Cunard ladies - Opinions on these dresses please!

LadyPink

Afternoon Ladies!

Newbie to ships/liners here and needing advice on a few dresses i have bought and some that i will be buying this week.

Please click on this link:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=698027

I have had some feedback but some ladies have mentioned Cunard being of a different class? So i thought i would post the link here to attract some of the Cunard ladies to help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ladypink,

I've been on Cunard several times, and I'm in my 30s. The dresses you've picked are perfectly appropriate for the atmosphere on Cunard. I read the posters on your other link, and some people had concern about space in the closets. There is plenty of space in the closets for your gowns. In fact, on many of my crossings and cruises on Cunard, I share a cabin with my mother and sister, and we three ladies manage to fit all of our gowns in the closets!!

This is a special trip for you, and with 6 formal nights to look forward to, you can look and feel like a princess each night. There's something so special about an evening aboard the QM2, all dressed up in a beautiful gown, with your special man in his tuxedo, enjoying the elegant and fun atmosphere on board with other passengers all decked out in their formalwear. You'll feel like characters in a classic movie!!

Enjoy!!

Congratulations on your wedding, I was 23 when I got married 2 years ago, seems like an age away!

Those dresses look very nice. Just the kind of thing I am packing for my QM2 Caribbean cruise in February. I am 5'7" and hate my legs too, but at least you have the advantage of olive skin you lucky girl!! I am packing a black and white ball gown not to different from the one you have picked, a burgandy ball gown, and a gold and black ball gown for my 3 formal nights.

As long as you think you can carry them I'd definately take 6 ball gowns, it's not like you get to dress up in a ball gown every time you go out for dinner is it!!

BTW if you need a wedding photographer let me know!

Hi Ladypink....and welcome to the Cunard forum. You ask the questions so many of us had about formal wear the first time we sailed on this great ship. Yes, Cunard is a more formal line so you are right to want to dress to suit that. And a TA is always a bit more formal. However, even informal on Cunard is quite dressy.

Your dresses are lovely but I shudder to think of the packing and the storing of them. Closet space, while decent, is not overwhelming. You don't mention which you will be traveling in, Britannia or the grills. One thing you need to know is that the length of hanging space is not enough for a gown to hang out fully. I travel only with what i like to call "slinky' gowns...easy to pack and hang without overwhelming the little closet space there is. I send them out for steaming the day I get on yet because they hang and "bunch" on the bottom of the closet, they need steaming again on the bottoms the day I'm to wear them. Unfortunately Cunard has not seen fit to install at least one high hook outside the closet so that we could put a gown there to hang full length.

You might also find that sitting through a long dinner in such full gowns could be uncomfortable due to the shape of the chairs. And you should also think about the fact that on a back to back, few will see you wearing the same thing twice. Quite honestly, I doubt anyone would notice on the same trip...it's a huge ship!! And while I understand how exciting it is to prepare for this wonderful trip of yours, perhaps buying 6 such limited use gowns is a bit much? Then again, I"m not young like you unfortunately!!;)

The pressing service on QM2 is excellent and swift but does add up. There are rooms where you can do laundry and iron things but I have to be honest and say I don't do that ever when onboard her. And don't forget you will have a lot of daytime clothing to deal with too. The ocean can be quite chilly so plan for that if you want to be on deck a a bit.

I wish you great happiness in your up coming marriage...a B2B on QM2 is one incredible honeymoon!! Do have the time of your life. You might enjoy reading my about my "Affair" with QM2 the first trip I took on her....the link is in my signature below. I can't wait to continue that "Affair" for the 3rd time on a TA this year. Best wishes to you......

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

2008...THE AFFAIR" GOES TRANSATLANTIC

Hi Lady Pink

You will be the belle of the ball in anyone of those dresses.Before you go Cunard will let you know how many formal evenings there will be,on the informal evenings many ladies still dress up, perhaps with a little sparkle!

Have a wonderful honeymoon you have chosen well.

Regards

Kathie:)

LP,

Nonsense!

I think Penny must be having an off night. Usually she is right on in her advice.

I don't see you having major problems with those gowns, and as a "big girl" (5'6", sz 3X) myself, I understand how exciting it is to find beautiful gowns, and an excuse to wear them, and how thrilled you must be. I have a favorite gown I have worn multiple times that looks a lot like #3 in the first post and the middle one in the second post. It has a crinoline sewn into the skirt. I was NEVER uncomfortable in the chairs on QM2, and don't expect to be on QE2 either. If *I* can fit in the chair comfortably, the gown will be. With strapless, they will not hang down as far in the closet. Since they appear to be of a fairly stiff but draping fabric, I don't think you will need to steam them, and can probably touch up the bottoms if need be. (Taffeta type fabric?) I did notice that a couple of them look somewhat similar. It is so hard to find ANY gowns in other than black. Of course, if you are going to have a couple of similar looking black gowns, you might want to save a little money (To spend on more champagne!) by perhaps dropping one and accessorizing them differently. The bolero sounds absolutely marvelous! Maybe one of those marvelous faux gemstone necklaces that cascade in a triangle. I can't think what they're called (if I ever knew) but they are sort of like a triangular dickie made of jewels! (I know, sounds weird, huh?) On another night, perhaps a black velvet choker with a pendant type charm hanging from it. (You can make this yourself fairly cheap, using a brooch or a pendant and a small ring to hang the charm/pendant from!)

But regardless, those gowns are beautiful, and you will look most scintillating in them. If you will have no problems with packing them and weight in the suitcases, I say go for it! Some times we women simply have to indulge ourselves in these things. Feeling like a princess is worth the extra hassle and a little discomfort. after all, we wear pointy heels and stockings, and those aren't exactly comfort clothes for most!

Don't sweat the chair size. I have not yet met the chair on Cunard I did not feel comfortable in, and there are plenty out their in the world that I do NOT feel comfortable in due to my size!

Bon Voyage and enjoy!

Karie

P.S. I have several similar "ballgown type" dresses- full skirted- to hide my "sins" and I did not find the closet space on a standard balcony cabin to be inadequate. Marc and I shared space in one closet and I think they are really bigger than some people remember. Yes the skirts are full, but you will have other things which will only go half the length of the closet (shirts, pants on pant hangers doubled over, skirts, etc) and as stated, once done could be laid out under the bed, as stated. Since you are b2b and not worried about flying/weight/room, go for it! We fit four or five large suitcases under the bed and when empty can nest them. If you are concerned about them hanging free, buy a cheap over the door hangar hook you can hang them on! I' sure there is somewhere you could put them Mine were never a problem. and DO bring an ascot style hat- I brought about five including two picture hats last cruise. You will stand out and attention is drawn to elegant hair and hat (and away from any "problem areas" and do bring a pair of elbow length gloves. You will feel so serenely beautiful!

INDULGE! I can just tell you are looking for permission! DO IT!

KP

Ladypink -- I agree with Karie. Bring those dresses. Congrats on your wedding. What a lovely honeymoon you and your husband will share on a back to back crossing. Not having to worry about the amount of luggage is great! Sometimes the ladies on the fashion board get a little much, if you know what I mean. You will not be overdressed on a crossing not that I would know, but I have been on QM2 twice for Caribbean cruises and it was very dressy.

It's so nice to have choices for the formal nights.

Have fun and bring all the clothes you can!!

--Judy

I was going to make the same suggestion as Karie about the similarity of the gowns--since they're so similar, I'd choose one less of them and accessorize differently. Although I can't believe I'm actually suggesting someone limit their clothes shopping! Maybe you can get one of the gowns in a different color?

I hope you have a great cruise!

"I think Penny must be having an off night."

I disagree--Penny's advice is indeed spot on.

One can have a different opinion without putting down someone else's.

M-L

I'm sorry if I spoke (wrote) poorly. I had not intended it as an insult and hope that Penny did not take it as such.

KP

Lady Pink, how exciting that you are getting married and going on the QM2 on your honeymoon. A back to back transatlantic is even better!

Your gowns are lovely and I think they are very appropriate for someone your age. You mentioned on the other thread that getting them to the ship would not be a problem. You have worn some of these gowns before, so I assume you feel they are comfortable for an evening of dinner and dancing.

Most of us have to deal with weight limits when we cruise, so we have to think about taking fewer gowns and think of ways to make them look a little different with different accessories. There is certainly nothing wrong with wearing the same gown twice - especially on a back to back when most of the passengers will be different on each voyage.

Most of us on the Cunard forum love the stories of the golden age of ocean voyages when the ladies arrived at the pier with all their beautiful clothes stored in steamer trunks. Some of those ladies wore multiple outfits each day. As you stroll around the ship each evening looking so lovely, you will feel you are being transported back to that wonderful era.

Take your beautiful gowns and have a wonderful voyage on the QM2. This will be a memory to be shared with your children and grandchildren.

Please post when you return and let us know how you enjoyed the trip.

Beth

take them all.

we went on the qe2 for 17 days in july and my wife never wore the same dress twice. she's 27.

enjoy, glenn.

Glenn, I remember some of the lovely photos you posted of your family and your wife looked beautiful in very similar gowns. Of course, I also remember all the fun you had getting all the luggage to the ship!!!;)

Itty Bitty is so cute!!!

Beth

LadyPink, bring them all and enjoy the special trip! Even if you go again there is nothing like a honeymoon feel and you will want to maximize it! Don't forget some lovely dresses for the semi-formal nights too. I think the pink is beautiful and can be very beautiful with olive skin (my sister has such skin with dark eyes and looks stunning!) perhaps find a pink flower to pin your hair up with. I did this when wearing a red dress (put 3 red lilies in my curly hair, half pulling it up in back) and I received several lovely compliments.

Have a wonderful time packing it all and tell us how it went! (and post pictures)

....BTW, where has Nitty been?

I'm sorry...late to this party (Ball?)

Best wishes on a happy event, Lady Pink, and what a glorious honeymoon.

But I wanted to ask the others...

Hats? In the evening? Indoors? Really? :eek:

Being of the less fair sex, I understood it 'wasn't done' by ladies, but am guessing I'm out of date...:confused:

Andrew

I'm sorry...late to this party (Ball?)

Best wishes on a happy event, Lady Pink, and what a glorious honeymoon.

But I wanted to ask the others...

Hats? In the evening? Indoors? Really? :eek:

Being of the less fair sex, I understood it 'wasn't done' by ladies, but am guessing I'm out of date...:confused:

Andrew

Quite so, dear boy. Tolerated during those "Theme Balls", Ascot and the like.

Nina, I think it was as you understand it during the day, but that hats were not part of a lady's outfit indoors at night. I suppose, in the most practical explanation of the tradition, that a hat would interfere with your tiara!:D

Andrew

As for the classes of passengers- formal is formal on the ship- regardless of class.

There is no class system on Cunard. Please don't peddle inaccuracies.

Some people have larger cabins and there are different restaurants. That's about it.

Matthew

Nina, I think it was as you understand it during the day, but that hats were not part of a lady's outfit indoors at night. I suppose, in the most practical explanation of the tradition, that a hat would interfere with your tiara!:D

Andrew

Yes, I suppose that is quite right. Hair pieces such as feathers, flowers, tiara's, decorative snoods and the like used to be common in place of a hat in the evening.

Andrew

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I think I would like a tiara. :p

How about this one?

Tiara.jpg.7ca5497b9d365520822877d88cd67188.jpg

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I think I would like a tiara. :p

How about this one?

Looks good. Kirsten wants a tiara too. Real diamonds. I reckon she's quite like this one.....

diamond_sapphire.jpg

Ideas above her station if you ask me!

Matthew

Archived