Looking for cruise ideas

MoneyGuy

My wife and I cruise a fair amount but my sisters don't. We're planning a cruise together winter of 2008-09 and I'm looking for ideas. We live in

Western Canada and money is not a problem for the missus and me but my siblings are budget conscious. We want some nice ports of call.

I'm looking for ideas for a cruise of seven to 11 days that isn't terribly pricey. We've all been to the Caribbean but right now that's at the top of our list as an idea. Hawaii is an idea, but we've all been there, which I guess isn't a big deal but I'm not excited about cruising Hawaii again. My sisters are favouring the Caribbean while I'd like to do the Panama Canal.

What cruises do you recommend for us?

What cruise lines have you sailed on? If you enjoyed that line/those lines, then the first place I would start is by investigating their offerings.

What do they want to do? Tour, hang out on the beach, shop, party on the ship? If you go to the Caribbean you'll definitely be able to do the beach and shop ... but have you also considered Mexico?

I always pick itinerary first, then look at the different cruiselines & departure ports, then read the reviews of the ships. Given that you'll probably be flying from either Calgary or Edmonton, the departure port will be a consideration ($ and travel time). Check where West Jet flies to (i.e., San Diego, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale) - they have direct flights and they can have some decent fares when there is a sale.

We really like the Caribbean, mainly because the weather is generally pretty good and the water warm. We've done week-long sailings out of Port Canaveral (Orlando area) and love the Mariner. However we've also done 10-night out of Fort Lauderdale (Celebrity Constellation). It's pricier, and a bit more sedate - but you see some great ports.

So I guess I'm saying you probably need to talk to them a bit and find out their vacation goals, then do a bit more research here and possibly even talk to a travel agent.

Good luck!

Check out the cruise critic group cruises--sometimes they offer a great deal-and you dont have to pal around as a group--just jump onboard with good pricing.

My group is headed out on the Crown Princess February8 2009 for Valentines day,-pricing is below in my link

here is all the groups heading out-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

I'm someone that doesn't like to repeat the same vacation so I'd look for places you have not been. You didn't mention the Mexican Riviera. Thats always a great place to go and for a very reasonable price. There are 7 and 8 night ones from LA and San Diego. Panama would also be an interesting choice as well as some exotic western Caribbean cruises that go to places like Belize and Costa Rica. How about an exotic southern Caribbean cruise? If you are willing to go for more than 7 nights then a cruise could get you to places like Aruba, Antigua, and Barbados. If you go a little early or late in the winter season then you could possibly be able to do a Bermuda cruise. All of those options should be able to be accomplished on a fairly conservative budget. Obviously when you cruise more than 7 nights the price will be higher but nothing like several thousand per passenger.

Mexican Riviera or Panama Canal will have cheaper air fare if your sisters live in Western Canada also. Another idea might be Alaska in the summer so there will be little airfare.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will all have a lovely cruise with family. Have fun:)

Winnie

As far as price and satisfying your ports that interest you a repositioning cruise from LA to Miami would fit nicely. One problem is that they are in the late falll instead of the winter. But they hit the Mexican Riviera and the Panama Canal. Also Costa Rica and a stop or two in the Carib. A little longer than 11 days but if your plans are a little flexible this would be a good option.

Probably too long but the NCL Pearl sails out of Seattle on Sept 19 for a 19 day cruise. Stops at two place in the Mexican Riviera then thru the Panama Canal, Aruba and Curacao before stopping in Miami. Doesn't stop at Costa Rica which is nice but still a great trip. There's a couple other stops along the way I believe.

Royal Caribbean's 'Jewel of the Seas' offers an 11 nt. Panama Canal and Caribbean sailing in Dec. '08, and also Jan, Feb, and March '09 roundtrip from Miami. Two days at sea, Aruba, Columbia, at sea, Panama Canal/Panama, Costa Rica, at sea, Grand Cayman, at sea. Nice itinerary on a beautiful ship!

Archived