Exactly how "bad" is the food?

upstateny39

OK, now I feel totally reassured! I'm completely with you that any food I don't have to cook is fantastic. I don't think my expectations are high at all, so I just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be really disappointed. I'm really pushing for the cruise for our anniversary (while DH is still thinking about a resort in Colorado) because this will be a rare chance to have a week alone and I want to make sure it's as relaxing as possible (I'll end up cooking in Colorado!) Given that we usually eat kid-friendly, bland food at home or take-out pizza in our college hometown, we are mainly looking for some new choices.

I also have to remember that, not only are people more likely to write reviews about bad experiences than good, but that I'm more likely to read the bad reviews to make sure that I'm not booking a mistake!!!:)

Thanks for all of your help!

I really only had one bad experience on a ship. I can usally find something I like (I'll try anything once!) We were on a Carnival cruise 3 years ago. Lobster night.mmmmmmmmmm I ended up trading in my soggy, saltwaterlogged lobster for a toasted PB&J, milk ,potato chips ,and cookies (I call that my Kindergarten lunch). I'm from New Engand and I know a good lobster. That was not a good lobster.:rolleyes:

Otherwise, breakfast buffet has somthing for everyone. If you'd rater in the dining room then that's good too. Same with lunch. Some people's expectations are higher than mosts and they will be the ones who are disappointed. So don't worry about the food.

On a sadder note, I am sorry to hear about your baby MS Belp. My heart goes out to you.

To the OP,

Tell your husband to "stop thinking of Colorado". Sell him on the romance of a cruise cabin. Lots of stuff we can't write about on these boards..... but many consider it the best *** anywhere.

That might convince him.

Of course the no cooking helps too!

Why do you think so many of us keep going back:D :D .

The prime rib is excellent. It is served in the main dining room and Le Bistro. The portion is larger in Le Bistro, but both were delicious, cooked to perfection.:D

So why didn't you just order 2 or 3 or more if the portions are smaller?

I'm new here, and looking for some information before I book our 10th anniversary cruise (first cruise for DH...third for me, but first in 15 years). We're looking at the Dawn to Bermuda in August, but I'm concerned about all the generally negative reviews I keep reading about the food on NCL (and I see similar things about Carnival and RCCL!). So, when one says the food is "bad," what exactly does that mean? I understand dining preferences are quite subjective, but I wonder if someone with some experience could give us some ideas of exactly what was bad (or good!) about the meals served? Is it that they are serving poor quality food, or is it just that the kinds of food served aren't to your liking? I'm also seeing negative comments about the reservations process...are people having difficulty just with the specialty restaurants? Thanks!!!:)

I will be doing a comparison on 2 ships later today: the Star and the golden Princess. We just returned from the Golden last night and I did the Star 3 months ago. As for food, there is little difference. Some places Princess shines, other places (food wise) NCL is better. Portion wise and quality of entrees Princess is head and shoulders above NCL: other than that NCL takes the cake. NCL, though I am not a buffet person has better buffets, much better dining breakfast, more choices for dining, with and without extra charges and free ice cream.....LOL

So why didn't you just order 2 or 3 or more if the portions are smaller?

Because she couldn't finish the "smaller" portion either :D . I finished her "larger" portion at Cagneys (not Le Bistro) :) .

O.T. We're adopting another "baby" who needs a home on Monday. This one will stay.

We've always enjoyed the food on NCL. Le Bistro is my favourite for food & ambience but you obviously pay a supplement for this. Of the main restaurants my favourite on the Dawn was Impressions, I thought it had a more intimate atmosphere than the other main restaurants.

Hope this helps

Jon

Food prepraration and selection are definitely subjective topics. However, food quality is not subjective. Is you can't chew the steak or if the food is cold, then the food is bad.

I have seen references on these boareds that NCL food is comparable to food served on Celebrity and Holland America or even Princess. Absolutely, positively, no way!

We have just returned from an 11 day cuise on the Norweigan Gem and I found the food to be generally good with a few exceptions as noted below.

Garden Buffet - served the same really bad food every day. Not much selection and it never changes. If you have ever been on Celebrity, HAL or Princess, then you probably know what I mean. This may have been worse than the buffet on Royal Caribbean.

Main Dining Rooms - I though food was generally good but the selection did not compare to Celebrity, Hal or Princess. There were 5 nights that we really did not see anything on the menu (always checked the day before) which interested us. That's when we went to the alternative restaurants.

Cagney's Steakhouse - Good, but not great. My wife's Prime Rib was dry. Prime Rib in Main Dining room was better. My ribeye was good but I have had much better. Definitely not Ruth Chris or Chicago Prime.

LeBistro - Fanatastic. I could eat there every night.

Mexican - Very good and free.

Oriental - Very good and we got a 2 for 1 after 8:30 PM.

In general, deserts were just OK. We usually went with the sherbert or ice cream.

We are sailing on the Norweigan Jade in May. I hope the Freestyle 2.0 is in place by then.

I've followed this thread with interest and I have what may be a stupid question:

Do people actually make cruise decisions based only on the food served?

Sea Hound:D

Not at all, though I realize that my question came off that way! Actually, I've heard so many good things about cruise vacations and about Bermuda that making those decisions was no problem. The only thing holding me back were a few negative things I heard about the Freestyle dining thing, so I wanted to check into the details. Also, given that it's an anniversary trip and the only trip we've taken without our kids, I want to make sure absolutely everything about it is great.

And finally, since it's an anniversary trip, we'll hopefully be spending our time on better things that eating!

Food prepraration and selection are definitely subjective topics. However, food quality is not subjective. Is you can't chew the steak or if the food is cold, then the food is bad.

I have seen references on these boareds that NCL food is comparable to food served on Celebrity and Holland America or even Princess. Absolutely, positively, no way!

We have just returned from an 11 day cuise on the Norweigan Gem and I found the food to be generally good with a few exceptions as noted below.

Garden Buffet - served the same really bad food every day. Not much selection and it never changes. If you have ever been on Celebrity, HAL or Princess, then you probably know what I mean. This may have been worse than the buffet on Royal Caribbean.

Main Dining Rooms - I though food was generally good but the selection did not compare to Celebrity, Hal or Princess. There were 5 nights that we really did not see anything on the menu (always checked the day before) which interested us. That's when we went to the alternative restaurants.

Cagney's Steakhouse - Good, but not great. My wife's Prime Rib was dry. Prime Rib in Main Dining room was better. My ribeye was good but I have had much better. Definitely not Ruth Chris or Chicago Prime.

LeBistro - Fanatastic. I could eat there every night.

Mexican - Very good and free.

Oriental - Very good and we got a 2 for 1 after 8:30 PM.

In general, deserts were just OK. We usually went with the sherbert or ice cream.

We are sailing on the Norweigan Jade in May. I hope the Freestyle 2.0 is in place by then.

I think some issues depend on a particular sailing, on a particular ship. I had Prime rib and Cagney's and the main dining room and both were perfectly rare. This doesn't mean that your wife's wasn't dry, just that I had two that were perfect. My T-Bone was bad but others have had ones that were wonderful. Also, in the main dining room they offer items that aren't on the menu if you dont see something you like. If you didn't know this, this can affect your view of the dining. I hope you like the food offering on the Jade in May.

The prime rib is excellent. It is served in the main dining room and Le Bistro. The portion is larger in Le Bistro, but both were delicious, cooked to perfection.:D

Wow. If the portion is larger in LeBistro, I think I'd need a bigger appetite! Actually, when I got this meal, I looked at my daughter's and saw a piece of brocolli, but as you can see from the attached pic, I couldn't see one on my plate (turned out it was under the meat). I said, 'Oh, I wonder why I don't have brocolli,' or something like that, and the next thing I knew, I had a plate of brocolli, carrots and cauliflower - without asking. I thought it was great, since I love vegetables!

To the OP - asking if the food anywhere is 'bad' or 'good' is very subjective. We loved all the food in all the dining rooms we ate in on the Star, and I'm sure the recipes are pretty much the same across the board. It's all about personal taste. I did take pics of most of the food we ate, though, and I'll post a link when I've figured out what to do with them. It'll likely be available just in time for 2.0 to come in and change the menus! :p

Cruise2008217b.jpg.dfceade493a441f182074cfcb7378e21.jpg

Guest Anorak33
I've followed this thread with interest and I have what may be a stupid question:

Do people actually make cruise decisions based only on the food served?

Sea Hound:D

I lost 6lbs in 2 weeks on Marco Polo a few years ago when they were going through a bad patch - I never sailed on it again but I would have if the price and itinerary had been right and I didn't have another cruise I wanted to go on.

So I guess it affects my decisions but not absolutely.

Anyway I need to go on a diet right now after 2 crusies on Gem and 1 on Jewel in the last several months.

Way too many times in the speciality restaurants.

Since you asked about food, of the 3 cruise lines we have tried, I would rank them Celebrity, Carnival, NCL. It's not that NCL was bad, just that the others were better, but I am judging by cruises a few years ago so their food may have gone downhill as well. Some of the main dining room meals were lackluster and I did have one that was terrible--the Mahi Mahi the first night actually tasted rotten. But, one of the best desserts I have ever had was the creme brulee in the main dining room (had chocolate at the bottom). For the most part, I found the food to be quite good. And, since it wasn't spectacular, weight gain was not a problem:) If having a good time depends on having gourmet food every night, either choose another line or plan on spending extra for the specialty restaurants every night.

Wow. If the portion is larger in LeBistro, I think I'd need a bigger appetite! Actually, when I got this meal, I looked at my daughter's and saw a piece of brocolli, but as you can see from the attached pic, I couldn't see one on my plate (turned out it was under the meat). I said, 'Oh, I wonder why I don't have brocolli,' or something like that, and the next thing I knew, I had a plate of brocolli, carrots and cauliflower - without asking. I thought it was great, since I love vegetables!

To the OP - asking if the food anywhere is 'bad' or 'good' is very subjective. We loved all the food in all the dining rooms we ate in on the Star, and I'm sure the recipes are pretty much the same across the board. It's all about personal taste. I did take pics of most of the food we ate, though, and I'll post a link when I've figured out what to do with them. It'll likely be available just in time for 2.0 to come in and change the menus! :p

Msbelp meant Cagney's not LeBisto. The King Cut Prime Rib was BIG. The prime rib in the dining room was small, but that's compared to a really BIG, piece of meat at Cagney's. Mmm mmm, good! That picture looks like the King Cut.

Not at all, though I realize that my question came off that way! Actually, I've heard so many good things about cruise vacations and about Bermuda that making those decisions was no problem. The only thing holding me back were a few negative things I heard about the Freestyle dining thing, so I wanted to check into the details. Also, given that it's an anniversary trip and the only trip we've taken without our kids, I want to make sure absolutely everything about it is great.

And finally, since it's an anniversary trip, we'll hopefully be spending our time on better things that eating!

No worries! Nothing beats sailing out of NY! And Bermuda is one of the most amazing places to visit!

IMO the food on our last cruise was really good. DH is a really great cook, so I'm used to eating well and I was not disappointed! The aps, soups (especially the chilled ones:)), salads, and desserts were all excellent. Other than a couple of so so beef dishes, all of my main course dishes were really good too.

We enjoyed our trip so much, like so many others on this board, we are going to be repeat customers this spring:)

Msbelp meant Cagney's not LeBisto. The King Cut Prime Rib was BIG. The prime rib in the dining room was small, but that's compared to a really BIG, piece of meat at Cagney's. Mmm mmm, good! That picture looks like the King Cut.

It was delicious - that pic is from Aqua, though, so I'll bet the King Cut is even bigger! Yum! :)

Of course it will cost about 5 times as much but the food might be just a little more 5 star Michelin cuisine.

Hmm -- Michelin's highest rating is 3 star; I can't begin to imagine what 5-star Michelin cuisine would taste like.

We've never thought the food bad on any cruise line. I'd say that NCL, for us, has good food in the main dining rooms and excellent food in the pay restaurants - which is where my disappointment falls. Carnival offers alot more seafood in its main restaurants than NCL and we love seafood. You have to pay a premium to eat what you get for 'free' (ok, already paid for). No giant grilled prawns on NCL like you get on Carnival.

And the steak served to us in the main dining room of the Spirit could not have been more than 3 oz. It was literally 1/4 in thick.

Let's all remember 2.0 is coming. Lobster to be offered 4-5 times during the week. I think NCL said it was rolling out 2.0 thru 2008. So I think good things are coming...

We didn't hate it. If we did we wouldn't be sailing the Spirit again, 1 week from tomorrow.

Kathy

Have fun sweets .. I think I'll pack myself in your suitcase ;) . Love to Jeff. :)

Guest Anorak33
Hmm -- Michelin's highest rating is 3 star; I can't begin to imagine what 5-star Michelin cuisine would taste like.

Rubber as far as I am concerned, closest I'll ever get to anything Michelin is a car tyre.

We found that the service from the more experienced wait staff was excellent whereas the newer staff members appeared easily overwhelmed and without training assistance. Curiously when we noted extra slow service at the table, there seemed to be a group of staff more or less standing around at the front station. They seemed to each have specific tasks that did not involve serving food or drinks. We also noted that several of our servers made frequent trips to the wait station to check their notes in between doling out the same side to everyone at the table.

After the first couple of meals we didn't expect the same level of service or quality of food as we'd experienced on other cruises. For this reason we were able to be pleasantly surprised when the food or service was especially good on the Sun.

Except for Le Bistro, the surcharges did not guarantee better quality food/food prep or service. If I were to compare Le Bistro to Palo (surcharge) on the Magic, I'd have to say that Palo wins hands down. Posts from other NCL ships vs those of the Sun seem to indicate that perhaps the restaurant management on the Sun needs to be reviewed. We experienced some fairly disgruntled servers in the freestyle restaurants which may be further indication.

My description of the food in general would be "Denny's meets Golden Corral"...with the occasional Bennigan's flash of greatness. :rolleyes: To say that the food we had on the Jewel 8 weeks ago was "underwhelming" would be kind...but I am a bit of a "foodie" and have high standards.

My description of the food in general would be "Denny's meets Golden Corral"...with the occasional Bennigan's flash of greatness. :rolleyes: To say that the food we had on the Jewel 8 weeks ago was "underwhelming" would be kind...but I am a bit of a "foodie" and have high standards.

I actually consider myself to be a bit of a 'foodie' as well. I've actually considered going on a cuisine oriented trip sometime, but I don't think my scale could take it! That being said, I loved all the food I had on the Star. I don't think a particular interest in food necessarily necessitates 'high standards', though, since it still all boils down to personal taste. All of the beef I ate on the Star was perfectly cooked to order and tender, which is something I am EXTREMELY picky about. I send more steaks back than anyone I've ever met; if I'm paying for it I simply won't accept it if it's not what I asked for. All of my meals that were supposed to be hot were served hot; cold were cold. The seafood was also perfectly cooked - something else I notice - not a rubbery bit of lobster, shrimp or scallops over the entire cruise.

So... I consider myself to have 'high standards' as well. I believe that means that I expect my food to meet my standards as far as quality (ie tender meat), accuracy (according to what I have specifically requested), temperature, and timeliness. All of those criteria were met on the Star, and since I know myself and what I enjoy very well, I only ordered one thing that I didn't find delicious - a chilled soup. It was the 'chilled' part that I didn't like, though, and my husband loved it enough to eat mine as well as his. I think 'standards' stop after the 'standard expectations' I described above are met; actual flavours and preparation are going to appeal to every individual differently according to their unique tastes. They're as unique as opinions; this one is mine. :)

Archived