Harwich to London

bdruzin

To one of the airports or to the City? That is critical piece of info. Best place to get up to date info is on tripadvisor.com forums.........In brief, trip to airport best done in private car. Trip to city on train and then tube/taxi to hotel. Go to bahn.de and click on the English version in upper right hand of home page - best resource for researching European train travel.

Any suggestions on easy transportation from Harwich after our cruise finishes to London?

Betty,

First off, we sort of priced it out...

Celebrity is selling "transfers" to Victoria Coach Station for $85 per person. This should be a bus picking us up right from the ship. From Victoria Coach Station, it should be a short taxi ride to whatever hotel...(approx. 5 miles)

There is also a train station directly adjacent to the pier...A second class train ticket, assuming no fare increases between now and August 2, costs £25 per person...approximately $50 (first class is £40). This would take you to Liverpool Street Station and you'd need a short taxi ride from there (approx 2-3 miles)

Hired cars or taxis would be the most expensive and there are several websites I checked out...About £165 and up (approx. $330) for the trip regardless of the number of people...

However, your question was the "easiest" way...

The easiest would be the taxi or car service...since it could pick you up directly from the ship and bring you directly to your hotel ...all on your schedule...of course, it's also the most expensive...

The train is the cheapest, but it requires two legs (train and taxi or other transportation for the shorter leg) and you can only leave the port when the train leaves, you are dependant on THEIR schedule...OTOH, the train doesn't get held up in London traffic...

We're going to go with the Celebrity bus--sort of the chicken way out...The price is cemented in US $...and we know they'll take us right off the ship...

Note: There is also a bus company, National Express, but I wasn't able to locate a schedule/fares that included Harwich to London.

I sent National Express an e-mail and this was the response:

Unfortunately, we do not go to Harwich. You would be best advised to

take a coach to Colchester, leaving London at 1130, 1530 or 1900. The

journey takes between two and three hours. You would then need to take a

local bus to Harwich.

Regards

National Express

We will be in London 1 day before our cruise and we are planning to take the train to the ship. On the way back - It will not really be a great savings of time or money to take the train/tube to Heathrow, so we are planning either to take the ship's transportation or hire a driver and try to get 12 people together. I found a company that will take 12 people for £300.

Any suggestions on easy transportation from Harwich after our cruise finishes to London?

Our driver was Darren Parsons of Adelphi Executive Hire http://www.adelphiexecutivehire.co.uk/. Not only did he arrive early for both the LHR to Harwich and return trips, but he provided us with a safe, comfortable trip and enjoyable company along the way. All this at a more reasonable cost than the four of us would have paid for the RCCL bus.

Other "cruise critics" have also used his services since I first posted (July '06) and have also been quite happy. Give him an email.

I was born in Harwich and have been there many times.

There is a train station right in the cruise terminal (formally known as Harwich Parkeston Quay, but now know as just Harwich International I think).

Trains run frequently to both Manningtree with connections to London, as well as some direct services.

The train is by far the easiest way to get into London - don't even think about National Express / bus. It's also a lot cheaper than CEL transfers. And probably faster too... traffic in London can be horrendous.

As has already been mentioned, trains get into Liverpool Street station in the City. Tubes run every 2 or 3 minutes to Kings Cross station which is just a few stops.

Let the train take the strain!

You can buy tickets ahead of time and get train times at thetrainline(dot)com I think.

I contacted the company listed in Post #6 and we are booked with him for the trip from Harwich to Heathrow. Darren Parsons was a pleasure to deal with. The cost for four of us will be less than the cost of Celebrity transfers. We will be picked up at the arrivals lounge at the pier and be brought directly to our ailine at Heathrow. I am so grateful for the wonderful informatioin I have found on these boards.

If you are taking the train, there will be no one to assist with luggage and there are likely to be numerous stairs to climb with your bags. If you have to change trains en route, be sure to be ready to hop off the train as soon as it gets to the station as it will not wait for you to get organized! The train is easy but burdensome. Be careful when you leave the train station and look the opposite way before you step out in the street!

Archived