Can anyone update us on the water condition at Cayo Levantado?

Sandyrella

We have heard numerous reports since the holidays that the water was green and murky (there are pictures to prove it...) due to a tropical storm that went through there in December.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=678353&highlight=starfamily

Is there anyone that has recently returned that can give us an update? With pictures :)

Thanks so much!

Sandy

The really green, murky water was not around Cayo Leventado. The water there, altho not as crystal clear as the caribbean we're so accustomed to, was still pretty nice. We didn't go snorkeling, so can't attest to the quality there. The water was worst closer to the mainland, especially around the mouths of the rivers. Cayo L is an island in the bay. We were there on the 13th of Jan.

Hope this helps. It was still really pretty there! If it's snorkeling you want to do, I'd say just bring your stuff and try it. If it's not good, just enjoy the beach.

Thanks so much for the update birdnutty. It's sounds like the water is clearing up based on the early reports.

What excursion did you do? And did you do it through the cruiseline or independently? Just curious since you seemed to do more than just the beach.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
can any recent cruisers give us an update on the water situation?

Thanks,

Sandy

I just returned from Cayo L. The water is clear around the island. I will be posting some photos later this week. We really enjoyed the island and beach at this stop, and highly recommend.

hova

Cayo Levantado-Anyone go to this beach on own. From other posts it appears one can do so by going to pier on tender then contract for a ride over. But how reliable are the locals on getting you back to the pier from the beach for tender back to ship. And how easy to get a ride to the beach? Hate to pay $33/each just to go on tender directly from NCL Pearl ship- seems expensive but may be not much more than going with locals? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the update hova...would love to see some pictures once you post!

try this link for some photos from our cruise....including a few from Cayo Levantado.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/562388477lOFXTm

also....I walked around the beach area alot, and I didn't see anyone coming from the Samana area on private boats. It looks like the only way their is through th cruise line. Well worth the $33 in my opinion.

hova

Archived