Stingray City-Want to Snorkel But Can't Swim-Help

knotti

Hi I'm new to the board and I thank everyone one for any advice on this matter in advance!! :)

I am going on the Carnival Liberty next month (I'm very excited!!!) and will be going to the Cayman Islands. I really want to visit Stingray City and would like to go snorkeling. I chose this excursion because I read the water was not very deep ("chest high or 6 ft" I read). This is important to me because I CANNOT SWIM!!! :(

Can anyone advise me? Do you think it is unwise for someone that cannot swim to try this even in shallow water?

Oh yeah, if there is another spot you would recommend for someone that wants to experience the beauty but is "water shy" please let me know!! We go to Nassau, Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

Thanks!!

hi,

i have a friend who does not swim but loves to snorkel.. she wears a slightly inflated vest and floats on top of the water without any problem.... sting ray is mostly standing and letting the sting rays swim around you it isn't actually snorkeling.. they sometimes stop at another stop for snorkeling.. also nassau is an excellent place for snorkeling.. we have taken the ship's tour to rainbow reef and enjoyed it.. you will love snorkeling!!!

bruce-r, stingray city is so cool! you don't have to know how to swim,the water isn't very deep. You are on a sand bar so some areas are a little deeper than others, and you won't be the only one that don't know how to swim !! Just have fun, you'll love it ! Remember though, DON'T TOUCH YOUR BODY!! after feeding the stingrays.

Knotti - Are you comfortable in the water to begin with? If so I would say do the Stingray City trip. I've done the Stingray City tour through Carnival. The water level is relatively low. There is a ladder from the boat - you climb down into the water, so no need to jump in. I'm 5'5" and the water never came higher than the top of my chest but always below my neck. You are also wearing a personal floatation device (life jacket) so you can't sink. Sometimes it gets a little wavy/choppy due to number of boats/people in the area, but the PFD keeps you above the water. No swiming is needed. The water is so clear you can see straight down and the stingrays are absolutely amazing. If your travel companion can swim just stay close for the comfort factor. There were also 2 guides in the water with us. One took pictures the other was the one who handled the stingrays. I loved the trip, and if you have the opportunity to do it, I'd say go for it! The tour operator will allow you to stay on the boat, if you decide not to go in the water. Whatever you do , just ENJOY!

Linda H.

(I'll see you on the Roll Call Board!)

Knotti, I cannot swim either, but I've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii. I always wear a flotation vest, and all it needs is a couple of small puffs of air to inflate it. You don't want to over-inflate a vest as then it will be difficult to put your head in the water; you'll keep popping back up. As mentioned, there will be people from the tour boat in the water with the group and they will assist you if needed. Get your snorkel gear early if you can and practice in the pool.

Have a great trip!

OK - don't bother flames ... but I've got to say it again.

I stopped counting the number of people I've pulled out of the water a long time ago...including THREE family members.

If you can't swim you should never go into water deeper than your ankles...don't take baths....take showers. People drown in BUCKETS. People drown in pools with several lifeguards watching.

Using a flotation device is not a substitute for knowing how to swim.

I've taught people how to swim in 30 minutes...people who insisted they'd tried and failed b4. They probably did...they had the wrong teacher or attitude.

Find the Y ... ask around.... get a teacher. If you can snorkel with a vest you can swim without one... You won't win a prize for your swimming skills but you CAN learn 'drownproofing'. Actually it is those who have snorkeled with vests that SUDDENLY discover they can swim with just a few pointers....

It is a stupid way to die.....not stupid if you stayed away smartly but an accident happens...but stupid if you know you lack the skill and go anyway.

EVERYONE CAN LEARN TO SWIM.....I spent years teaching the handicap'd to swim.......don't tell me you can't

Learn or stay out of the water

I feel no satisfaction from pulling you out of the water.

dismounting soapbox.....

bruce-r, stingray city is so cool! you don't have to know how to swim,the water isn't very deep. You are on a sand bar so some areas are a little deeper than others, and you won't be the only one that don't know how to swim !! Just have fun, you'll love it ! Remember though, DON'T TOUCH YOUR BODY!! after feeding the stingrays.

Having never gone diving with stingrays, why shouldn't you touch your body after feeding the stingrays? Does it have to do with the fact that they find food by a sense of smell?

yeh !someome rubbed my wife's leg after feeding the stingrays and the sent from the squid (the rays food)caused the ray to go loking for the food. The ray MOUNTED her! looking for the squid. Totally freaked her out !! and she was done w/ the feeding and snorkling, she went back to the boat, sat and waited until we were done!

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go in the water either if I didn't know how to swim.

Stingray city is awesome. The water is shallow, esp. on the sandbar, and the rays come right up to you. I had rays come up my back, side, one practically kissed me he/she was crawling up my chest out of the water! We were able to feed them and that was interesting. It is one excursion I would highly recommend.

We just went to Grand Cayman Tuesday (2/5) and the water was very choppy at Coral Gardens. Both my husband and I are very experienced swimmers/snorkelers (both of us grew up on the beach, on boats, in the water!) and I even wore a PFD...and still water kept getting in the snorkel. A lot of people couldn't enjoy themselves. Should a non-swimmer snorkel in those conditions....I would hope not. Be careful out there, and you will have a fantastic time! Grand Cayman is absolutely gorgeous.

I would have to agree. If you cant swim, you shouldnt be going into the ocean when the depths are probably around 30-90'. Get some lessons, then try to snorkle. You would be suprised how fast even an experienced swimmer and diver can get tired.

Seeing how the first thing you do in SCUBA class is take a five-minute swimming test, I doubt that would help.

If its possible to learn to swim before you cruise you should do it. It will save a lot of headaches once you get there.

Hi, we were on the liberty in July of 07 and took the Carnival stingray tour. Be careful. We ended up on a catamarran called the Sundancer. It was a terrible experience. The motor on the boat burned so much oil that when the wind shifted we could not breathe and alot of us got headaches from the smell. Also the boat seemed to be the slowest on the ocean, all of the other tours sped right past us to get to the sandbar, we were the last ones there. Other than that I would highly reccomend going to the sandbar as this is an experience of a lifetime. The water is so beautiful and it is really just amazing. If you can book through someone else I would say undoubtedly go for it.

Just got back from the Carnival Legend 2/3-2/10. My wife who does not swim, and I booked the stingray city tour from Captain Marvin. My wife was very confortable standing in the chest deep water. It was probably the best part of our trip. Even if you decide Not to go in the water, you can see everything fine from the boat. The crew was very helpful with everyone and the captain allowed folks to hold on to the rope if they wanted to.

My wife has a dreadful fear of water over her head. Well, I bought her a mask, snorkel and fins. We went up to the county pool to practice. At first, she used a ski vest for a PFD (Personal Floatation Device). She did fine we swam over 20 laps (25 meter swim tank). The next ime we went, she used a snorkel vest we got for her. She did great. We swam over 30 laps. Last but not least, the last time we went, she used some type of a mid-body PFD. It buckles around your wasit and the float material is located on the small of the back. It worked great! We swam over 40 laps. What I tried to do is get her comfortable with her equipment and then let her swim. We're leaving for the Western Carribean on Friday of this week. I'm confident she'll be good to go. You just have to stay focused on the show in the water and try not to worry about the top of the water so much. Anyways, if my wife can do it, you can too......

Just spend some time getting comfortable with your equipment. Then get some laps in so you're confident with your new skills. You can either take your own snorkel vest or rent one on the cruise. Either way, take your own mask, snorkel and fins (if you like......) and then just have some fun. Remember, it isn't a race when you're snorkeling. Good luck.......

mrq202

Heh, heh...

Try having a four year old on your shoulders in SRC who grabs a squid bucket and dumps it over your head. Hungry rays coming up above shoulder level on all four sides. Kiddo had a blast as rays are his favorite critters. Kiddo's now 12.5 and a very accomplished diver.

yeh !someome rubbed my wife's leg after feeding the stingrays and the sent from the squid (the rays food)caused the ray to go loking for the food. The ray MOUNTED her! looking for the squid. Totally freaked her out !! and she was done w/ the feeding and snorkling, she went back to the boat, sat and waited until we were done!

I can't swim if my life depended on it. I am pretty much paranoid of water! But... on our first cruise, my husband bought all this snorkel gear for us, not knowing how I felt. We were in St. Thomas on a tour. We were in very deep water, and there were sea turtles everywhere... Tonnes of them. I put on my snorkel gear, and a blow up life vest, and went in. It was great. In Dominica, I didn't even wear the vest. The salt water makes u float. Just lay on your tummy, and relax and enjoy the amazing scenery! If I can do it... anyone can! Took our two young girls snorkeling, and the one is like me. She wouldn't take the snorkel gear off. She loved it!

Hi I'm new to the board and I thank everyone one for any advice on this matter in advance!! :)

I am going on the Carnival Liberty next month (I'm very excited!!!) and will be going to the Cayman Islands. I really want to visit Stingray City and would like to go snorkeling. I chose this excursion because I read the water was not very deep ("chest high or 6 ft" I read). This is important to me because I CANNOT SWIM!!! :(

Can anyone advise me? Do you think it is unwise for someone that cannot swim to try this even in shallow water?

Oh yeah, if there is another spot you would recommend for someone that wants to experience the beauty but is "water shy" please let me know!! We go to Nassau, Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

Thanks!!

The first night of scuba class I take all my non-swimmer students (and I do get them more often than many would think). I put them in a wetsuit and then begin the first water exercises. Unlike a "life jacket" the wetsuit is not cumbersome yet they still float. Once they realize this using a mask snorkel and fins is a breeze. I would suggest trying a wetsuit in a shallow pool, (under the direct supervision of a lifeguard or otherwise certified life saving professional) progressively moving deeper and see how you feel. You can rent wetsuits lots of places, usually for under $10. If it works then get your own so you don't have to worry if there will be one that fits at your destination.

Archived