things you can not bring on a cruise?

nyc gal

No irons allowed. I belive if the ship has self laundry, they'll have one there. The electricity is your standard 110 or 120 volt, seeing that you're from NYC, it's like plugging something in at home. On average there's only one outlet in the cabin. Bring a small power bar to plug in more than one thing. Also on the Liberty the outlet was so close to the desk that my battery charger didn't fit. Let us know what ship you're going on to better help with advice.

You cannot bring irons onboard RCCL ships. You can bring a travel steamer. Or there is a pressing service available onboard.

Unless you are not from the US or Great Britain, then you do not need a converter for electrical items as they provide an American style electrical outlet and a British style outlet in all staterooms.

And for exactly what you can't bring onboard, this is from RCCL's website:

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Aside from the obvious (and illegal) items not allowed onboard, there are other items we cannot accommodate onboard.

Prohibited items: Candles, Coffee Makers, Electrical Transformers, Flammable Liquids and Explosives (such as fireworks), HAM radio equipment, Hockey sticks, Illegal Drugs, Irons, Personal Alcohol, Skateboards, Surfboards

Actually, I thought I'd read where transformers weren't allowed, either! (That means no phone chargers, no laptop chargers, etc...)

These rules make NO SENSE!!!!!!

I wonder if the are referring to a larger/more powerful type of transformer. The small ones for phones and laptops don't drain much power. Anyway, we always have our iPod and phone chargers plugged in, and even in our carry-on luggage and no one has said a word. Actually, last weekend I had them in my purse ~ which would have been easy to spot in security ~ and no one said a word.

Look for the "frequently asked questions " page of your cruise lines web site. They will have a list of the prohibited items.

While I'm certain that the list of prohibited items has many similarities from line to line, there may be pecularities for your particular line...

Archived