Group Question

teelovescruising

We are going on a Family & Friends Cruise 5/11/09. I have a PVP with Carnival. To set up our group cruise, he is basically the middle man between a group planner and myself. He is setting aside a certain amount of rooms for us and we have 30 days for everyone to put down a deposit. What I can't get a clear understanding on is if additional family book after that time can they be added to the group and will the group get "points" for those cabins?

We are going on a Family & Friends Cruise 5/11/09. I have a PVP with Carnival. To set up our group cruise, he is basically the middle man between a group planner and myself. He is setting aside a certain amount of rooms for us and we have 30 days for everyone to put down a deposit. What I can't get a clear understanding on is if additional family book after that time can they be added to the group and will the group get "points" for those cabins?

Once that 30 day period expires anything can happen. Any sailing can be closed to new group bookings. But you're so far in advance of the sailing date that the odds of that happening are about nil for the near future. Otherwise, as long as a cabin can be added to the group allotment it will count toward any perks/amenities.

The best way to handle this is to just tell any prospective group members that price and availability are only guaranteed until the end of that 30-day period. Then you're covered and it hopefully lights a fire under everyone to book sooner than later.

It depends if there are cabins open to group sailings. Not all cabins are open to group bookings. Like said above a cruise line can decide to close group sailings. If there are cabins to be booked then the cruise line will have no problem in crediting those to your group.

What I do is put the date to which the deposits are due. Then I make a note that any bookings made after deposit date is subject to availability and price change. For some who are the we don't want to miss a good thing. They will book right away. For those that will wait and be late for their own funeral. Nothing is going to push them to move faster. The only thing you can do is have the paperwork that says it and CYA yourself.

Interesting that you were given a 30 day deadline for a cruise that is 15 months away. I just booked a group space with my TA for a cruise this coming October and there are no deadlines. We have 3 cabins booked so far and anybody that wants to go on that cruise (through my cruise center) will just be booked into our group space. Not sure if using a PVP rather than a personal TA makes a difference, but I'm sure that once it gets closer to final payment, if we don't have the numbers for group space, it will be voided and we will just lose the group perks.

I am part of a group booking thru a TA. I've never heard of a 30 day window for deposit either for a sailing so far away. Maybe the 30 day window is just to guarantee quoted price.

Our group was set up about a year and a half ago. People had to put down an initial $50 deposit per person to ensure pricing. A total of $250 deposit pp was due by Nov 15, 07. I booked June 25, 07 and paid a deposit of $250 pp. I signed up long after the group was established and all pricing was still good when I signed up. Final payment was just due last week. That 30 day deal sounds fishy to me.:confused:

You should call the group department and make sure you are getting all of the benefits possible from booking a group. With the first group I booked over a year ago I started with a PVP and after asking some questions realized that I was getting the amenities that it was possible to receive. I don't know how the PVP's are paid, but it seemed as though the one I was dealing with was more concerned about getting as many people booked as possible and not with getting my group the best deal. If you call the group department, you might find they can offer you a lot.

Carnival will often allow a reduced $25 deposit for the first 30 days and occasionally you can get an extension on that. After the initial 30 days the full deposit would be required for additional bookings. Always ask Carnival to hold more cabins than you anticipate needing. If the ship starts filling up they do have the right to pull any undeposited cabins from your group. If you set up the initial reduced deposit a date will be given to you to have the remainder of the $250 deposit into the office (I'm thinking 6 months prior to sail date). After that date prices are no longer guaranteed. Also, if you have any singles, triples, or quads they have to pay the full deposit and are not eligible for the $25 reduced deposit because of the limited availability of those cabins.

You will receive credit toward your group bookings for those who book after the initial 30 days and they will receive all the same perks. As long as you have extra cabins on hold they will still receive the same discounted rate up until around 6 months prior to sailing.

I hope this helps answer any questions you might have. I just returned from my first group this past weekend. If you have any questions you can email me at robincknight@yahoo.com

Oh yeah, the group leader gets a few extra perks too! In addition to getting a rebate I received a very nice fruit basket and bottle of champagne in addition to our other amenity gifts just for hosting the group.

re: the 30-day thing.

I have read hundreds of group contracts from CCL and they all have this type of stipulation in the fine print somewhere. CCL needs to allow themselves a definite time frame after which unsold cabins can be recalled for any reason. They will never promise a TA that they can hang on to any unsold cabins forever. Since the right to recall these cabins is rarely invoked -- especially not when the sailing is more than a year away -- a TA may never mention it to you. But it's in there.

Archived