Insurance ?

sandymac

Hi Everyone,

This is our second cruise. For our first we didn't take out insurance. However, my MIL has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and it is progressing very rapidly. Our cruise is scheduled for April 20, and I want to take out insurance just in case we need to cancel.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can purchase insurance from?

Thanks for all your help,

Sandy

Hi Everyone,

This is our second cruise. For our first we didn't take out insurance. However, my MIL has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and it is progressing very rapidly. Our cruise is scheduled for April 20, and I want to take out insurance just in case we need to cancel.

Sandy

Too late.

The documentation you will need to prove you or she did not know prior to the date you purchased it,will do you in.

You are out of luck using her as a reason to cancel whether it be her surgery or death.

This is one of the reason for getting the insurance when you booked the cruise,not after you think you might need it.

Sorry if I seem harsh.

Hi Everyone,

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry about your MIL.

I'd be surprised if you find a policy to cover you because your MIL won't be Medically Stable:

" If a pre-existing condition exists, then it has to be "medically stable". This means that the person with that pre-existing condition hasn't already taken a turn for the worse. Medically Stable also means that no medical condition is known, foreseen or expected to "take a turn for the worse". And the person must be able to travel when they buy the insurance. "

I hope this helps you.

Hey Sandymac, I haven't seen you on our thread for a while. So sorry to hear about your MIL. I have also looked into insurance for our cruise, I only used it once before. Anyway, my MIL is not in good health either, and I found some very inexpensive insurance, I found it thorough CC I was searching for a while. It is about $150 for the three of us, it covers everything, baggage, missed flight, yada yada, but yes, AND I ASKED, it will not cover a pre-existing condition for you or your immediate family unfortunately. If you are still interested I'll send you the link tomorrow, I have it on my work computer. I'll say a prayer for your MIL. Talk to you soon, NY Linda

Have you made final payment yet? If not you might want to consider adding CCL's insurance. Here's from their brochure:

"If, after purchasing the Cruise Vacation Protection Plan, you must

cancel your cruise vacation and you are denied a cash refund for

your trip cancellation due to a pre-existing condition, Carnival Cruise

Lines will instead provide You with a future cruise credit in the

amount of Your cancellation penalty."

A future cruise credit is better than nothing at all. But I would contact BerkleyCare directly to discuss your situation before spending any monry. They're at 800-331-2796.

Other than that, I don't see any way to get a third-party insurer to cover this.

Have you made final payment yet? If not you might want to consider adding CCL's insurance. Here's from their brochure:

"If, after purchasing the Cruise Vacation Protection Plan, you must

cancel your cruise vacation and you are denied a cash refund for

your trip cancellation due to a pre-existing condition, Carnival Cruise

Lines will instead provide You with a future cruise credit in the

amount of Your cancellation penalty."

A future cruise credit is better than nothing at all. But I would contact BerkleyCare directly to discuss your situation before spending any monry. They're at 800-331-2796.

Other than that, I don't see any way to get a third-party insurer to cover this.

Your info is wrong!CCLs policy would not cover it. If the condition was there 60 days prior to purchasing the policy,not the sailing date it would not be covered.

This is the reason that you need to purchase when you put the deposit down on the cruise.There is no company that will sell to you after the fact. The OP is screwed,simple as that.

Its like knowing a hurricain is coming so you then go out and buy homeowners insurance.That is why they have a 30 day wait here in FL.

Your info is wrong!

You're absolutely right. I just got off the phone with BerkleyCare's CCL help desk and gave them the scenario the OP is concerned with. As it turns out, they told me that she wouldn't have to even worry about the future cruise credit, she would be able to file a claim for a full cash refund.

The reason is that CCL's plan does not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members. So, if the OP buys a policy prior to the final payment date and has to cancel because her mother's situation becomes worse the claim would be paid whether or not the cancer was pre-existing or not. The pre-existing condition exclusion would not be considered. All that matters is that at the time of the cancellation the mother's condition was serious enough that it was necessary to cancel the trip. The furure cruise credit would only apply if someone in the traveling party has to cancel for a pre-existing condition.

Again, strongly I urge the OP to call BerkleyCare at 800-331-2796 and discuss it with them as I obviously did not have all of the pertinent info and may not have asked the right questions.

You're absolutely right. I just got off the phone with BerkleyCare's CCL help desk and gave them the scenario the OP is concerned with. As it turns out, they told me that she wouldn't have to even worry about the future cruise credit, she would be able to file a claim for a full cash refund.

The reason is that CCL's plan does not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members. So, if the OP buys a policy prior to the final payment date and has to cancel because her mother's situation becomes worse the claim would be paid whether or not the cancer was pre-existing or not. The pre-existing condition exclusion would not be considered. All that matters is that at the time of the cancellation the mother's condition was serious enough that it was necessary to cancel the trip. The furure cruise credit would only apply if someone in the traveling party has to cancel for a pre-existing condition.

Again, strongly I urge the OP to call BerkleyCare at 800-331-2796 and discuss it with them as I obviously did not have all of the pertinent info and may not have asked the right questions.

Thats a decent explanation,not bad.

The doctor of the mother will have to sign off that the condition could result in death or immediate surgery in the time frame that the cruise is.

Make sure that you get that form signed first,before not taking the cruise.

Thank you for all your replies. When I posted the question, it didn't even occur to me that pre-existing conditions would apply to non-traveling family members.

Cruiseco, thank you so much for making that call - that was very considerate. I will defintely call BerkleyCare tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone,

Sandy

Archived