Brand new here, need help with cruising with a 3 yr old.

Raven1977

Hi,

I'm new to this board. I've been on a few cruises (RCCL and Carnival) with just my husband but I am looking to take our 3 yr old son on a cruise but don't know if he will like it or not. We have taken him on a couple of land based vacations though. We are looking into Carnival again. Haven't decided on the ship or itinerary yet though. Can anyone tell me how their children's program is and just how it is in general cruising with a 3 yr old. I'm kind of nervous that he won't like it. What if the seas are rough? How does a little boy of that age handle it? I remember on one of my cruises where the seas were rough. Thankfully I don't get seasick but I'm worried about my son.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

There is a really long thread here on Camp carnival that has some great info in it.

In short, 3 is a great time to cruise. He can go to camp carnival. He can go to the pool (if he is potty trained). And what's not to love? He'll get to go to the beach? Maybe swim with some dolphins. Be on a "big boat" as my 3 year old says.

As far as getting sick. It's not out of the realm of possibility but it is rare that kids get sea sickness. Think about how kids can spin round and round in circles or ride rides that would make us sick (MerryGoRound)...but they think is fun. If nothing else makes him sick then he'll be fine.

We've gone with friends who have kids that do get car sickness ALOT...but never got sick on the ship.

Hi Crusinmama, thank you for your reply. Yes, he is potty trained and does love the water.

What do they do in Camp Carnival? Do they break the kids up in age groups?

Also, can you tell me about the food for kids? Is there a wide variety. He is kind of a picky eater.

Thanks.

Hi Crusinmama, thank you for your reply. Yes, he is potty trained and does love the water.

What do they do in Camp Carnival? Do they break the kids up in age groups?

Also, can you tell me about the food for kids? Is there a wide variety. He is kind of a picky eater.

Thanks.

Some of the schedules for Camp Carnival are uploaded

here...My youngest loved the bubble dance parties. What little kid doesn't like bubbles.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Camp%20Carnival%20Capers/

He will be in the 2-5 year old group. So yes they do divide the ages up. You will be given a pager for the week. You will be paged if they need you while he is there.

Here is the Kids menu BUT - HE CAN HAVE WHATEVER HIS LITTLE HEART DESIRES. :D They were really good about bringing my kids what they wanted. If he likes noodles, he gets noodles. If he wants steak and shrimp off the adult menu...then that's what he gets ;)

CarnivalKidsMenu.jpg

I think he will have a great time. He absolutely loves bubbles. He begs me to let him blow them in the house when its cold outside but I won't let him....LOL Bubbles are for outside in this family....heheheh

I did love the food on Carnival but since it was only my husband and I, I didn't think that they would have food that kids would actually like. I never knew that they had a kids menu. That menu looks perfect. He loves nuggets, pizza and fries. Typical kid food. Is that the kids lunch menu in the dining room also? For breakfast my son seems to be on a jelly omlette kick. He loves jelly omlettes. Do they make those? I guess I can request a plain omlette and add my own jelly.

Thanks Cruisinmama, you have been quite helpful. Can you answer another question for me though. About the cabins. How does a cabin for 3 work. on Carnival there was a couch in the room but I really didn't pay attention if it opened up into a bed or not because it was just hubby and I. Does the couch open up, do you know?

I think he will have a great time. He absolutely loves bubbles. He begs me to let him blow them in the house when its cold outside but I won't let him....LOL Bubbles are for outside in this family....heheheh

I did love the food on Carnival but since it was only my husband and I, I didn't think that they would have food that kids would actually like. I never knew that they had a kids menu. That menu looks perfect. He loves nuggets, pizza and fries. Typical kid food. Is that the kids lunch menu in the dining room also? For breakfast my son seems to be on a jelly omlette kick. He loves jelly omlettes. Do they make those? I guess I can request a plain omlette and add my own jelly.

Thanks Cruisinmama, you have been quite helpful. Can you answer another question for me though. About the cabins. How does a cabin for 3 work. on Carnival there was a couch in the room but I really didn't pay attention if it opened up into a bed or not because it was just hubby and I. Does the couch open up, do you know?

You know I can't remember if they give that menu for lunch too but I am betting they do. If all else fails then just eat lunch at the Lido Deck buffet. You know they have all of those things there.

A jelly omlet? I won't ask...lol. But yes they have the omlet station and you could add jelly.

It depends on the ship. Some couches are just couches on some ships. And some couches convert. We had a Cat12 Penthouse on Sensation and that sofa converted into a queen sized bed. With a child that young, I have seen parents simply add blankets/sheets to the couch and make it a bed.

With his age you would want to make sure they don't put him in a "pullman" bed. It's the top bunk over the queen sized bed. I would make sure you are in a cabin that can accomodate another bed or you can make up the couch.

As far as the ship...some Carnival ships have the new "Waterworks"...it's like a mini water park for kids. And if you wanted to look into another cruiseline, take a look at RCCL Freedom ships. Once my kids did that, they didn't want to do anything else.

www.freedomoftheseas.com

You know I can't remember if they give that menu for lunch too but I am betting they do. If all else fails then just eat lunch at the Lido Deck buffet. You know they have all of those things there.

A jelly omlet? I won't ask...lol. But yes they have the omlet station and you could add jelly.

It depends on the ship. Some couches are just couches on some ships. And some couches convert. We had a Cat12 Penthouse on Sensation and that sofa converted into a queen sized bed. With a child that young, I have seen parents simply add blankets/sheets to the couch and make it a bed.

With his age you would want to make sure they don't put him in a "pullman" bed. It's the top bunk over the queen sized bed. I would make sure you are in a cabin that can accomodate another bed or you can make up the couch.

As far as the ship...some Carnival ships have the new "Waterworks"...it's like a mini water park for kids. And if you wanted to look into another cruiseline, take a look at RCCL Freedom ships. Once my kids did that, they didn't want to do anything else.

www.freedomoftheseas.com

Yeah we would probably take him to the lido for lunch. I think it would be better for him at lunchtime anyway.

Jelly omlettes are quite good actually. They are just plain omlettes with jelly in them. He loves them. :D

The ship we are looking into is the Carnival Legend which we have been on before and there is a couch in the balcony cabins but it didn't open up, it had drawers underneath. Although it definitely would be a perfect size for him so the steward can just put blankets and sheets on it. Nope, we wouldn't put him in one of those pullmen bunk beds. He's too little. although in a few years, he would absolutely love that.

Thanks for your help.

Shyness

If your child hasn't been in daycare- he may be a bit apprehensive about the youth program. If he is apprehensive- the day of embarkation they usually give parents the opportunity to explore the youth program with the kids and this allows them to try it out with Mom and Dad there.

Motion

Look at where the youth program is located on board. On Carnival Victory, for example- the youth program is at the bow and high up. The children will feel motion there.

Don't travel at holidays or summer

The first cruise I did with my son where he was old enough to do the youth program was Carnival and we both had a great time.

I would recommend traveling at off peak times- so that your child gets more one-on-one attention from the staff. If the kids playroom is a zoo this can be scarey to little ones.

Best cruise line for kids 3-6

Celebrity is my favorite for the youth program. It is well run, the staff is friendly and attentive and well trained. The play areas for the 3-6 have lots of hands on activities, a ball pit and slide, arts and crafts and science. They are thoroughly entertained. Dinner meals are offered for $ 6.00 at 6PM- so you and your husband can dine alone if you want to.

Shyness

If your child hasn't been in daycare- he may be a bit apprehensive about the youth program. If he is apprehensive- the day of embarkation they usually give parents the opportunity to explore the youth program with the kids and this allows them to try it out with Mom and Dad there.

Motion

Look at where the youth program is located on board. On Carnival Victory, for example- the youth program is at the bow and high up. The children will feel motion there.

Don't travel at holidays or summer

The first cruise I did with my son where he was old enough to do the youth program was Carnival and we both had a great time.

I would recommend traveling at off peak times- so that your child gets more one-on-one attention from the staff. If the kids playroom is a zoo this can be scarey to little ones.

Best cruise line for kids 3-6

Celebrity is my favorite for the youth program. It is well run, the staff is friendly and attentive and well trained. The play areas for the 3-6 have lots of hands on activities, a ball pit and slide, arts and crafts and science. They are thoroughly entertained. Dinner meals are offered for $ 6.00 at 6PM- so you and your husband can dine alone if you want to.

My son isn't shy but he doesn't go to daycare, but does go to preschool 3 times a week. We have an au pair that lives with us who watches him when we are working. I think he would do fine in the camp.

According to the deck plans of the Carnival Legend the Camp is in the front of the ship. Hopefully the seas won't be too rough.

I never even thought of looking into Celebrity because I didn't think that they catered to young kids. Do you happen to have a kids menu for Celebrity? Probably would be the same type like Carnival has though that Cruisinmama posted.

What are the hours of the camp on Celebrity? Do you know if Celebrity has any specialty restaurants? The Legend has one called The Golden Fleece which was just wonderful.

Thanks for the tips on Celebrity. I will have to look into them as well.

Celebrity hours are 9-1AM everyday. On Millenium class ships and Galaxy it is located aft. On Mercury and Century it is lower and closer to midship. My son did get queasy in the Fun Factory once- while sailing down the Atlantic out of Bayonne. It was rough and I felt queasy so went up to the Fun Factory and he was really pale. Caribbean cruises originating from Florida or San Juan won't be rough though.

The ask you to pick up your child sometime between 12-2 on sea days for lunch. The Fun Factory stays open during this time but the youth staff does not take them to lunch- so parents must come sometime between 12 and 2 to take them to lunch (for example if you pick them up at 12 noon- they can return after they eat).

If they have dinner with the youth staff (at 6PM) there is a $ 6 per child charge.

On port days- they will take the kids to lunch at some point between 12-2. So if you are off the ship on an excursion you don't have to race back to take them to lunch. There is a nominal fee (I believe $ 6 )

After 10PM there is a $ 6 per hour fee. The Fun Factory closes at 1AM.

There is a wonderful specialty restaurant on Celebrity. I know it is called the Olympic on the Millenium but it has a different name on each ship. I am not sure if they have them on the smaller ships like Century, Mercury and Galaxy. The do on the Millenium class ships- Summit, Constellation, Infinity and Millenium. It was a fantastic dining experience and well worth the $ 30 surcharge.

Archived