Could the sandbars be gone and the stingrays displaced??

bec2629

After Grand Cayman being hit as hard as it is, could it be possible that the sandbars could shift and there is no Stingray City? I know this is the least of their worries, but I am curious and know that their economy depends greatly on this excursion.

I would think Grand caymens economy is based more on all the International Banks there not excursion tours. But i hope all those that do provide such tours recover from the hurricane. I noticed when we were in GC that it was no where near as poor as most of the other Islands or ports of call and that has ot be from all the Banks there.

You're probably right about that. I know that over the last few years the islands now report to the US any new account that has been opened by a US citizen. Makes it difficult to hide all those millions:p I wonder if that has had an impact on their banking. :rolleyes:

I searched everything I could on Grand Cayman and the devastation left by Hurricane Ivan... I think, on Caymannetnews.com I found alot of info. Someone stated that the storm actually added sand to 7 mile beach so no erosion incurred. The worst flooding came from water from the north sound- where stingray city is. The water came across the street to the ocean. I can't say if the stingray where effected.. usually they go to deeper water and when the water calms down they come back- that's their dinner! I also read Turtle Farm is gone. Sorry to say. Caymanians are hopeful they will be ready for tourists asap.. I am so sad, we were to be there on Explorer of the Seas on Oct. 15. Hyatt is closed until December, Marriot is closed until around Oct.15. Red Sail Sports was evacuating their employees out of Grand Cayman to Miami.. there is marshall law there now. Alot of looting and some prisoners escaped from a prison. It will take some time , British Navy is there and others for relief efforts. Major banks will be up and running soon. It doesnt look like cruise ships will be going very soon...

You're probably right about that. I know that over the last few years the islands now report to the US any new account that has been opened by a US citizen. Makes it difficult to hide all those millions:p I wonder if that has had an impact on their banking. :rolleyes:

We spent a week in Grand Cayman two months ago. The credibility of the banking element was hurt by the Grisham novel (and movie), "The Firm," and later by the dimunition of the privacy elements after 9/11. The offshore insurance business is still thriving.

However a full 1/3 of their gov't revenues come from tourist related fees, taxes and tariffs. Every cruise passenger generates $US11.85 per capita fee. All tourist oriented goods (crystal, watches, jewellery, etc.) incur import duties. Hotel rooms have an occupancy tax.

Cruise pax counts are increasing dramatically (they have hit over 25,000 in one day on especially busy days; a lot for a country with a total population of 35,000 people) but their overnight tourist base has actually dropped slightly since 2000.

With no agriculture of any consequence and no industry at all, the Cayman Islands are dependent on tourism, banking and insurance for their economy to survive.

A resilient people, these folks will be back on their feet rapidly, but it will be a rough few months ahead.

I worried more that the Stingrays wouldn't have any food since they are used to the tourist feeding them. I know it is silly, when there is plenty of other sea life to eat.:o

Also, if the boats and transportation vans of those tour operators were destroyed, getting back on their feet will be touch with no means to take the tourist out.

Archived