Cropped pants for casual evening dining?

JosieJeangirl

Hello Everyone!

I've sailed many times before and have worn long skirts and dressier long

pants for casual dinner dining. Am going to Panama Canal this weekend and

wanted to try and take a few more "fancier" type of crop pants ( not denim)

for wearing to dinner. Anybody else thinking of doing this? Thanks for all

of your replies! Happy sailing!

Joanne:)

Capris, cropped pant, whatever you want to call it, that's all I ever wear in warm climates. I only dress up for dinner on formal nights!:D I've been on many cruises and on different cruise lines. I have found that most women and girls wear capris in warm climates.

What line are you cruising with?

I don't wear capris to dinner and only on some lines (Carnival, RCI, NCL) would I say they are commonly worn.

If you are on HAL or Celebrity (or any of the upscale lines) IME you will be in the small minority.

There are so many nice linen and silk blend capris/cropped pants available now, that I saw plenty of them on the younger passengers on our Oceania cruise in Jan. Beautiful put-together outfits with dressier sandals.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned with wearing them on HAL or Celebrity as well as the other mainstreams. If it is a Caribbean or warm weather cruise, they look and feel great for a casual night dinner as well as for the "country club casual" look.

I just wouldn't wear a casual cotton pair and polo for a dinner.

Believe me, last year I cruised on Princess, Carnival, and Holland America.

Most casual nights I wore nice dress type fabric capris with nice tops, sandals with a bit of a heel and a nice bag. The last time I was on Celebrity and RCL the same thing. I still like to bring a nice casual dress along for one casual evening but no need to worry you will be just fine.

There is much talk about certain lines being more upscale in dress but from what I see and I travel them ALL its all about the same atleast at the dinner hour, so just choose what you feel good in and pretty in and go for it :p

There is much talk about certain lines being more upscale in dress but from what I see and I travel them ALL its all about the same atleast at the dinner hour, so just choose what you feel good in and pretty in and go for it :p

My experience is quite different from yours. While I saw people dressed like slobs on RCI and Carnival at dinner and afterward, I have not yet seen this on HAL. Three HAL cruises over the past 24 months and I find them to attract a crowd that generally likes to dress for dinner. I have not yet seen jeans nor do I remember very many capris at all. Since I love clothes, I tend to notice what people wear.

RCI, NCL and Carnival IME are much more casual in the dining room than X or HAL. That is one reason we prefer HAL overall.

My experience is quite different from yours. While I saw people dressed like slobs on RCI and Carnival at dinner and afterward,

Wow nice....

You do realize that RCCL and Carnival dress code for the dining room does not go past dinner. Alot choose to eat in the buffet so they will be wearing shorts at dinner and after.........

We have never experienced slobs at dinner in the dining room on those lines.........

Well I can only state what I observed. Of course I have only done one Hal but where there were many ladies in dresses on the casual evenings there were also many in the more dressy capris and tops of a resort type.

Actually I have almost never seen people in the evenings dressed like slobs on any of my cruises in regards to going into the diningroom. We don't eat in any of the casual areas in the evening only the diningroom or specialty restaurants. During the day thats a completely different animal. Many people wearing what I wouldn't put on to work in the yard!!!

Can only post what I saw perhaps I was on a odd week.

In any event anyone wearing capris of a type that I and the others mentioned will be quite in step with the crowd in my opinion. :o

Wow nice....

You do realize that RCCL and Carnival dress code for the dining room does not go past dinner. Alot choose to eat in the buffet so they will be wearing shorts at dinner and after.........

We have never experienced slobs at dinner in the dining room on those lines.........

I have and really don't care to be seated in the dining room next to people in swim baggies, ratty t shirts and flip flops. We don't even bother with the dining room any more on RCI and avoid buffets period. On my last Carnival cruise there were quite a few shorts and tennis shoes in the dining room at dinner.

As for dressing down after dinner, I have seen that a lot on RCI and Carnival, far less on X and HAL. I don't care for it so we avoid sailing those lines that attract the casual crowd.

To each his own.

I have and really don't care to be seated in the dining room next to people in swim baggies, ratty t shirts and flip flops. We don't even bother with the dining room any more on RCI and avoid buffets period. On my last Carnival cruise there were quite a few shorts and tennis shoes in the dining room at dinner.

As for dressing down after dinner, I have seen that a lot on RCI and Carnival, far less on X and HAL. I don't care for it so we avoid sailing those lines that attract the casual crowd.

To each his own.

Which is it you don't bother with the dining room on RCCL or you just avoid sailing those lines;)

Your right about one thing.........to each his own.

Actually I have almost never seen people in the evenings dressed like slobs on any of my cruises in regards to going into the diningroom. Can only post what I saw perhaps I was on a odd week.

In any event anyone wearing capris of a type that I and the others mentioned will be quite in step with the crowd in my opinion. :o

I agree. We have never experienced slobs on any of our cruises in the dining rooms either. Could it be we were both on odd weeks lol!

Capris have been the norm on our cruises........

I just don't understand why people care what others are wearing for dinner? And even harder to grasp is why someone would care what others were wearing AFTER dinner. Wow.

OP...Capris are just fine! Throw on some heels and a cute top and its a great choice.

I just don't understand why people care what others are wearing for dinner? And even harder to grasp is why someone would care what others were wearing AFTER dinner. Wow.

OP...Capris are just fine! Throw on some heels and a cute top and its a great choice.

I'm taking dressy black ones and brown ones on my cruise in March. Just bought a silky summer dress top to go with the black ones (a bargain at 3.60!!!) with heels, accessories I feel they are fine for informal nights. Its nice too because then I'm comfortable for the rest of the evening!!!!!!

Wear them and have a good time!

Wow nice....

Neither have I,in the dining room or anywhere else !

There are so many nice linen and silk blend capris/cropped pants available now, that I saw plenty of them on the younger passengers on our Oceania cruise in Jan. Beautiful put-together outfits with dressier sandals.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned with wearing them on HAL or Celebrity as well as the other mainstreams. If it is a Caribbean or warm weather cruise, they look and feel great for a casual night dinner as well as for the "country club casual" look.

I just wouldn't wear a casual cotton pair and polo for a dinner.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The OP is simply asking about capri's and that's sort of like saying "Are pants okay in the dining room".

The question, IMO, really doesn't make sense.

If she's referring to a pair of casual khaki cropped pants, or a pair of beachy type drawstring crinkle cottons then, NO, they don't belong in the dining room. And they don't pair well with dressy tops or sandals to "dress them up".

However, if she's referring to a pair of nicely tailored silk cropped pants, or some other sort of dressier fabric, worn with a nice top and cute dressy sandals, then YES, they're appropriate for the dining room.

It's not about the length of the pants, but rather the fabric and the look of the pants and how the whole outfit is put together.

On a slightly different note: I honestly don't see why anyone wears cropped pants, unless you're very tall and have no butt and slim boyish hips. They make everyone look shorter and fatter. They look awful on most women I see wearing them. And if the wearer has thick ankles, they're even worse looking. I'm 5'6" and a size 6, and unfortunately carry my excess weight in my butt. I'd never wear a pair in either a casual or dressy fabric. I dress to flatter myself, not look worse. Is it so hot in summer that you'd die of heat exhaustion if your pants reached below your anke bone? LOL!

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The OP is simply asking about capri's and that's sort of like saying "Are pants okay in the dining room".

The question, IMO, really doesn't make sense.

If she's referring to a pair of casual khaki cropped pants, or a pair of beachy type drawstring crinkle cottons then, NO, they don't belong in the dining room. And they don't pair well with dressy tops or sandals to "dress them up".

However, if she's referring to a pair of nicely tailored silk cropped pants, or some other sort of dressier fabric, worn with a nice top and cute dressy sandals, then YES, they're appropriate for the dining room.

It's not about the length of the pants, but rather the fabric and the look of the pants and how the whole outfit is put together.

On a slightly different note: I honestly don't see why anyone wears cropped pants, unless you're very tall and have no butt and slim boyish hips. They make everyone look shorter and fatter. They look awful on most women I see wearing them. And if the wearer has thick ankles, they're even worse looking. I'm 5'6" and a size 6, and unfortunately carry my excess weight in my butt. I'd never wear a pair in either a casual or dressy fabric. I dress to flatter myself, not look worse. Is it so hot in summer that you'd die of heat exhaustion if your pants reached below your anke bone? LOL!

Jane, I would never wear apair of casual capris to dinner-that is my daywear around ship or on excursions. But a cropped pant-that is just above the ankle-I may-as long as it was fitted at the ankle-the baggie ones-even if they are made of silk just makes me look like a cow, much heavier then I really am.

I have never understood the differance between clam digger, capri and cropped pants. Every catalog I look at calls each length something differant-but what I call a capri- which hits halfway between the knee and upper calve-(MY defintion) I feel is too short to wear in the dinningroom at dinner-but as I said, if it is just above the ankle and fitted at the bottom -I have worn those. I had a nice pair made of linen a few years back that I wore to dinner on a cruise.

Hopefully I have not confused anyone. I am just thinking Cavier Gal may be talking about the shorter capris-and we may not actually disagree with her.

Archived