Galaxy

donovan

Just returned from 10 night southern carribbean cruise on the Galaxy. This was our 9th cruise (all with Celebrity), third time on the Galaxy. This was the first time that we did not book air with the cruiseline....transfers were much easier. Paid a taxi about 22$ to take us to the pier...got to the pier at 1:30. Filled out a short form and was immediately let on the ship.

I know there has been alot said about "the condition" of the Galaxy. It is an old ship, but Celebrity really does do an excellent job of keeping it clean and looking as well as they can. That being said, it does need to be refurbished. They will be replacing EVERYTHING!! They were changing the rug in Michael's club during our cruise.

Our itinerary was busy but fun-filled. I would recommend snorkeling on Tortola...very clear water..lots of fish. We did the dune buggy tour on Barbados....An absolute riot!! A catamaran on St. Lucia and Palm beach day on Aruba. Grenada wasn't our favorite island...ranks right up there with Jamaica in regards to islanders hawking us...it was really annoying. I usually just say "no thanks" and that's it, but not on this island.

Things we did not like: They have raised the prices of their drinks.

-They have done away with rack of lamb.

-We were told at booking that there would be 3 formals, 2 informals and 5 casuals...when we got there, they changed it to 2 formals and 3 informals.

-We noticed a decline in the quality of food in the main dining room...but only at dinner.

There are alot of things we like about Celebrity. It used to be our number 1 reason for sailing with them was the food quality and variety...that is no longer the case.

Last year we tried a Sandal's vacation for the first time...the quality of the food is now the same as Celebrity's food. It is for this reason that we will probably be doing all-inclusive's for awhile. it's much more economical for us.

Thanks for the objective review.

Your concerns were much the same as mine on my recent Century cruise. While we love X it seems to be in the decline, and I have a feeling RCL has a lot to do with it.

We will be on Galaxy in June and are looking forward to our first Med. Cruise. We are hoping for at least the minimum Celebrity experience that we are accustomed to unlike our recent experience.

I think they are putting all of their eggs into one basket ....Solstice...and neglecting the rest of the ships fleet wide. Be it food, or service.

Dave:eek:

We did the Southern Caribbean on Galaxy last March. While in Grenada we had a full day tour with Mandoo. He does a great job of showing his island. You can Find Mandoo at this link: http://www.grenadatours.com/ He kept us busy and away for the island hawkers so it was not a problem at all for us. :D

The Southern Caribbean cruise itinerary on Galaxy is a wonderful cruise.:D

We were in Grenada on 11/06 and took a tour with Mando which was great.

We finished with a two hour beach stop. Mando commented that Grand Anse beach was a popular beach but Mourne Rouge beach was quieter, a nicer beach and he was correct. There was nobody there, gentle surf, trees (shade) at the edge. Its the next beach around the bay from Grand Anse beach.

hope this helps

Rich

Things we did not like: They have raised the prices of their drinks.

-They have done away with rack of lamb.

-We were told at booking that there would be 3 formals, 2 informals and 5 casuals...when we got there, they changed it to 2 formals and 3 informals....

How much did the drink prices go up?

I am thrilled they removed one of the formal nights, I wouldn't be sad if they all went away. (Yeah, yeah, I know how you all feel, but I only dress up because I choose to comply with the dress code, not because I enjoy it :)) It makes sense, on such a port intensive, Caribbean island cruise as this one, to make it a little less formal.

Archived