luggage transport to airport Ft. Lauderdale?

sandycruzr

:) Hi, My flight after the cruise doesn't leave FLL until 5:30 so I would like to spend my time in Ft. Lauderdale (not in the airport) after leaving the ship. Any ideas on what I can do with my luggage? (I need to eek out every bit of Florida sunshine- I AM FROM BUFFALO,NY so you must understand my desperation!!!!:) :) Thanks!!

I don't know what airline you are flying. We had a similar situation. We paid $20 and signed up on board for a luggage valet service. For $20, they print you boarding passes and take your luggage to the airport and you pick it up in baggage claim at your final destination.

There is one thing to point out. By law, everyone must go through customs with their luggage. What that means is you do have to pick it up in the terminal and go through customs. However, right outside the terminal door, they take your luggage away.

This was a great way to get rid of the luggage for the day and visit Fort Lauderdale. It is not offered for every airline, and it is only for flights in the US. I hope this helps.

We've done the luggage check too - very convenient but not everyone is eligible and not airlines participate.

We do have one other suggestion, something we've done a few times at Ft. Lauderdale in a similar situation. We've arranged a rental car with pick up from the pier. Often you can find something for $50 or less that you can cram your luggage into and have some transportation as well. We've usually just gone over by Las Olas & the Ocean Front Drive and walked around, shopped, had lunch at a restaurant facing the beach, etc. Then turned the car in at the airport.

Just make sure your rental agency has pick up at the ship and that you have their local number handy in your cell phone when you disembark. A couple, Budget and one other I can't remember the name of, have local rental places not far from the pier. The others transport you to the airport rental car center.

Archived