teens not interested in kids program??

tk0016

My son (16) and daughter (13) have already voiced their opinion about joining the kids program on our cruise in March on the Navigator of the Seas. I thought for sure my daughter would be excited to do it, but they both asked if it was okay if they just hang out with me and their step-father. This will be our first and only family cruise/vacation. I have no problem at all with them hanging with us... but will this be a problem to the crew or other passengers?? I can't see why it would be, but you never know!

Shouldn't be a problem for crew or other pax unless you are "hanging out" in an adult-only area.

Have both kids check out the first night at the teen club (don't call it a kid's club!) as it is a good opportunity for them to meet other kids their age. Typcially if they do, you'll not see them the rest of the cruise! They may not be participating in the teen club's activities, but they probably will have more fun with other kids their age than with you, DSF and their sibling.

If they do want to hang with newly found friends, be certain to lay down some guidelines as to expectations for behavior so that they have an "out" if one of the other kids wants to do something that they should not be doing.

I think it's great that your kids want to hang out with you!! I do think you should encourage them to at least give it a try, though. The programs aren't for everyone, but if they don't even check it out, they might miss out on some great fun and friends. See if you can talk them into going just for the first night. They'll get to meet some other kids their own age, as well as getting the schedule of events for the week, and then they can pick and choose what they might like to do. I'm only suggesting it because I think they could meet some great kids or find some fun that might not otherwise be available on the regular schedule. Nobody will bat an eye if they just stay with you the whole time, though. As I said, I think it's wonderful that they want to!! :)

My son (15) said the same exact thing on his first cruise last July.(conquest) I talked him into going to the teen club the first night-then never saw him again-LOL! He did sleep in on the sea days and would come hang out with us during the day. He never did any activities with his age group during the day. After dinner every night he was gone. He had a blast and still keeps in contact with some of the friends he made. They may change their minds once they get on the ship.

My son (15) said the same exact thing on his first cruise last July.(conquest) I talked him into going to the teen club the first night-then never saw him again-LOL! He did sleep in on the sea days and would come hang out with us during the day. He never did any activities with his age group during the day. After dinner every night he was gone. He had a blast and still keeps in contact with some of the friends he made. They may change their minds once they get on the ship.

I so agree with you. My boys 12 and 14 went to the teen meet and mingle the first night and that was that. Every night they were gone having a blast. They stiil keep in touch with their cruise friends! They can nt wait to cruise again in Sept.

My kids never went to the kids events. I think my DS was 8 the last one he did. They've both been on 14 cruises and are now adults but the best time for them was seeing the shows, hanging out with family and friends in our group. We always went on shore excursions together and they simply didn't want to do the "kid stuff". No problems, I loved doing things with my kids. They will be allowed to play Bingo (and if they win you have to go up with them to claim it ....wink wink.... since they can't gamble. They went to the movies, learned how to fold napkins, kitchen tours, dance lessons... well you get the picture. When my son went on his honeymoon to Italy he had opera music blaring. I asked when he started liking opera music and he looked at me like I was crazy... "mom, you've been exposing me to opera since I was 8 years old".... oh ya, Phantom of the Opera, Evita, all the dance and song numbers. :rolleyes:

my 10 yr old dd loved the kid club...only saw her at meal times and bedtime. My 14 yr old dd tried out the teen/kid area and thought she was too old for it. She did the scavenger hunt the first day and a few things here and there...but mostly she hung out with me and my mil. My dh and his Dad were in the cigar club in the eves together.. so my 14 dd went to the shows with me and my mil...she had a lot of fun w/ us.

have the kids check out the kid/teen areas...they may be surprised!

Yeah, it's the checking out that's important. Thanks to a tip I got on here, I took a highlighter with me, so after we went to the Kid's Crew and registered and they gave us the schedule, we went over it and highlighted the activities that she wanted to participate in. It wasn't everything, but there were some she really wanted to do - a few of which were family activities, like the pizza making.

By going the first evening and meeting the other kids and seeing the schedule, the worst thing that can happen is that they will decide they're not interested in any of it and they'll have spent a few hours (or less) investigating on an evening when not much is usually happening anyway. On the other hand, they might meet a lifelong friend. :) (and of course there are a multitude of 'in betweens')

My kids of 12 and 14 stayed with us also. Unfortunately there weren't many kids on board and the teens there seemed much older than my daughter. One activity i noticed in the disco area involved girls each shaving a separate boy with a plastic replica blade - this was a race by the looks of it! My daughter looked on in horror!! I would have loved them to have fun with kids ther age but it was not to be, however they told me they still enjoyed themselves-which is great news!

I think the diversity on this thread regarding what kids have and haven't enjoyed is the best example of why checking it out is important. Even with the same child, every cruise will be different. On our cruise last year, our daughter spent almost no time at all in the kids' program, but on our most recent one, she spent at least part of every day/evening there. Interestingly, after last year's experience, she wasn't going to go the first evening and I talked her into it. This time it was a completely different experience. I think the activities are important, but the most important thing is the mix of kids and counsellors.

Archived