Exactly how "bad" is the food?

upstateny39

I'm new here, and looking for some information before I book our 10th anniversary cruise (first cruise for DH...third for me, but first in 15 years). We're looking at the Dawn to Bermuda in August, but I'm concerned about all the generally negative reviews I keep reading about the food on NCL (and I see similar things about Carnival and RCCL!). So, when one says the food is "bad," what exactly does that mean? I understand dining preferences are quite subjective, but I wonder if someone with some experience could give us some ideas of exactly what was bad (or good!) about the meals served? Is it that they are serving poor quality food, or is it just that the kinds of food served aren't to your liking? I'm also seeing negative comments about the reservations process...are people having difficulty just with the specialty restaurants? Thanks!!!:)

We've never thought the food bad on any cruise line. I'd say that NCL, for us, has good food in the main dining rooms and excellent food in the pay restaurants - which is where my disappointment falls. Carnival offers alot more seafood in its main restaurants than NCL and we love seafood. You have to pay a premium to eat what you get for 'free' (ok, already paid for). No giant grilled prawns on NCL like you get on Carnival.

And the steak served to us in the main dining room of the Spirit could not have been more than 3 oz. It was literally 1/4 in thick.

Let's all remember 2.0 is coming. Lobster to be offered 4-5 times during the week. I think NCL said it was rolling out 2.0 thru 2008. So I think good things are coming...

We didn't hate it. If we did we wouldn't be sailing the Spirit again, 1 week from tomorrow.

Kathy

On NCL Dawn, they have different kinds of restaurant, Of course you have the main dinnig room in which you have no table assignment, the mexicain restaurant, La trattoria were the serve Italian food, the grill besides the pool, and the breakfast buffet which are free of charge, or at least were in December 2005. You also have the French Bistro, the steakhouse, and the oriental restaurants for which you have a fixed rate that is 20, 25 and 15$ respectfully. In the oriental restaurant you have a sushi bar that costs 5$ were you can eat all the sushis that you can. In the steakhouse, they serve lobster tails or whole fresh lobster. I gained 5 to 10 pounds during that cruise :o:o

I loved the variety of food that they have and can't wait to go back on an NCL cruise, but I will exercice before and after the cruise and walk a lot while on the ship or on the island.

I'm new here, and looking for some information before I book our 10th anniversary cruise (first cruise for DH...third for me, but first in 15 years). We're looking at the Dawn to Bermuda in August, but I'm concerned about all the generally negative reviews I keep reading about the food on NCL (and I see similar things about Carnival and RCCL!). So, when one says the food is "bad," what exactly does that mean? I understand dining preferences are quite subjective, but I wonder if someone with some experience could give us some ideas of exactly what was bad (or good!) about the meals served? Is it that they are serving poor quality food, or is it just that the kinds of food served aren't to your liking? I'm also seeing negative comments about the reservations process...are people having difficulty just with the specialty restaurants? Thanks!!!:)

I don't think you looked at the Dawns member reviews very well as they are quite good concerning the food. Here's my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=36160

I promise you won't be disappointed with this beautiful ship, friendly, professional staff and great food!

We're recently back from the Pearl... the reservations system isn't too hard. It depends on when you go to get them, when you want to eat & which restaurant. For example, the Italian restaurant is no charge, so it's VERY popular. We opted to book that for dinner early on - before everyone else figured it out.

The food we had was great. Sure, there were a few things we didn't like, but i chalk that up to taste differences. The steak in Cagney's was soooo good. I loved the cheese ravioli in La Cucina. I thought the salsa in Mambo's was great... Even the buffet had lots of good stuff.

It's all such a personal thing... DH is pickier than i am about food & he found many things he liked.

Good G-d! Juice, sodas, coffee, decaf, yellow, blue, pink packets....:eek: How is the food in (name your place)?...Where is the lobster, steak, sushi; whatever, I had on a previous cruise and I heard they don't serve it any longer! And, I can't find a washcloth in my cabin, so I'm going to cancel my auto-tips. Oh, and we can't forget that they offer Chocolate night, but some passengers may be spreading Norovirus because they don't wash their hands before sticking them in the treats; which is a major YUCK!.

I'd really rather hear about your adventures. After all, isn't that what it is really all about?

Yes, I'm cranky, but there are people here who have made me so.

NCl good food, good ships and excellent crew.

Have never had bad food on any cruise line....some is better than others....some portion sizes are larger....some recipes could use a re-work....but to say a cruise ship has bad food is just not so.

The food on any give ship may not be to your liking....for example I found that food in the NCL Sun buffet was over salted in a serious way...but the design and layout of the buffet is what really made it a not nioce place to eat!

Food was better than fine in L'Bistro...service not so good on one night.

So...bad food....nope...don't think so!

Good G-d! Juice, sodas, coffee, decaf, yellow, blue, pink packets....:eek: How is the food in (name your place)?...Where is the lobster, steak, sushi; whatever, I had on a previous cruise and I heard they don't serve it any longer! And, I can't find a washcloth in my cabin, so I'm going to cancel my auto-tips. Oh, and we can't forget that they offer Chocolate night, but some passengers may be spreading Norovirus because they don't wash their hands before sticking them in the treats; which is a major YUCK!.

I'd really rather hear about your adventures. After all, isn't that what it is really all about?

Yes, I'm cranky, but there are people here who have made me so.

Whoaaaaaaaa! I didn't read anything here so far that any of your rant deserved. Who made you so cranky? Every post I read was saying good things. I loved my NCL cruise and I thought the food wonderful.

Perhaps you should highlight the post that upset you so much so we might address it instead of attacking all posters in general.?

This OP has no adventure to tell you about because they haven't been on the cruise yet. They are just asking for opinions. Some of us gave ours. Most were good.

Get a grip.

Winnie

I also have never had "bad food" on any cruise line, including NCL. Sure, some dishes are better than others, but that's true on land as well.

I just don't get the complainers who are unhappy with the food. Bad compared to what... if these folks eat better at home they can probably afford a lot nicer trips than a cruise.

My advice is to ignore anyone who is dissatisfied with the food because they are probably very unhappy people.

You're my favorite poster! I'm sorry if I seem to be so mean. I lost my adopted "baby" yesterday. Her owners came and claimed her. I lost my real little one last year and haven't gotten over it still. Oh well; it doesn't make bad manners any more justified. Sorry again; and...I AM GETTING FAT.

No.. I can't even begin to tell you that I understand your loss because I have not gone through it .........but I can and do grieve for you. I have read a lot of your posts too so that is why I was quite amazed you would break out into such a rant. That post was so UN like you. I'm so very sorry you have had to go through such pain. I wish you well and closure.

I'm sorry.............

Winnie

ps.. email me and we'll exercize together! (could lose a few lbs).

mollieljohnson@verizon.net

I enjoyed almost all the food on my recent Pearl cruise. Not everything was good but I was there nine days, for that amount of time there was very little that I didn't care for.

For me the key is to realize the limitations and the challenges of cooking on a cruise ship. Don't expect 5 star cuisine. I know people on these boards, mostly on other cruiseline boards, will throw out the 5 star cuisine label. When I see that I just have to realize that person has never had actual 5 star food.

Don't worry about the food, if there's something you don't like get something else. I went into my pearl cruise prepared for mediocre food. I was very pleasantly surprised. Not five star but plenty of good things to eat.

Guest Anorak33

I think that for peace of mind the original poster should book on Seabourne or Regent or another of the the cruise lines with impeccable food.

Of course it will cost about 5 times as much but the food might be just a little more 5 star Michelin cuisine.

I think generally NCL have got it about right with the food.

Not too rich, the worst my stomach has ever been on board was on QE2 in the Queens Grill. Too high a fat content basically. And that was the best part of a thousand $$$$ a day. Tasty though!

Sadly I just put on over 9 lbs in 5 days on Jewel. Heathier food, just too much of it. My fault.

Too much good food. And if I had been in an inside cabin it would have cost me $259 for 5 days plus a few taxes. Plus a few $$$ for the different speciality restaurant most nights.

Somewhat of a cost difference.

When people say the food was generally "bad," I think you can discount the statement.

IMHO: on cruises (all of them) you will get desserts that are not great. Some are really awful. No taste, overly sweet. The only two desserts I have liked have been a tropical sundae on HAL and the brownies on Carnival, which RULE. The ice cream, however, has been good on every sailing I've been on.

Rolls, danish, baked goods- GREAT. I've had excellent rye bread on NCL. Bagels? Not so much.

We had steak on HAL, night after night, that we called "Steak-Ums," and you can guess why. But overall the food on HAL was very good.

Some lunch buffet items on the Spirit were absolutely terrible. But you could always have an excellent sandwich, or a burger, or a pasta dish. The dinner food in the main dining rooms was always good. hey- if I get a plate of jerk chicken with a side of salsa with mangoes and corn in it, and some kind of rice, I'm thrilled. Others would be horrified. If my spouse gets a stew-type thing, on mashed potatoes, he's thrilled. I'm not. If either one of us gets a dried up piece of fish, neither one of us is happy, but we've also had an appetizer, soup, salad... who cares if the entree was a miss? We're just not staring at the plate, closing our ears and eyes to everything else, and floating on a cloud or committing suicide based on what's been served to us. Then again, we've never done a transatlantic with 6 sea days!!

The best food I have had, and this includes the QE2, was on Carnival. Now, obviously I'm not going to book a Carnival cruise just for the food and no way am I sailing Carnival with another adult.

You'll be fine.

To the OP,

Go with an open mind. If you don't like it, don't eat it. There is always more food available. This is one of the best parts of cruising. It provides you the opportunity to try things you might not try in a regular restaurant. Just order something else if you really don't like it.

My family loved the food on both our NCL cruises.

My philosophy is, any food I don't cook is good food!

The food on any of the mass market lines is similar. Some a bit better than others. The real thing that seems to drive the bad food reviews in unreasonable expectations.

You are on a mass market cruise line that puts out anywhere from 2000 to 3500 meals at each meal time (plus crew food). In spite of what anyone claims or wants it is not 5* food, in fact it is closer to 3*. Does that make it bad? Not at all.

It really all depends on what you expect. If you want 5* food, cruise one of the luxury lines. If you are cruising to have a good time and a nice vacation one of the mass markets will be perfect. The food won't be the best you have ever tasted, but it is much better than you typical land based chains, but it's not Morton's or Ruth Christ.

You will find overall that the food is tasty, well prepared, and both healthy and hearty. If you are lucky you will find some new tastes, and maybe some new recipes that excite you.

All in all ignore the food reviews, because less than 1% of cruisers are on Cruise critic. Remember too, that the people who are satisfied don't feel a need to voice their pleasure, but the squeaky wheels think they can disrupt the fun of ever one else so that others can join them in their misery.

Have a good cruise!

The food on any of the mass market lines is similar. Some a bit better than others. The real thing that seems to drive the bad food reviews in unreasonable expectations.

You are on a mass market cruise line that puts out anywhere from 2000 to 3500 meals at each meal time (plus crew food). In spite of what anyone claims or wants it is not 5* food, in fact it is closer to 3*. Does that make it bad? Not at all.

It really all depends on what you expect. If you want 5* food, cruise one of the luxury lines. If you are cruising to have a good time and a nice vacation one of the mass markets will be perfect. The food won't be the best you have ever tasted, but it is much better than you typical land based chains, but it's not Morton's or Ruth Christ.

You will find overall that the food is tasty, well prepared, and both healthy and hearty. If you are lucky you will find some new tastes, and maybe some new recipes that excite you.

All in all ignore the food reviews, because less than 1% of cruisers are on Cruise critic. Remember too, that the people who are satisfied don't feel a need to voice their pleasure, but the squeaky wheels think they can disrupt the fun of ever one else so that others can join them in their misery.

Have a good cruise!

I agree 100% never expected 5 star quality food on any mass market cruise but always found something to eat and if I wanted better quality then went to the speciality restaurants. If you ask how is the food you will get different answers to that question and it is all subjective.

I just got off the Dawn, and gained 5 pounds. I thought the food was very good. The wait for either the "free" restaraunts was never more than 5 minutes, although there were only 2 of us. We easily got reservations for the other restaraunts on the same day when we called that morning. And the lobster in the dining room was excellent, not overcooked but just perfect.

Archived