Taking passports off ship or leaving in cabin safe?

LeslieSJ

I know this has been discussed before but when I try to search this site it bogs down and gets timed out. So forgive me for asking again....

Do you take your passport ashore with you or leave it in your cabin? I don't like the idea of carrying it around in a bag which could be stolen -- seems like the odds of a purse-snatching are higher than the odds of needing it for some kind of assistance, e.g., if you missed the ship due to a late-running excursion.

Would carrying a photo-copy of it be worth anything or is that meaningless to authorities?

I do remember needing it to make a purchase in a jewelry store in Barbados -- don't know if that was just the store's policy or a Barbados thing or if it is common in the Caribbean.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

We leave the passport in the safe, unless we are directed to bring it for certain countries. We do take the photocopy,though. When we do take the actual passport, I always carry ours along with our credit cards in a money belt.

I think the documents from Celebrity will tell you if you need a passport or not, or whether you need specific, governmental forms or documents for certain places. In any event, all members of your shore party should have some valid form of identification, probably with a photo, with them at all times.

I would definitely leave it on board... :>)

A photocopy would be sufficient in most port-of-call... if the physical passport is needed, like the above poster said, the cruise line would advise where you would need to take it with you.

In most countries that require them, local officials come on board and check them prior to clearing the ship.

Archived