Map Auction

nkbrkr6

After 8 trips on the Tahitian Princess, I finally won the map for a really low price. The other times the price ranged from medium to really high. The map I won has professional interest to me as I am conducting historic research on one of the fringe islands on the map. Keep bidding, you never know.

Where are these actions held and what is a "high price"? Thanks.

I have never attended an auction..... but understand the ones from our cruises went in the low to medium hundreds $'s.

So by my scale I would say $100 is a good buy, and $500 is probably paying premium. :)

I "won" one on the Coral recently for under $200 (the money goes to charity--what the heck) :D . I have seen them go for much higher if a bidding war breaks out. They are usually sold at the last or next to last art auctions on the cruise.

Les

They do it on the last day of the cruise. no longer part of the art auction.

I am looking at the one I got of my SE Asia cruise as I write this...I paid $560! but I love it- so what the heck- like the previous poster said the money goes to marine charities.

Normally the cruise map is auctioned right after the horse races and just before the final game of Bingo on your cruise. Sometimes they go cheap, sometimes not. You can see what the map looks like in part posted for preview by one of the doors near Horizon Court.

If your cruise deviates from the expected route that will actually be shown on the map that's auctioned.

If your cruise deviates from the expected route that will actually be shown on the map that's auctioned.

Of course, it probably also means the chart is going to go for a higher cost, since there's generally a story behind why they deviated.

I almost bought the one on our Med cruise, it went for just a little more than I was willing to pay (I think it ended up just under $250 or so).

Archived