Why ???

Captain Funtime

I was just on another thread about "best prices" and several posters agree with my feeling that your PVP doesn't (usually) have the best price and then won't meet the competition. Carnival pays commission to the "best price" people. Why wouldn't Carnival have the best price ?? Am I crazy ?

Why wouldn't Carnival have the best price ?? Am I crazy ?[/font]

The fare the PVP sees in the computer is the best current insividual res fare being offered. But an agency may have access to:

A) Specially negotiated fares

B) Group fares

C) Additional perks/discounts through a consortium

But if you call CCL directly you are not: A) a client of that special agency, or B) a member of that group, or C) a member agency of that consortium. So you are getting the best fare available to YOU. You can only get these special fares by booking through the afancy that has qualifies for them.

Also, the agency may be rebating back some of its commission to you. Your actual fare can be exactly as offered by CCL but your net cost will be that fare less the rebate amount. CCL won't get incolved in that.

Also remember that if you book with an agency (who has bought a block of cabins) and Carnival reduces the rate for your cabin, the agency often does not credit you with the difference. We had that happen, so switched to PVP

I was just on another thread about "best prices" and several posters agree with my feeling that your PVP doesn't (usually) have the best price and then won't meet the competition. Carnival pays commission to the "best price" people. Why wouldn't Carnival have the best price ?? Am I crazy ?

I don't know why, but that's the way it is. I've received what I consider incredible deals compared to the Carnival price by using an online discount agency on a certain website that shall remain unnamed. ;)

A funny thing happened at the TA recently while pricing cruises for Carnival.

My TA was on the phone with an agent from Carnival and the agent gave us a price and the phone got disconnected while we were in progress.

So my TA called back and got someone new who gave us a higher price!

The TA gave that agent the price we were given first and the agent stood firm thats all he could do.

Well the TA threatened to hang up and call someone else. Hmmmm...the price magically dropped!

Now my thinking is that PVP's have the power to lower prices some if they really want or need to.

Some of you might try this action and see if it works for you.

This was MY experience. It may not work for everyone.

A funny thing happened at the TA recently while pricing cruises for Carnival.

My TA was on the phone with an agent from Carnival and the agent gave us a price and the phone got disconnected while we were in progress.

So my TA called back and got someone new who gave us a higher price!

The TA gave that agent the price we were given first and he stood firm thats all he could do.

Well the TA threatened to hang up and call someone else. Hmmmm...the price magically dropped!

Now my thinking is they have the power to lower prices some if they really want to.

Some of you might try this action and see if it works for you.

Not sure why your TA needed to call CCL? Most agencies now have direct access to Carnival's inventory and pricing?

To answer the op...85% of cruises are still booked through distribution channels such as agencies. This may fluctuate in the coming years, but probably will stay somewhat steady. The cruiselines need the agencies to sell their products, they can't afford to handle all the reservations , customer service issues, etc. on their own. The money they would pay to employees including benefits, would by far be more than what they are paying in commission on a cruise. Agenices are in essence, the cruiselines sales force....Renaissance cruises tried to do it all on their own...by the time they realized they couldn't it was too late...Renaissance cruises is no longer....

Carnival has price parody, all rates are the same. the are only a few instances you will find a better rate then a PVP and usually its when an Agent takes a cut from their commission, which they are not supposed to do.

I thought this parody was only for online pricing, and calling in could still get you a cheaper rate. My PVP always comes in hundreds of dollars higher than my online agents...i know that sometime price adjustments and cancellation policies can be strict and need to be watched out for, but the 'extra' money you pay to book directly through CCL adds up if you cruise a lot.

My experience...this being the first cruise I have ever purchased...was that Carnival's site was always either on par or higher than the standard online travel sites. I was able to book my cruise online at one of the standard sites $500 less than what Carnival had posted on the same day at the same time. So, when I shop my next cruise, I will do it myself and watch the three major travel sites online for discounts...then jump on the deal I believe to be the best. It does require a bit more work on my part, but I think the savings is worth it.

However, my cruise cannot be changed, cancelled or altered once booked. That might be a bad side for people that need that flexibility.

I am happy so far with what I was able to get.... :D

i am a PVP, and i regularly go on all the discount sites to call my last minute or frequent guests and look the rates up in my system and they are exactly the same. ive never seen a discount online i couldnt find directly. also when you book direct you avoid processing fees.

your pvp may not be accessing the right promotions.

They will be the same online. Carnival does not allow advertising discounted rates but they allow discounting. If you call and speak to the agency you will find them much lower than CCL most of the time.

a PVP does not make percentage commission, so the lowest rate is in their best interest, even if it comes after you put down a deposit. a good PVP will take care of a valued guest and adjust their rate with any promotions or upgrades before final payment.

This is what my PVP did and I'm not a frequent cruiser. She called out of the blue and told me that I was getting OBC for my cruise. I was thinking of transfering to a online TA to get a cheaper rate but my wife said not to take a chance on getting a crappy TA who just trying to get a commision. Its about the service. If my PVP quits then I will start thinking of looking elseware.

I have researched several times to find cruises $100's of dollars cheaper and have yet to see one. There have been a few times that I have found them to maybe $20 - $40 cheaper but not 100's. Not saying they aren't out there just haven't seen them. I stick with my person at Carnival because she is always friendly, helpful and constantly looking out for my interest. To me that is worth the 20 to 40 dollars difference in price. It also allows me to change plans if need be.

I was trying to be kind and not mention that:)

LOL! That was quite nice of you.:)

If a lay person not involved in any part of selling cruises knows it then I would think that they SHOULD know it.

To come on here and state I'm a PVP and start spouting off what CCL's rules are, I find the fact that he/she doesn't know quite telling.

faeriechick,

No I wouldn't be surprised. That's why I book with a TA.:)

Bill

LOL! That was quite nice of you.:)

If a lay person not involved in any part of selling cruises knows it then I would think that they SHOULD know it.

To come on here and state I'm a PVP and start spouting off what CCL's rules are, I find the fact that he/she doesn't know quite telling.

faeriechick,

No I wouldn't be surprised. That's why I book with a TA.:)

Bill

I quite agree....I'm sure he is new and just very excited about his job, and that's a good thing....he will learn...but may be eaten alive in the meantime:)

I quite agree....I'm sure he is new and just very excited about his job, and that's a good thing....he will learn...but may be eaten alive in the meantime:)

Haha! I agree. Since I have graduated on to more support type services, I am sometimes appalled at the types of questions I get asked on a daily basis. I once had an agent think the letter B was a vowel. :eek: I once had another agent who lived in Miami ask when hurricane season was. :eek: :eek:

I really hope those particular questions were due to nerves. :) However, we all were new and unseasoned at one point, so hopefully we try to cut each other some slack. :)

Not sure why your TA needed to call CCL? Most agencies now have direct access to Carnival's inventory and pricing?

Anytime we have booked with our TA at AAA travel she has always called.

I guess talking direct with someone at Carnival helps sometimes. Plus we always without fail get a 2 CAT upgrade for free.

I would think that something as large as AAA would have a decent computer system but they call the cruiselines directly for some reason.

She has also done this for us for the other lines we have sailed.

So your guess is as good as mine but as far as I am concerned I make out ok.

Maybe other agencies do things different? I dunno.

Hmm

i am quite aware that many agents cut into their commsission to offer lower rates, its an unethical practice but it happens.

please dont insult me or my intelligence. i find that unneccessary.

I'm not sure it's necessarily unethical. Some of the more notorious cutters of commission do charge membership rates to their guests, so I think it all evens out in the end. The fact of the matter is, travel agents have to fight for their paychecks like everyone else, and I think for them sometimes taking a pay cut of $50 or whatever is better than making no money at all.

Anytime we have booked with our TA at AAA travel she has always called.

I guess talking direct with someone at Carnival helps sometimes. Plus we always without fail get a 2 CAT upgrade for free.

I would think that something as large as AAA would have a decent computer system but they call the cruiselines directly for some reason.

She has also done this for us for the other lines we have sailed.

So your guess is as good as mine but as far as I am concerned I make out ok.

Maybe other agencies do things different? I dunno.

Hmm

They do have a great system...I have seen many agents that don't trust the systems and can't get away from calling direct. Hey as long as it works, I won't knock it:). I was just wondering..thanks for the answer!

So, are you telling me that an ONLINE agency will, if you call them, give you a better price than either Carnival online, calling a PVP, or booking with that same online agency, um, online?

That makes zero sense to me.

How would anyone who is searching ONLINE for a cruise have any idea in the world that the prices they see aren't the prices they can get?

What's the point in being an online agency if none of the prices are accurate?

:confused:

So, are you telling me that an ONLINE agency will, if you call them, give you a better price than either Carnival online, calling a PVP, or booking with that same online agency, um, online?

That makes zero sense to me.

How would anyone who is searching ONLINE for a cruise have any idea in the world that the prices they see aren't the prices they can get?

What's the point in being an online agency if none of the prices are accurate?

:confused:

This is not the idea of the online agency. It's a rule imposed by Carnival. An agency cannot advertise rebated fares and in most cases cannot advertise group rates to the general public.

So you can surf the net all you want looking for those huge savings and you won't normally find them. But if you call the agency you might. First of all, they might offer you a rebate right off the bat. Then they might have group space on the sailing you're interested in which can be hundreds more. On top of that, even if they don't have group space on the saling you want they might tell you "by the way, if you can sail a week later we have the same cabins at $500 per person less." I guarantee you that the first thing we did upon answering the phone was to see if the caller was asling about a sailing on or close to some group space we were holding.

I would love to know what the actual percentage of pax book through a T/A ???? As the internet continues to chew at customers...I honestly feel that more and more persons will use the web..... Look at the growth in the past few years in Christmas/Holiday sales. Maybe my experiences have been different but I have been very pleased with cruises I purchased from on-line reps. JMHO

As of 2006, according to Bob Dickenson...85% of cruisers are booking through agencies ( which include our internet agencies). This is a CCL statistic, but as a TA for over 13 years...it is probably close with all cruiselines. The internet is taking some customers away..that will happen...but let's now differentiate between online Ta's and brick and mortar TA's. Most agencies are online. Let's look at the top 10 online agencies, which cannot be named due to cc guidelines....whether you believe it or not, alot of Ta's are affilliated with these agencies. So I guess the better question would be....how many people are booking with the small brick and mortar agencies with no internet presence?...probably not a whole lot. What people seem not to understand is alot of the top internet agencies do have real travel "experienced" agents working for them.

Archived