Imagination Thread Only!

mikil321

OK. I'd like to ask a few last minute quetions before we leave for Florida this weekend.

No hairdryers on Imagination (we have an inside room). Correct?

There is an iron in the laundry room. Correct?

We got our cruise documents yesterday and it says "Second seating 6:15" I thought there were only 2 seatings. Will we actually eat at 6:15 or will we get reassigned?

Soda cards are $5 per person per day. Can I get soda at dinner with the card? Can I get shirley temples at the pool bar with the card?

Ack! I'm starting to freak out because I'm not packed yet. We are trying to do only carry-ons this trip since we are flying American and the extra baggage fee for 4 of us would be too much! We are only going to check one garment bag with our formal clothes and evening dinner dresses.

Maggie

OK. I'd like to ask a few last minute quetions before we leave for Florida this weekend.

No hairdryers on Imagination (we have an inside room). Correct?

There is an iron in the laundry room. Correct?

We got our cruise documents yesterday and it says "Second seating 6:15" I thought there were only 2 seatings. Will we actually eat at 6:15 or will we get reassigned?

Soda cards are $5 per person per day. Can I get soda at dinner with the card? Can I get shirley temples at the pool bar with the card?

Ack! I'm starting to freak out because I'm not packed yet. We are trying to do only carry-ons this trip since we are flying American and the extra baggage fee for 4 of us would be too much! We are only going to check one garment bag with our formal clothes and evening dinner dresses.

Maggie

There are no hairdryers in the rooms. (I brought my own.) I'm not sure about the iron because I didn't need one.

Your docs say 6:15 because that is the time you requested. However, there are now only 2 dinner times. 6:00 and 8:15. You may not get the 6:00 seating, it depends on how many people requested it. ( I asked for the 8:15 seating, and got the 6:00.)

I believe the soda cards are $5/day per child. I think they are $7/day for adults. Yu can get soda at dinner with the card. You also can shirley temples with the card.

It's a great idea to just check in the garment bag. Put everything else in the carry-ons and you should be fine! Come back and tell us all about it!

Maggie

Let me know how that American per bag charge applies, because we might look into doing something similar. We're flying with American for our October cruise out of Miami - every buck we can save is one more we can spend someplace else.;)

Let me know how that American per bag charge applies, because we might look into doing something similar. We're flying with American for our October cruise out of Miami - every buck we can save is one more we can spend someplace else.;)

Is American 'grandfathering' people who bought tickets prior to when the baggage surcharges took affect?

We are flying Continental, purchased our tickets back in October for this August, and we do not have to pay any baggage surcharges on up to two bags per person (confirmed that directly with Continental).

OK. Another question. When we were on Royal Caribbean, they had a little clothesline in the shower. Does the Imagination have something similar? I'm packing right now and trying to decide if I should pack a couple clothespins to hang the swimsuits up to dry.

Thanks,

Maggie

Is American 'grandfathering' people who bought tickets prior to when the baggage surcharges took affect?

We are flying Continental, purchased our tickets back in October for this August, and we do not have to pay any baggage surcharges on up to two bags per person (confirmed that directly with Continental).

I'm not sure about American grandfathering people. We bought our tickets recently, after the deadline, so we wouldn't qualify anyway.

Maggie

My family (single parent with 10, 12, 13 and 15) just came back from Imagination this week. This was out 8th cruise; 7th with Carnival and first time on this ship.

Postives

The $55million refurbishment seems to be mostly in the new water slides area, miniture golf course course, Serenity adult only deck and reworking the Lido deck to put in a permanent stage where the old water slide had been. These were all good...Serenity was a great place to chill in ultra comfortable and padded lounge chairs without screaming and commotion (as much as we love our kids, quiet time is also awesome sometimes!) Lines weren't usually too long for the slides.

Cruise Director Jorge Solano was the best cruise director I can remember. He was understated (some are like used cars salesmen, constantly in your face it seems), relying on his staff to MC many of the events and just plain hilarious. He apparently was a standup comic for many years, and you can tell. He was a real pleasure who added to the experience without overkill.

The captain proactively reversed our itinerary before we left Miami to go to Jamaica first because of a tropical depression. As a result, instead of stormy weather, it was 5 days of sunshine. I appreciated that.

Embarkation and disembarkation was smooth and relatively quick.

The Lido deck pool is now open until midnight; great to swim at night during deck parties and if you don't want to fry in crowded water during the day.

Negatives

Both male and female lead singers in the shows were surprisingly very weak vocalists. My kids (probably after years of American Idol) noticed it right away. Usually Carnival has some dynamic, blow-it-out, performers, but these guys were really so-so and a bit of a disappointment.

Our cabin was 2 floors directly below the Spirit dining room in the aft of the ship. The booked us for dinner in the Pride dining room in the front of the ship. We requested to be moved to the dining room right by our stateroom. The matre'd said he'd look into it and they did not end up moving us. That made no sense, being booked into the other dining room in the first place.

Some of the fun shows (Match game, game show night. etc.) have only one show and its during the late seating dining. Also the final show (Carnival Legends) had only one performance, and most seats were gone by the time were left the dining room from dinner and went straight to the Dynasty Lounge. I have to think the lounge holds maybe 500 tops and with 2600 guests on board, I wouldn't only do 1 show on the last night on board. People were sitting in the aisles, on the window sills and alot of other disgruntled people complained and just left.

The menu is getting tired if you have traveled on Carnival in the past. I think its time for us to move on to another cruise line, as it doesn't seem like the menu ever changes year to year (I know there are only so many things you can cook to eat, but mix it up some...we can pretty much tell you which appetizers and entrees come together on which nights). Food in the Horizon buffet line was always so-so, but the sandwich station is still great. On our particular sailing there were always long lines everywhere...for sandwiches, for pizza, for hamburgers....there never seemed to be a short wait for anything.

Overall it was a decent trip, probably not one of our favorites on Carnival, but still a good vacation. The highlight of our trip was booking directly with Marks Tours in Ochos Rios for our excursion (it was the best tour ever and cheaper than a Carnival excursion). The kids are still talking about Mark and how they hope to go back one day and see him again. Here is his website if you are interested: http://www.markstours.com/home.html

We did the Dunn's Falls/River tubing tour and it was the best part of the trip.

OK. Another question. When we were on Royal Caribbean, they had a little clothesline in the shower. Does the Imagination have something similar? I'm packing right now and trying to decide if I should pack a couple clothespins to hang the swimsuits up to dry.

Thanks,

Maggie

Yes, there is a clothesline in the shower. Definitley pack some clothespins. It will make it easier to hang more things up to dry!

Took me a couple days to catch up on this thread, but all great info!!!

We are leaving in Oct. so have plenty of time to get more info, keep it coming!!

Mom2girls - clothes pins, great idea!!!

Has anyone used the airline transfers?? We are flying into FLL and the plane arrives at 10. Anyone have pros and cons? Of all the times we've cruised, this is the first time for a transfer.

Price of the drinks in the logo cups still $6? I also can't remember if you use the same logo cup over if the price is cheaper.

My daughter thought she read that you can bring your own wine on-board, but not what I'm reading on the boards - anyone??

thanks for all the help!!

Took me a couple days to catch up on this thread, but all great info!!!

We are leaving in Oct. so have plenty of time to get more info, keep it coming!!

Mom2girls - clothes pins, great idea!!!

Has anyone used the airline transfers?? We are flying into FLL and the plane arrives at 10. Anyone have pros and cons? Of all the times we've cruised, this is the first time for a transfer.

Price of the drinks in the logo cups still $6? I also can't remember if you use the same logo cup over if the price is cheaper.

My daughter thought she read that you can bring your own wine on-board, but not what I'm reading on the boards - anyone??

thanks for all the help!!

Sorry, I don't know anything about the transfers. I always drive to the ports.

The Souvenir cups went up in price. I can't remember what the price was, but it wasn't too bad. Yes, you can get a discount price if you get a refill in the same glass. (Sometimes they give you a new glass.) But, you can order the DOD in a regular glass for $3.95.

Yes, you can bring wine on board. One bottle is allowed per person who is 21 years old and older. I always bring wine with me.

I sailed on the Imagination in Dec 07. The ship was wonderful, this was second cruise with carnival, my 1st on the Imagination. The boat was nice and the entertainment and cruise director(jorge) were great.

We did the Bamboo Beach Club in ocho rios as an excursion and the food was delicious along with the unlimited rum punch! lol

Have fun

• 4 weeks later...

Just got home Thursday from Imagination -- Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman. Had a wonderful time -- traveled with DH, DD age 7, DS age 4, and our best friends and their DDs ages 8 & 3.

Any burning questions you need answered? I will post a review ASAP... once I get all this laundry done!!!!!!!!

--Meg

Off on the Imagination tomorrow!

Will (hopefully) have a *Live From The Imagination* report going.

Finally! The day has finally come. Looks like a little stormy weather on its way for Miami though? Weather has been changing the last few days but looks promising in the Eastern Carribean, Grand Turk, half Moon Cay and nassua.Sure we will be fine out there.If not I have a back up plan VEGAS BABY!!!! Right after the Cruise.Im sure theres 100 degrees waitng for us there! Anyway! I will take lots of pictures and post my review when I return.See yah there FlashBackAlternatives Have a Great time Mikil

I leave Thursday and I will be sure to get the capers for each day and take a picture of the menu every night at dinner.......can anyone think of anything else I should watch out for and bring back?

Yes, can you find out who is current piano entertainer and when you walk by see if he/she is any good?

Archived