Amsterdam - Keukenhof

nonrev1

We will be in Amsterdam on the last day the Keukenhof is open - can anyone recommend a good way to get there? Any driver /guide recommendations? We are in Amsterdam only a short period of time - so taking a bus is probably not an option.

Thanks!

You must remember if you are there the last day of opening, it might be hardly worth it to go there...It will depend how cool or warm spring will be.

At the top of this board you often will see an ad of senior travel, a private driver.

Tours from the city are also offered :

http://www.keytours.nl/

http://www.thebestofholland.nl/

Keep an eye on the temperatures in April and May in NL.

e.g. wunderground.com - gives also statistics about earlier years.

Last year April was very warm - much above normal and flowers bloomed at least 2 weeks earlier.

On the other hand, I remember 2 years ago spring was rather cold and Keukenhof extended the openingsdays with another week, since there were still many flowers blooming...

I guess I will have to keep an eye on the eather. I have heard how beautiful Keukenhof is, so it would be great to have the opportunity to see it.(of course while the flowers are in bloom):)

Since our time in Amsterdam is limited - we arrive at 8:30 am and depart at 2:00 pm - do you think we would have enough time to take the train to the airport and then take the #58 Express to Keukenhof and then the reverse? I have checked on some drivers and it is quite pricey - unfortunately the established tours offered by several companies in Amsterdam do not return to the city until 2:30 pm.

Thank you for your help. Lauri

It can be done, but I also have doubts about the schedule.

You need 1 hour from Centraal Station to get to Keukenhof.(and another 15/20 minutes to walk to CS from the cruiseterminal, buy traintickets and strippenkaart for the bus . Each persons needs 7 strips, so you need to buy 2 cards of 15 - so bring Euros for the machines!!).

At the present winterschedule that means if you have a train at 08.59 (or the next at 09.29 - you will be there 1 hour later, incl. change train to bus at Schiphol airport and walk a few minutes in Lisse to get to Keukenhof.

In the park you need at least 2 - better 3 or more hours.

Back at the latest at 11.41 from Keukenhof, that means arriving at CS at 13.02 (1.02pm), plus 15 minutes walk to the ship.

So you see, in the best case you will have about 1,5 hour at the park...

Maybe you should try to find another couple on your Roll-call of the ship, who is willing to share a private driver with you..

Thank you - I will continue to look for a driver. I did find for 8 people 220 euros RT. From your experience,will there be drivers/taxis waiting around the terminal that will drive to/from Keukenhof that might do it cheaper? I have not seen any information posted on CC and don't really have a frame of reference when it comes to the cost.

Again - Thank you!

Thank you - I will continue to look for a driver. I did find for 8 people 220 euros RT. From your experience,will there be drivers/taxis waiting around the terminal that will drive to/from Keukenhof that might do it cheaper? I have not seen any information posted on CC and don't really have a frame of reference when it comes to the cost.

Again - Thank you!

There will be taxis at the terminal, but realise taxis in NL are very expensive.

For a ride just to the airport they (over)charge about Eur. 50.--, which is not even half the distance you go.

Of course you can try and make a deal, but donot count on it too much.

I am not sure there will be taxis waiting at Keukenhof, and to have a taxidriver waiting for you might make it extreme expensive.

Keukenhof (meaning "kitchen yard") is a beautiful garden during the spring time, and I agree fully with Ine's responses about the timing. I was lucky to be there a few years ago when, not only the tulips but several other bulbs planted by the local growers, were in full bloom. Here are a couple pictures I took at that time. It was towards the end of April.

However, keep in mind that the place is not all that easy to reach by train or bus. It is south-west of Amsterdam, near Lisse. You might want to go to Google Earth and search Keukenhof, Lisse, Netherlands. You will see the garden when there were no flowers, but you will find numerous photos taken by others.

Too bad you only have a few hours in Amsterdam. It just is not enough. It kind of reminds me of that old movie "It is Tuesday, this must be Brussels" (or something like that).

Keukenhof%201.jpg

Keukenhof%202.jpg

Ine,

How do you feel about 5-6 April for Keukenhof?? It opens 20 March this year. Not really very flexible in dates as I'm limited to 4-7 April. Also, Have you ever been to the Hartenstein Airborne Museum at Oosterbeek? We'll be staying at a B&B on the North side of Amsterdam, is there anything that you'd recommend as a msut see?

Thanks,

Greg

Seeing those nice photos of LairBlair, it reminds me I have some Keukenhof photos online:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Keukenhof%20and%20flowerfields/

<<<How do you feel about 5-6 April for Keukenhof?? It opens 20 March this year. Not really very flexible in dates as I'm limited to 4-7 April. Also, Have you ever been to the Hartenstein Airborne Museum at Oosterbeek? We'll be staying at a B&B on the North side of Amsterdam, is there anything that you'd recommend as a msut see?

Thanks, Greg>>

Greg I think I replied to you regarding the B & B at the other Europe board. If you depend on publictransport it is not a great place to stay. You must always take buses into and from the city.

Keukenhof might be allright. If there are not enough flowers blooming outside, they always have some glasshouses with flowers open to the public. In April you will see some "early-blooming" tulips, daffodils etc.

Maybe no flowerields yet. It depends so much on how temperatures will be in spring, we have had warm but also cool springs in the past...

I have heard about the Airborne Museum, but have never been there. Oosterbeek is close to Arnhem, the city made famous in the film "one bridge too far". You can go by train.

In Amsterdam the must sees are of course the Rijksmuseum(Rembrandt), Van Goghmuseum and Ann Frankhouse. You can book Ann Frank on-line and avoid possible long lines. Make a canalcruise, either by day or at night with wine and cheese. (With diner also possible, but no really worth the money). By bus you can go and watch the flower-auction in Aalsmeer, but go as early as possible.

By train you can travel to The Hague (Peacepalace), the seaside resort of Scheveningen and of course Delft - Delftblue.

The windmills, clogmaking (klompen) and cheese at Zaanse Schans.

Public transport is very good, you can travel anywhere.

Touristtraps but still nice are Volendam and from there by ship over IJsselmeer (formerly Zuiderzee) to Marken.

Ine,

We knew when we selected the B&B that it was "the other side of the harbor" but were told that the Nr. 35 Bus runs about every 15 minutes from the Central Station to the stop at Molenwijk (which is about 400 meters from the B&B). We were also told the trip from Molenwijk to Central Station (or return) was about 15 minutes. Based upon our experience with busses in Europe (absolutely outstanding) we thought this would be no problem. We actually like riding busses (or other local transport) when we travel as we come not just to see the "sights" but also the people. My "non-existant" Dutch and my very weak German probably doesn't allow for us to make too many "changes" but a one bus trip actually seemed doable and fun. The final straw is that we'll have a car as we'll be driving up from Germany and this B&B has parking. My wife is currently stationed at Landstuhl (near Kaiserslautern) and four of us are taking a long (4 day) weekend to visit Holland (I know this isn't enough time but it is only our first trip). We're fixed on the dates because of my wife's "time off" schedule. Our plan is to drive up stopping at Arnhem/Oosterbeek on the way (I was a paratrooper in the Marines so that's why the interest in the Red Devil Museum). Apparently the Open Air Folk Museum at Arnhem is worth seeing also.

All that said, if you are suggesting the trip may not be as safe, or easy, or reliable as I've described (maybe because of traffic jams in the tunnel?) I would very much like to know so we can re-consider.

Would you suggest a car (since we'll have one) or public transport to Zaanse Schans. I had thought we'd take the car. Also, if you were visiting Zaanse Schans and Keukenhof on a Saturday and a Sunday; which day would you recommend going to each? Or does it matter? We iwill plan a night time wine and cheese canal cruise also (thanks for the recommendation).

Thanks for all yours insight and assistance,

Greg

<<All that said, if you are suggesting the trip may not be as safe, or easy, or reliable as I've described (maybe because of traffic jams in the tunnel?) I would very much like to know so we can re-consider.>>

Well if you are used to driving in Germany, you will be fine in NL too. Europeans drive more agressive then in the USA. You will be fine in Amsterdam North, no problem. Just wanted to point out to you that you needed a bus to get into town. You better buy a "strippenkaart" at one of the local stores, but your B & B can show you where. Cards for 15 or 40 strips are sold, from North to Center I think you need 3 strips each one way.Singe rides are more expensive, but then you can pay the driver.

<<Would you suggest a car (since we'll have one) or public transport to Zaanse Schans. I had thought we'd take the car. Also, if you were visiting Zaanse Schans and Keukenhof on a Saturday and a Sunday; which day would you recommend going to each? Or does it matter? We iwill plan a night time wine and cheese canal cruise also (thanks for the recommendation).>>

I suggest you go by car, from Ams North you drive into the direction of Purmerend and you will see the Zaanse Schans exit. Just a short drive, maybe 15 minutes.There is a paid-parking area.

Train is o.k. too, but that means you have to go to Centraal Station first, take train to Koog-Zaandijk wand walk from there. Besides the bridge over river Zaan is closed due contruction and there is a free ferry for connection. So that is more complicated anyway.

I think Keukenhof will be less crowded on a Saturday, but go there early . If you buy tickets on-line it is less expensive. Also paid parking. On weekend many people from other countries, Belgium, GB, Germany etc. over coming to see the gardens.

It will make no difference which day you visit Zaanse Schans.

We are going to pass on Keukenhof due to our short time in Amsterdam and the date being the last day of the season. I was reading your post about Zaanse Schans - it looks like a good option for us with our short amount of time. How often do the trains run to/from Central Station. Also with the bridge closed - is it still open to pedestrian traffic?

Thank you!

We are going to pass on Keukenhof due to our short time in Amsterdam and the date being the last day of the season. I was reading your post about Zaanse Schans - it looks like a good option for us with our short amount of time. How often do the trains run to/from Central Station. Also with the bridge closed - is it still open to pedestrian traffic?

Thank you!

There are 4 trains each hour, traveltime from CS to Koog-Zaandijk is 17 minutes. You cross the street and walk for about 10 minutes.

No, the brdige is closed for all traffic, but there is a free ferry for pedestrians, which leaves to the right from where the bridge is. It will sail every 10 minutes.

http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

Thank you for all of the information. This seems like a much better option with our limited time.

Lauri

I agree, this will give you a few nice hours. If you return early into Amsterdam, you can still walk around a little too.

Ine,

Sorry for all of the questions- but I need your help again. I was trying to find train schedules and looking at the sites, I can not find which train goes to Koog-Zaandijk. Do you know which train it is? From what I am reading, it looks like the ticket windows at Central Station do not open until 10:00 on Sundays and we will need to buy our tickets from a ticket kiosk - I just don't know which train to buy a ticket for - and if we can just buy a round trip ticket or need a strip ticket for multiple zones.

Thank you

Ine,

Sorry for all of the questions- but I need your help again. I was trying to find train schedules and looking at the sites, I can not find which train goes to Koog-Zaandijk. Do you know which train it is? From what I am reading, it looks like the ticket windows at Central Station do not open until 10:00 on Sundays and we will need to buy our tickets from a ticket kiosk - I just don't know which train to buy a ticket for - and if we can just buy a round trip ticket or need a strip ticket for multiple zones.

Thank you

If you carry Euros you can buy tickets in the machines inside the station.

I know sometimes kind of "strange" people offer their help - for a tip - , but it is easy, just read and follow instructions. Be aware for pickpockers at the station, carry your bags/cameras in front of you.

Tickets at the windows are a little higher in price.

Buy day returntickets

This site is the railway side, on top you can change language.

http://ns.nl/pages/index.html

On weekdays trains leave in general like 08.46, 08.59, 09.16, 09.29 etc. each hour. 2nd class return E. 4.70, 1st class E. 8.-- per person.

On Sundays there are less trains.

Koog-Zaandijk is about the 4th stop, the one after Koog-Bloemwijk, traveltime about 17 minutes.

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. We had a wonderful time during our very short stay in Amsterdam. We took a train out to Zaanse Schans and could not have asked for a better day. We did have one mishap - the return ferry broke and we had to find an alternate route back to the train station. Luckily there was a small boat that would take people across ( just past the windmills) and docked about a mile and a half from the train station . We planned for some extra time - so, it all worked out ....plus walked through a beuatiful part of the town that we would not have seen otherwise. I wish we had more time in Amsterdam - but, with a short stay, this was a great option!

Thank you again,

Lauri

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. We had a wonderful time during our very short stay in Amsterdam. We took a train out to Zaanse Schans and could not have asked for a better day. We did have one mishap - the return ferry broke and we had to find an alternate route back to the train station. Luckily there was a small boat that would take people across ( just past the windmills) and docked about a mile and a half from the train station . We planned for some extra time - so, it all worked out ....plus walked through a beuatiful part of the town that we would not have seen otherwise. I wish we had more time in Amsterdam - but, with a short stay, this was a great option!

Thank you again,

Lauri

Good to see you enjoyed Zaanse Schans, I like it myself, was there again about 10 days ago.

Sorry to hear you had the day with the broken ferry, I have read about it.

I think it is a charming way to enter Zaanse Schans with the ferry across river Zaan.

Just the other day (I feel ashamed to admit....) I found out there also is a bus from Amsterdam CS to Zaanse Schans, nr. 91 does it in about 35 minutes.

Archived