Horse drawn buggy tour - Nassau

momofzeke

I did it once and wouldn't do it again, but am glad that I tried it once. It really isn't all too interesting and it was VERY hard to hear the driver's voice as he tried to point out certain things. A cab ride will get you better info. and you'll be able to hear it a lot easier. Plus, the streets are even bumpier in the horse carriage than in a cab.

If you want the experience of doing it, though, and don't care about the tour part of it, then it is a nice and quick little thing to do. If you don't mind the strong smell of horses and horse poop (when they go while walking in the middle of the tour). ;)

I don't recall how much we paid, but it was a quick ride - I do think 20 min. or so.

If you don't mind the strong smell of horses and horse poop (when they go while walking in the middle of the tour). ;)

LOL! That's funny, because we are ranchers and we are very used to the smell of horses, horse poop, cow poop, bull poop, calf poop, etc. :D

Might have to rethink this one. I am mostly looking for a fairly quick tour of the high points of Nassau, and if you can't really hear what the driver is saying, then it might not be worth it. The "horse" part of it is not a novelty to us, since we ride horses for a living. ;)

Thanks for the info!

My friend talked me into taking the carriage ride with her too. I can't remember how much it was (actually she paid for it since I didn't want to do it), and as the other poster mentioned, it was pretty boring and hard to hear the driver pointing out various sites w/ all the cars zooming by us and it seemed to go by rather quickly. I was left with a bad taste when we returned and the driver's helper (son, hired help??) got mad when we said we didn't want our picture taken (w/ our own camera) in the carriage~ for a tip, of course!! (we did tip the driver though). I definitely wouldn't do it again.....

LOL! That's funny, because we are ranchers and we are very used to the smell of horses, horse poop, cow poop, bull poop, calf poop, etc. :D

Then you should be fine with the smell. I'm a horse person myself, but the smell was rather extra strong - 'course, it could just be 'cause I haven't been around a barn/stable recently *sigh*.

Might have to rethink this one. I am mostly looking for a fairly quick tour of the high points of Nassau, and if you can't really hear what the driver is saying, then it might not be worth it. The "horse" part of it is not a novelty to us, since we ride horses for a living. ;)

You might still want to do it for novelty's sake, since it is fun being in a horse-drawn carriage. Just don't expect to learn about the sites and all. But, if you only have time for one type of tour and you really want to learn about the local sites, you should prob'ly go for a non-horse tour.

Oh - I have heard good things about a tour guide named Showtime! I haven't personally been on his tour, but heard good things from a friend of mine (on her blog) and also read a few things in this forum about him. If you do a search on here for his name ("Showtime!"), you should be able to find the threads about him. His tour is in a van and includes some of Atlantis as well as other places.

Thanks, Quampapetet ~ I'll check out Showtime's tour. :)

The horse-drawn buggy does sound like fun, though, just for the sake of doing something different. We are only in Nassau for a few hours, so our options are pretty limited.

We did the horse & carriage tour in September. It was $20 for about a 25 minute ride. It's funny to hear folks mention having a hard time hearing the driver because our driver seemed to be suffering from laryngitis and couldn't speak above a whisper!:eek: Didn't keep him from talking to us the whole way, so we got some tidbits here and there!

We had our 3.5 yo DD with us and she loved it. It was ok and as mentioned, I'm glad we did it but no rush to do it again.

Archived