Miami vs. FLL

momwith2boys

Getting from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami is quite easy and can be done through the Carnival or various other methods. The thing that you want to make sure of is that when booking your return flight make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back to Ft. Lauderdale. This is especially important if you are taking the transfer from Carnival because they wait til the bus is full. You should be able to find various posts on how to get to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale by searching. It it is significant savings I say go for it.

Hi mom - I live in Miami....but I ALWAYS flyin and out of FLL. I live about 45 minutes away from FLL, but the airport is so much nicer, seems less hectic, and significantly cheaper. The only qualm I have is that for those people who don't live here and don't have a means of transportation its a little more difficult b/c taxi's and shuttle services here are quite expensive. I know becuase I've gotten prices in the past to get a ride to FLL from my job or house and its been more than $50.00 for a one way. It became less expensive to just park my car at the aiport.

So you have to wiegh in your options. How much are you saving on your plane ticket? will it come out to the same if you end up getting a cheaper flight into FLL but paying a lot of money to get to the pier....which in turn would have been better to fly in to MIA....a taxi from MIA to the port is only about 20.00.

Hope this helps.

What does Carnival charge to shuttle from FLL to the port? Is that cheaper than taxi service? We have a VERY large group, currently 22 cabins booked, coming from Pa to Miami. This could get very hairy. When we checked into group airfare for our last cruise, the price per ticket was significantly more expensive than if we just each purchased our own airfare. Why is that???? I could never figure it out. I'll admit that I'm a planning freak! :D

Michelle

HAH...you sound like me. I'm a perpetual planner from running errands to planning a vacation and trying to make everything as smooth as possible.

Airlines as we all know are very finicky! I've never travelled with such a large group so I couldn't really answer that question except that sometimes you find cheaper fares in the least expected places....with that said....maybe the fact that there are so many of you.....you should book directly with carnival's shuttle service. I think thier transfers are like 20.00 per person or cabin don't remember...I looked this up when I flew into Puerto Rico last december for a cruise...but we ended up opting for a limo service...since it was 4 of us...we split the limo amount and I think it came out to the same as the cruise transfer only it was better.

Sorry I couldn't be more help....try calling Carnival to see what they charge...usually they will just add this to your S/S card or your bill at the end of your cruise I believe as well.

=)

What does Carnival charge to shuttle from FLL to the port? Is that cheaper than taxi service? We have a VERY large group, currently 22 cabins booked, coming from Pa to Miami. This could get very hairy. When we checked into group airfare for our last cruise, the price per ticket was significantly more expensive than if we just each purchased our own airfare. Why is that???? I could never figure it out. I'll admit that I'm a planning freak! :D

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Our group of 7 is cruising out of the Port of Miami in June. We are renting a van before embarking since we are going to be there a day early. We are catching the Carnival shuttle after the cruise since we will be flying out the same day. The cost from FLL is $16.00 OW and $32.00 RT. If you book your cruise directly with CCL, you will need to call at least 2 weeks before your cruise to reserve a spot. If you booked with a TA, your TA will need to call and reserve the transfer with Carnival. You will need your flight info. before you can reserve it though.

Good luck!

From FLL to Port Everglades most closeby hotels do offer shuttle service, or you could simply take a cab. It's not very far, probably 10 minutes away.

From FLL to the Port of Miami is another story though. I don't recall hearing of any hotels that will shuttle you that distance but there are a bunch of other ground transportation options.

If you're coming in the day before your cruise anymore I've been renting a car as a very cost effective transportation method. If you can fit all your party and their luggage in one car it can be less expensive that the ride from the Fort Lauderdale airport to Miami via other transportation options.

The Carnival shuttle service is $16 pp each way (March 04) between FLL & MIA pier. DD and I went in 2 days early, rented a car from Alamo FLL for about $60 , toured around and shopped, then returned the car to Alamo MIA and they shuttled us to the pier at no extra charge. having the car also allowed us to stay at a hotel further out which cost MUCH less than being near the pier in either FLL or MIA even with priceline.

If you rent a car just be careful of which agency. National and Budget DO NOT shuttle to the pier in MIA. Alamo and Thrifty do. Others ???

The Carnival shuttle service is $16 pp each way (March 04) between FLL & MIA pier. DD and I went in 2 days early, rented a car from Alamo FLL for about $60 , toured around and shopped, then returned the car to Alamo MIA and they shuttled us to the pier at no extra charge. having the car also allowed us to stay at a hotel further out which cost MUCH less than being near the pier in either FLL or MIA even with priceline.

If you rent a car just be careful of which agency. National and Budget DO NOT shuttle to the pier in MIA. Alamo and Thrifty do. Others ???

I have a few questions concerning your rental and the shuttle service by Carnival. Flying into Fort Lauderdale Oct. 31 for a Nov. 1 cruise.

What time did you drop your car off at Alamo? And what time did they get you to the pier? Finally, who did you go through to get shuttle service after the cruise? Carnival or your TA or does it not matter?

Thanks!

With a group that large, you might want to consider renting a large bus. We got married on a cruise, so we had over 40 people we had to get from FLL to the hotel in Miami where we were staying the night before our cruise. I hired a 45 passenger bus from Port Promotions and they charged $290 for the entire bus, excluding tip. If you have 22 cabins booked, I'm guessing you would have a group that large, so you might want to check into it. The website is http://www.portpromotions.com

Called Carnival, even if you do not get the shuttle booked in time (at least 2 weeks prior to your cruise via whatever TA you're using), you can book it on the cruise itself and charge it to your S&S. :) Good news to know, but I'm not going to take my chances.....

Now if I can just find out what time I should return my car to make it to the pier by 10:30am....

With a group that large, you might want to consider renting a large bus. We got married on a cruise, so we had over 40 people we had to get from FLL to the hotel in Miami where we were staying the night before our cruise. I hired a 45 passenger bus from Port Promotions and they charged $290 for the entire bus, excluding tip. If you have 22 cabins booked, I'm guessing you would have a group that large, so you might want to check into it. The website is www.portpromotions.com

Thanks, Jerseygirl! I'm going to look into this.

Michelle

Archived