Biobay Tour close to full moon

kenseycat

I was wondering if anyone has taken the biobay tour close to the full moon and how was your experience. We are going to be in San Juan about 2-3 days before the full moon. One of the tour companies we contacted isn't even going to have a tour the day we are there because of the amount of moonlight. I really want to go out to the bay but I want to be able to see the bioluminesence.

Thanks, Barb

This past July I went to Vieques and our group wanted to see the biobay. My concern was the same as yours. We actually ended up going I think 2 days before or after the full moon. Anyways, we didn't have a problem. We enjoyed it so much!!!!:) It's a wonderfull experienced that shouldn't be missed. Now, I don't know how bright the bay in Fajardo is, but the one in Vieques is the brightest in the world, so I think that even with a full moon you would still enjoy it. Hope this helped. Have a great time in PR!!!! :D

Kenseycat,

Don't miss the BioBay! It looks like you will be in PR on April 13 - is that correct? If you go to Biobay.com, you can see a moon calendar. We did the trip on 12-22-07 - considerable moon that night. It was still great and you could definately still see the glowing. We've done the biobay many times, most when there was very little moon, so I thought we may be disappointed. We were NOT, it was as amazing as ever!

Well,it looks like the moon will rise early about April 12-16th, so you may have difficulty seeing a lot of it. Check the moon rise calender to make sure of the dates you will be here. It may be a full moon, but if it rises after 8pm, you won't have a problem at all.

Some of the kayak companies that go during these moon phases will put up a tarp over the kayaks so you can better.

I think it is all in your expectations. I have reviewed my experience at the Fajardo BioBay, so you can have a real idea of what you will see. I hate the pictures these companies put on their websites of green florescent water. It is not like that.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/04/07/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

It is kind of expensive, and you might not see it as well as if you were to go at another time. You have to decide if it will be worth the money.

Archived