruise) so am looking for a nice way to experience the wonders of Vancouver w/o breaking the bank (even more than we are already!:o).

I have read that the hotels at the airport are cheaper than downtown. Considering all the luggage we will be carrying, is there a place to store this downtown while we visit there and then proceed to the cheaper hotels at the airport? Rent a car for the day? Or taxi from pier (which one is RCI?) to downtown hotel, store bags there, take local buses to downtown areas listed above, then take another taxi to airport the next day? We have a 7:45 a.m. flight on the 21st.

Stanley Park - there is a free shuttle that will take you around the park - this usually takes approximately 45 minutes.

Capilano Suspension Bridge - this is in North Vancouver and to get there you will have to go over the Lions Gate Bridge (the one you sail under when you arrive into Vancouver) and up Capilano Road towards Grouse Mountain.

Grouse Mountain - once you get there, you will have to take the skyride up the mountain.

I would so appreciate any help you can provide!!!:)

You might not be able to do all three in one day. Once the ship docks in Vancouver, you will probably not be off of it until at least 10:00 a.m. You can rent a car and drive around Stanley park then take the exit from there over the bridge and up Capilano Road to the Bridge. There you might spend around 2 - 3 hours. Then the mountain which is just a bit further might take you a few hours there.

by the time you add in the higher cost of a car rental & gas at $5 per gallon approx you are better to spend the extra few dollars on a downtown hotel - check out Priceline closer to your date and then go to your hotel dump your luggage and then head out to your attractions via public transit an all day pass will cost you $9. To get to Capilaon & Grouse Mtn all you have to do is get yourself to the skytrain/seabus terminal which is next door to Canada Place the crusie ship terminal and once accross the harbor take the Capilaon Road bus up Capilano Rd to the Capilano Suspension Bridge get off the bus and enjoy the bridge allow yourself about 1.5 hours here - check it out at http://www.capbridge.com

Once you have enjoyed the bridge reboard the Capilano bus and continue to the end of its route which is the parking lot of the Grouse Mtn airtram - allow a minimum of a half day here - check it out at http://www.grousemountain.com

Enjoy

by the time you add in the higher cost of a car rental & gas at $5 per gallon approx you are better to spend the extra few dollars on a downtown hotel - check out Priceline closer to your date and then go to your hotel dump your luggage and then head out to your attractions via public transit an all day pass will cost you $9. To get to Capilaon & Grouse Mtn all you have to do is get yourself to the skytrain/seabus terminal which is next door to Canada Place the crusie ship terminal and once accross the harbor take the Capilaon Road bus up Capilano Rd to the Capilano Suspension Bridge get off the bus and enjoy the bridge allow yourself about 1.5 hours here - check it out at www.capbridge.com

Once you have enjoyed the bridge reboard the Capilano bus and continue to the end of its route which is the parking lot of the Grouse Mtn airtram - allow a minimum of a half day here - check it out at www.grousemountain.com

Enjoy

Thanks for posting this great info & links. We will be visiting both pre & post cruise in July. I see rates posted for grousemountain (I think it was 32.00 and references to winter activities) Trying to get a handle on our costs while in Vancouver. Do you think that it will be about the same rate in the summer?

Re: Grouse Mountain - the rates are generally the same year round - it is well worth the visit if it is sunny - spectacular views from the Peak of Vancouver and there is lots to do once up the mountain at no extra cost - the grizzly bears - lumberjack show - bird show - theater in the Sky - a short walk to the top of the Peak - a chance to see para gliders descending off of the mountain - the first nations cook house - a short walk to Blue Grouse Lake - looking down on the City of Vancouver and seeing your cruise ship docked at Canada Place - views of the Lions and Capilano Lake which is one of the reservoirs that provide Vancouver with its drinking water.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Re: Grouse Mountain - the rates are generally the same year round - it is well worth the visit if it is sunny - spectacular views from the Peak of Vancouver and there is lots to do once up the mountain at no extra cost - the grizzly bears - lumberjack show - bird show - theater in the Sky - a short walk to the top of the Peak - a chance to see para gliders descending off of the mountain - the first nations cook house - a short walk to Blue Grouse Lake - looking down on the City of Vancouver and seeing your cruise ship docked at Canada Place - views of the Lions and Capilano Lake which is one of the reservoirs that provide Vancouver with its drinking water.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks so much for the info. Loved your description & now can't wait to see Grouse Mountain. Now all we need is sun.

Another question...planning to do both Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge.....which would you do in the morning & which would you save for the afternoon?

I would recommend doing the Bridge first - you are more in the shade or should I say forest so you don't need a bright sun to enjoy the views - Grouse in the afternoon as the sun will be high in the sky and the photo opportunities that much better.

I would recommend doing the Bridge first - you are more in the shade or should I say forest so you don't need a bright sun to enjoy the views - Grouse in the afternoon as the sun will be high in the sky and the photo opportunities that much better.

Thanks Dennis...your help is really appreciated.

A couple of other questions....

What can you tell me about the Illuminares in John Hendry Park/Trout Lake? It looks like they are July 26th when we will be in Vancouver.

Also what about the Celebration of Light? It also seems that Illuminares will be the same night.

Can both be done the same night? Are they both worth seeing?

Any guidance will be appreciated. We want to do so much when in Vancouver & have so little time.

J

Lucky you - being in Vancouver for the Celebration of Light - it is one of the largest fireworks competitions in the world and attracts upwards of 500,000 for each of the 4 nights. Here's a link to the main sponsors page and other information.

http://celebration-of-light.com/

Don't know anything about the Illuminares in John Hendry Park/Trout Lake but with the fireworks on traffic in and out of the downtown core will be chaotic and Trout Lake is that close to the downtown core.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Lucky you - being in Vancouver for the Celebration of Light - it is one of the largest fireworks competitions in the world and attracts upwards of 500,000 for each of the 4 nights. Here's a link to the main sponsors page and other information.

http://celebration-of-light.com/

The Celebration of Light sounds fantastic- we just lucked out picking that week for the cruise & deciding to stay in Vancouver pre & post cruise. Thanks for the link to the sponsors.

Where do you suggest for viewing the fireworks? We are booked @ the Hampton Inn & Suites on Robson St. but are now rethinking. I see the list on the link of viewing points but do not know where they are in reference to where we are staying. Also, should we consider another hotel? (Money is limited as we are doing alot of excursions on the cruise.)

Don't know anything about the Illuminares in John Hendry Park/Trout Lake but with the fireworks on traffic in and out of the downtown core will be chaotic and Trout Lake is that close to the downtown core.

Can you clarify?....Trout Lake is that close to the downtown core.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis

Please see my notes above also.

Your info sure has helped.....Do you have time to review our projected Itinerary? (...if so I will do a seperate post.)

J

Archived