Appropriate Tour Guide tip amount per person?

uromac

Hi Everyone!

I haven't seen this question asked and if it has I'm sorry, but how much does one tip a guide on a privately booked European tour? So far we have booked Marcello & Co... for our tour in Naples, Sylvie in Villefranche, and Daniele in Rome. Our question is - What is the appropriate tip amount per person you feel should be given for a private tour guide in each country. I know that depending on the type and length of the tour, the tour's country and it's cost of living, how well he/she performs as a guide will change the amount, but we are interested in a ballpark figure.

So with that in mind, what tips have you personally given to your guides during your cruises and what are the going rates for Italian, French, Greek, Spanish, and Maltese tour guides.

I know from the guides we have chosen we will all have an excellent time with them and I would like to show our appreciation accordingly.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Melissa [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I saw in a tipping article that local guides in major European cities are normally tipped 1-2 euros per person and there is a cultural significance to using coins to pay a tip.

Janet

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;14;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

1-2 euros per person might be OK for a bus tour, but I pretty much used the 10%-15%; which based on our group size worked out to $10-$15 per person. I probably didn't have to tip that much or tip anything at all, but I wanted to show my appreciation for the wonderful tours we were given.

Mike

See our reviews and pictures at [url="http://www.thepreismans.com/"]Mike and Carol's Website[/url]

Costa Classica 3/94
Celebrity Mercury 4/98
Carnival Destiny 4/99
Crown Princess 7/01
Norwegian Star 11/01
Grand Princess 12/01
Sun Princess 3/02
Celebrity Constellation 11/02
Brilliance of the Seas 6/03
Navigator of the Seas 11/03
Jewel of the Seas 06/04
Tahitian Princess 02/05