wave season

socal4me

i'm curious...do most of you seasoned/frequent cruisers book your cruise during the "wave season" which apparently looks like it occurs every January.

i booked a cruise for June last year...and now during wave season I forwarded to my travel agent some emails showing the promotion and she was able to get me a lower price....

thanks,

Carol

Pasadena, CA

Wave season is January and February, and is a marketing promo sponsored by CLIA and the cruise lines. It is particularly targeted at the mass first time cruiser market, but they do have lots of great prices during those two months. Be prepared for long telephone waits at any travel agency (brick and mortar or online) and the cruise lines during these two months if you DO call.

You will also notice alot more cruise commercials on TV. The cruiselines can gauge what the business will be like for the remainder of the year by the bookings made in Wave....Last year wave really didn't end until June...it was crazy busy!!!

It's funny that you mention it going to June last year. I can remember when the cruise lines big blitz was called Wave "WEEK".

It's funny that you mention it going to June last year. I can remember when the cruise lines big blitz was called Wave "WEEK".

It sure was! Some years it seems like the wave season starts out slower than others, but then picks up steam...this year it seems pretty on target!

Our Sunday Travel Section had something describing wave season, he called it a shoulder on the hurricane season just passed....I was curious, here is what I came up with.

Im trying to google the term. I came up with cruise critic who says its from January to March.

from CC

Why, suddenly, are we seeing so many deals from so many different purveyors -- just now? January through March is what's known in industry parlance as peak booking, or wave season. It's an annual tradition, always occurring right after the turn of the new year. The psychology runs like this: now that you've survived that first week back at work (and your festive season holiday, alas, is long behind you) it's time to plan the next trip, whether it takes place next month or later this year.

It's Cruise Wave Season again;

that three-month period from January-March when record numbers of cruises

are booked by winter-weary individuals in search of some high seas R&R.

Archived