Progresso & Coz

eltigre

Sailing on Ecstasy Sept 15 to Progresso & Coz. & have questions.

Are there fridges in the cabins?

Plan shopping & getting the feel in Progresso. Where do I go & how do I get there? Then to Mederia. Same questions where & best way to get there & get around in town?

Coz is snorkling & have my own gear except thought I'd like to rent or buy one of those blow up yellow vests. I've reserved a car with Avis. Where should I go to check out the vests?

I have just joined forum & have learned so much...

Thanks

eltigre:p

Plan shopping & getting the feel in Progresso. Where do I go & how do I get there? Then to Mederia. Same questions where & best way to get there & get around in town?

Coz is snorkling & have my own gear except thought I'd like to rent or buy one of those blow up yellow vests. I've reserved a car with Avis. Where should I go to check out the vests?

I have just joined forum & have learned so much...

Thanks

Hola and welcome to the boards.

We have not had a fridge on a Carnival ship but we always book the cheap seats. We had them last year on Princess and RCCL.

You can take a shuttle bus to Progreso and book tours or shop near the bus stop. There are plenty of tours available for about half of the cost of a ship tour. Most tours don't leave town until after 10:00 so there is plenty of time to shop in the market, take an open air bus tour of town or walk a couple of blocks to Corona Beach.

In Coz your best shore snorkeling is either Chankanabb Park or Dzul Ha. We took taxis for around $10 to $12 one way. If you rent a car, you owe it to yourself to drive to the eastside and visit Coconuts and Chen Rio. There are plenty of nice beaches on the west side for loafing and if a boat snorkel trip is on the agenda you might check out Playa Palancar. We had a trip last year for $30 @ and there were only 8 people on the boat.

You can google "snorkel equipment" and find a list of vendors. We have ordered stuff from Joediver, Overton's and Sea Dog and have been pleased with them all.

Thanks for the info. Feeling more more comfy regarding the ports now. Also finding good info on the vests. The price is double here in BC compared to ordering online.

Last time I snorkled Coz was in early 90's. Sounding like I will be in for a big surprise with all the changes. No beach clubs then!!! 1 pier & 1 ferry & that was provided a very interesting trip from the mainland.

eltigre

Sorry, fantasy class ships only have fridges in the suites.

Take a soft sided cooler and ask steward to keep full. Some will, I have had one tell me they can't:( You will have an ice bucket.

snorkel in Coz has really suffered since the hurricans. I went to paradise beach last, which I loved before and it was really said.

Sometimes you can get a fridge if you have medications that need to be stored at a cooler temperature.

Cozumel isn't a good place for snorkeling from the shore--much better to do it from a boat. EagleRaydivers.com in Cozumel has a great 2-3 hour snorkeling trip where you will see schools of fish instead of just one or two stray fish swimming around. If you do book a boat trip they will have all the necessary gear, but if you still want to buy it for yourself a couple of good snorkel/scuba online stores are Scubatoys.com and Scuba.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I shore snorkeled in Coz was 1995. It was great.

Then 2006 at several different Hawaiian Islands & it was great.

2008 back to Coz with someone who will have difficulty from a boat tour.

Realizing that this is a subjective question but being able to compare what I have done & how I felt about it,

Will I be disapointed at Daz Hul in Sept?

Thanks

eltigre :confused:

Last time I shore snorkeled in Coz was 1995. It was great.

Then 2006 at several different Hawaiian Islands & it was great.

2008 back to Coz with someone who will have difficulty from a boat tour.

Realizing that this is a subjective question but being able to compare what I have done & how I felt about it,

Will I be disapointed at Daz Hul in Sept?

Thanks

eltigre :confused:

The shallow coral took a beating from Wilma and you won't see coral as you did before, but the fish are still there. I even saw my first Moray in a coral head last year. Man are they ugly!! Well, probably not to another Moray.

• 1 month later...

Archived