8 person vehicle in Skagway? Any chance?

2babybears

We will be in Skagway in mid May and I am wondering if anyone knows of the possibility for a rental big enough for 8 of us? Do they have large vans? Or maybe an RV.....does anyone know if they rent those out for a day?

Thanks!!

I don't know if they have 8 passenger vans to rent in Skagway. I know that a couple of years ago we were able to rent an 8 passenger van in Ketchikan. If there are no vans large enough in Skagway then I don't think it would cost too much more by just renting two cars and play "follow the leader" to Emerald Lake.

Try emailing sourdoughrental@yahoo.com. I have not used them but have heard good things about them. Older dirty vehicles but reliable and cheap. The only other option as I understand it is Avis. Good luck.

Sorry "reliable" isn't a given with this company. 2006 had several reports of break downs, with me having a very iffy running car that got horrific gas milage. The operator couldn't have cared less.

Sorry "reliable" isn't a given with this company. 2006 had several reports of break downs, with me having a very iffy running car that got horrific gas milage. The operator couldn't have cared less.

To be "fair and balanced" :D others (particulary Yukon and the above poster) have had good experiences.

To be "fair and balanced" :D others (particulary Yukon and the above poster) have had good experiences.

If you think about, how many times do you think Murray has rented from them????? He can't even get the car back into Canada?? I also don't see any "above poster" who has used them???

Another "fair and balanced" possibility- does Murray, know this vendor personally?? If he does, perhaps, things have improved???

I have had dealings with them 3 times, none went smoothly, and definately they had filty cars, which I accepted. But I drew the line with maintance problems.

If you think about, how many times do you think Murray has rented from them????? He can't even get the car back into Canada?? I also don't see any "above poster" who has used them???

Another "fair and balanced" possibility- does Murray, know this vendor personally?? If he does, perhaps, things have improved???

I have had dealings with them 3 times, none went smoothly, and definately they had filty cars, which I accepted. But I drew the line with maintance problems.

To clarify, I have obviously never rented from Sourdough, since I drive me own car to Skagway. I have looked at their operation, seen people working on their cars in their lot, have seen many of their cars on the road year round (none broken down) and have talked to a few people on the road about their experiences with the company (all have been either neutral or positive). I do not know the owners. Since they're almost the same price as Avis, they wouldn't be my first choice, but if they were the only option I'd have no hesitation about renting from them.

Murray

To clarify, I have obviously never rented from Sourdough, since I drive me own car to Skagway. I have looked at their operation, seen people working on their cars in their lot, have seen many of their cars on the road year round (none broken down) and have talked to a few people on the road about their experiences with the company (all have been either neutral or positive). I do not know the owners. Since they're almost the same price as Avis, they wouldn't be my first choice, but if they were the only option I'd have no hesitation about renting from them.

Murray

Thanks for your input, Murray. Last year, there didn't seem to be the negatives like the year before. So hopefully they have strightened out their act?? I first rented from them in 1999, in 2006, with the mechanical problem, the owner- gave me a "so what" and didn't seem to think it was an issue that a Ford Taurus only got 8-10mph and barely made it up the Klondike Highway. He also said a cheaper car was booked. It sat in his lot the day I was there, since I had asked when I booked to be given the cheapest car if a cancelation became available. (the taurus was considered a mid size)

Sorry you did not have a good experience Budget Queen. To the OP I simply gave a suggestion that sourdough may have an eight person vehicle but like I said before I have no experience with them. I did email them this weekend with some questions and have not heard back yet, so if that is any indication of their service we may be going with Avis.

Archived