Dramamine?

lola4795

Someone recently told me to take Dramamine before we board and just keep taking it through the duration of the cruise because if we get seasick it's really hard to shake it.

I just assumed that I would pack some and take it if necessary.

What do you all do?

Hi

I take one non (less) drowsey Dramamine (generic - meclizine) before bed starting the night before boarding. Since I'm prone to vertigo, I may also take half a pill during the day, particularly while on land. Have never had a problem and I don't want one.

Your friend is correct, take the pills a few days or a day before and during the cruise Don't wait until you do get sea sick. Its not like the pills are habit forming. Also, if you do get sea sick drinking ginger ale helps, eating anything ginger. I prefer as a snack ginger cookies on a cruise although I usually eat chocolate chip and oreo cookies. Some prefer bromine pills.

If you don't know whether you get sea sick, take them in advance.

If you do know you will get sea sick, take them in advance.

Don't wait until you do get sea sick before taking the pills.

Ginger helps.

Ginger capsules do the trick for me. Start em about 10 days before you cruise.

What do ginger capsules do? I suppose they are better because they are a natural food? I'm intrigued. Can you get them in the vitamin section?

Bring everything! Call your MD and get a prescription for the "scop" patch, bring wristbands whatever. Dramamine makes me sleepy so I've given up on that. Ginger etc. doesn't seem to work. I get seasick at the dock, I've heaved on Disney's Mission Space (lovely clean-up in the utility closet) and the little Atlantis subride to see the coral reef. So, just be prepared. The patch is cheap. If you decide to go that way, try it before you go on your cruise to see about side effects. My daughter had blurred vision so we cut the patch in half (25 y/o tiny thing) - I seem to be fine. Certainly better than I would be without it! After 3 weeks on back to back cruises I decided to cut back to half a patch - was very seasick in a matter of a few hours. Went back to full size! And, I know, I'll probably be flamed about how awful the patch is but it's the only way I can go on a cruise!

My family only take ginger pills. Seems to work. We would only take it when we're about to feel sick. Doesn't make you drowsy. We also recommended it to friends and that's all they use. You can purchase it at any vitamin store.

The less drowsy Dramamine is the same as Bonine (mezcaline). Since it does tend to make me a little sleepy, I take it before bed. You can start the night before the cruise. You only need to take it once a day. It's always worked me.

I give our kids ginger pills. I don't give them a chance to get seasick, because that would ruin their (and my) vacation.

I usually take one the morning we board & one every day thereafter. This cruise I was so busy having fun, I kept forgetting & it was fine. The last 2 nights coming back to NYC from the Caribbean were a little rough for my tastes & I took medication the last 2 days. I also put my sea bands back on. While I could still feel the motion, it wasn't making me queasy. I actually felt less sick about 30-45 minutes after I took the pills.

People are correct. It's hard to shake once it starts but don't over medicate or the cure coudl be worse than the problem.

Found a ginger product called "Motion Mate" which is all natural with no side effects. Start taking it 2-3 days before sailing and take it through out your trip. You can buy it in any health food store. It works great for me.

Had a bad reaction to other motion sickness remedies so had to find an alternative.

Enjoy your cruise.

I don't get motion sickness in cars or on roller coasters, etc. Is a ship much different?

You probably are not very prone to sea sickness, then. Just in case, whatever you decide to take, try it at home first. Personally, I have a bad reaction to Bonine and Dramamine makes me very sleepy. I usually start ginger pills about a day before and have had no problems.

I have taken dramamine and bonine.

The dramamine made me very sleepy and spacy however with the bonine I had absolutley no side affect.

I took the bonine when I boarded the ship and then took one tablet every morning and I was never queasy. I am the type of person that gets queasy just looking at a park ride that goes in a circle.

The OP is correct in stating that you do not want to wait until you get sick to take the pills. Being sea sick is the worst so no matter what you decide, start the medication 4-6 hours before you sail and then continue with the pills the entire trip.

Hope this helps.

With Dramamine, you need water to take it. It makes me very sleepy, so I don't use it. Bonine lasts 24 hours per pill. It dissolves in your mouth with a fruitty flavor. I can drive, ride amusement park rides, fly in airlines & cruise!

Someone recently told me to take Dramamine before we board and just keep taking it through the duration of the cruise because if we get seasick it's really hard to shake it.

I just assumed that I would pack some and take it if necessary.

What do you all do?

I am a motion sickness queen so I take no chances!!

I take it before I get on the plane or car since we'll be driving this time. I take 1 in the morning and one just before dinner. I continue until I get home. I use the less drowsy dramamine.

Many people don't need it if they are not prone to motion sickness. My dh and ds have never taken it on any cruise. I also think the size of the ship helps. The bigger the better. The size of the ship is a major part of our decision making.

The most bothersome side effect with either of these meds (meclizine and dimenhydrinate) is the drowsiness they can cause. The best way to counteract this is to take it at night before you go to bed starting the night before you leave (either on a plane or the ship). This way, if it does make you sleepy, you simply sleep through it. (Just be sure you have a REALLY good alarm clock-you don't want to sleep right through your flight!). The only trouble with this thought is with the dimenhydrinate (original formula Dramamine) it requires you to take it every 4-6 hours. This is why we recommend the meclizine (aka less-drowsy formula Dramamine, Bonine). As a previous poster stated, it need only be taken once every 24 hours. There has been limited success with ginger. Some people swear by it, I personally have never found it to be effective enough. If you have not had a previous history of motion sickness, you may wish to start with it, but, have some of the other along with you just in case. The seabands (bands that go around your wrist and work along the lines of acupressure) have also shown very limited success, but, again, some people swear by them. I personally don't think they make all that great of a fashion statement!

Lots of good info on these boards. Hope this helps some.

Archived