Telephone calls to Canada????

Belleisle Gal

Do you remember how much it was? We are planning on calling when we hit this port.

I can't remember the exact rates, but I know it's cheaper to use a Cayman land line to call Canada than it is to use your Canadian cell phone to call home from Cayman. A lot cheaper. :eek: The long distance rates are much cheaper than the cell company's roaming charges...or at least cheaper than Rogers...

I can't remember the exact rates, but I know it's cheaper to use a Cayman land line to call Canada than it is to use your Canadian cell phone to call home from Cayman. A lot cheaper. :eek: The long distance rates are much cheaper than the cell company's roaming charges...or at least cheaper than Rogers...

Thank you! My husband suggested the cell phone but I figured it would be cheaper on land. I will get him to read this post.:)

Thank you! My husband suggested the cell phone but I figured it would be cheaper on land. I will get him to read this post.:)

Phoned my DH, who also thought our cell would be better...at least until the bill arrived. :) Calls from Cayman to Toronto, using a Toronto (Rogers AT&T) cell phone - $1.50 to $1.80 a minute, depending on the time of day (no special roaming package or anything...just our normal package). Calls from Cayman to Toronto, using our Cayman home phone (land line) - about 26 cents a minute. A pay phone or call centre might be a little more expensive than a private home phone, but as long as it's less than a buck a minute you're still getting a better deal. I'd stick to the land line unless you've got a really good roaming plan from your cell phone provider.

Right across the street from the port is an upstairs store, accessible from the street right next to the cigar shop. They offer free internet for 15 minutes and free phone calls for 5 minutes. I did not see any sign about restrictions as to where you can call.

Right across the street from the port is an upstairs store, accessible from the street right next to the cigar shop. They offer free internet for 15 minutes and free phone calls for 5 minutes. I did not see any sign about restrictions as to where you can call.

Thank you! We will look into this.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it's funny you ask. I made a call from grand cayman from my cell phone (Telus - Toronto number) to another cell phone in Toronto (but was in Las Vegas at the time). I was SO worried about how much the bill would be and oddly enough, we were not billed for that phone call on our bill! I used it on the ship when it was anchored and within close distance of land to pick up a land signal. I think it was justa fluke though, and would assume that a land-line would be cheaper!

I was SO worried about how much the bill would be and oddly enough, we were not billed for that phone call on our bill! I used it on the ship when it was anchored and within close distance of land to pick up a land signal. I think it was justa fluke though, and would assume that a land-line would be cheaper!

How long ago was that? It can take a while for the various providers to coordinate and get the bill through the channels to the customer. :) It may appear eventually...and if not, you were really lucky. I'm so jealous! We couldn't believe how expensive the roaming charges were...

How long ago was that? It can take a while for the various providers to coordinate and get the bill through the channels to the customer. :) It may appear eventually...and if not, you were really lucky. I'm so jealous! We couldn't believe how expensive the roaming charges were...

Uh Oh! You had to mention that? :eek:

It was in December. My calls from Florida came up on our bill and were not too expensive (around $3/call for a couple minutes), so hopefully if we do get charged for the Cayman call, it won't be too much more... I will have to keep you posted now though! :o

Archived